Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My way of travel to in the morning presents bright sunlight as does the ride home at dusk. Even with sunglasses on and a tinted reflective shield, the glare from the sun can affect me constantly throughout the trip or suddenly and without real warning. Yesterday was an example of a ride home with a big and very bright sun as the centerpiece of the view ahead for eighty percent of the way - about 40 minutes on 45 & 55 mph roadways. It was near blinding at times with stark contrasting shadows from roadside buildings and trees. Every once in a while there would be a bit of relief as trees blocked it and then, bam! it was back in my eyes again!

What do you do in these circumstance?

·
Ducking for cover!
8,455 Posts
I use my visor :D

Really, there's not a lot you can do outside of relying heavily on your peripheral vision.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Doesn't That Cattle wagon you ride come with a 6ft high tinted windshield with defroster?

By the way it will be snowing in 3 weeks up there anyways so by the time June 2008 comes around the Sun will be in a different place.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
Try to look down and to the right of the lane or road keeping the traffic ahead in your peripheral vision. Same thing when cars blind you at night.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Are your sunglasses polarized? Is all of the glass your looking through really clean? Some helmets like Roof and HJC (HJC not released in the states yet) now come with a built in flip-down sunshade behind the regular visor. Can you move east of work? -The sun is at you back in the morning and evenings :)

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bagram_Matt said:
Are your sunglasses polarized? Is all of the glass your looking through really clean? Some helmets like Roof and HJC (HJC not released in the states yet) now come with a built in flip-down sunshade behind the regular visor. Can you move east of work? -The sun is at you back in the morning and evenings :)
Revo glasses that work phenomenally well, clean. Shoei helmet with tinted, reflective visor, clean.

Move, no.

:)

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Cheatin said:
Try to look down and to the right of the lane or road keeping the traffic ahead in your peripheral vision. Same thing when cars blind you at night.
:stupid:

·
Member #415
1,713 Posts
luxlamf said:
Doesn't That Cattle wagon you ride come with a 6ft high tinted windshield with defroster?

By the way it will be snowing in 3 weeks up there anyways so by the time June 2008 comes around the Sun will be in a different place.
:plause: :rofl:

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
When possible I duck my head down so that the sun is blocked by the helmet above the visor. I almost always wear my tinted visor.

It depends a lot on the roads I'm on. I have pulled over and waited before because I was concerned about other drivers being able to see me. A lesson learned from when I got T-Boned in a car at 16 because I didn't see a speeding car coming with the sun right behind it.

Most of the time, though, I just deal with it.

·
"Easy Wind"
179 Posts
I close my eyes......and pray;-)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think the only way to solve the situation 100% would be to move or find a job in the opposite direction.

I used to live in california, everyday thousand and thousand of people would make the 2 hr morning drive into Los Angeles, with full sun in their eyes. And then again on the way home. I thank God that my job was in the opposite direction. There is no possible I could have put up with that.

Hope you can find an acceptable alternative.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You make a good point, DLil... and on your ride home, traveling west, it's a good idea to remember that the oncoming traffic is as blinded as you were in the morning. Best to assume they don't see you at all, and the car waiting to left turn in front of you absolutley will.

·
Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
ViagROD said:
You make a good point, DLil... and on your ride home, traveling west, it's a good idea to remember that the oncoming traffic is as blinded as you were in the morning. Best to assume they don't see you at all, and the car waiting to left turn in front of you absolutley will.
.....and ride with hi beam on when the sun is at your back
to make you even more visable to the sun blinded drivers...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
ViagROD said:
. and on your ride home, traveling west, it's a good idea to remember that the oncoming traffic is as blinded as you were in the morning.
Actually, it is the westbound traffic that is blinded in the evening - at least on planets rotating counter-clockwise with a single sun... :D

Lil - bad news is you are blinded on both your morning and evening commutes. GOOD news is that you are very visible to oncoming traffic. Remember to be extra-wary of getting rear-ended at stops - those people are blinded too.

One solution may be to adjust your commute time for a few weeks. Or find a scenic route that runs in diagonals rather than east-west.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Actually, it is the westbound traffic that is blinded in the evening - at least on planets rotating counter-clockwise with a single sun...
Uhh... duh! (Insert limp dick smiley here) Steppenwolf's right, of course. I'll never get used to this planet. I'm returning to Vrscbdbx, where we have our choice of suns, and our Vrods have 60 gallon fuel tanks.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Steppenwolf said:
Actually, it is the westbound traffic that is blinded in the evening - at least on planets rotating counter-clockwise with a single sun... :D

Lil - bad news is you are blinded on both your morning and evening commutes. GOOD news is that you are very visible to oncoming traffic. Remember to be extra-wary of getting rear-ended at stops - those people are blinded too.

One solution may be to adjust your commute time for a few weeks. Or find a scenic route that runs in diagonals rather than east-west.

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen.

Alex,
Changing routes is much easier than changing where I live and/or my job.
Changing planets might take a consultaion with our very own Gazoo.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts