Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When riding on long trips, how often do you stop and get off your ride to stretch or simply take a break?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I have strict rules about stops. Below are the reasons I would stop
1)need gas
2)need gas
3)mechanical issues
4)arrived at destination

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Every 1 1/2 hours, for gas!

·
Dances with Rain!
3,713 Posts
Depends on where I am going, who I am with, and what time of day it is.
I like to take my time, if I have time that is.
But usually I go around 125 miles then get off and take about 15 minutes to stretch, gas, pee, water up and motor on.

JIm

·
Check that P clamp!
686 Posts
I stop every couple hours for gas and sometimes in between if I see something I want to get a picture of. If I had a big enough fuel tank I would probably stay on the bike for 3 or 4 hours at a time.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
It depends on the circumstances. I think it's safe to say you have no choice but to stop when you run out of fuel. This should be considered the longest interval for resting a bit but if time permits it is wiser to stop more often. Enjoy the proverbial roses.

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
For the past two years, I have ridden down to North Carolina to ride with a few forum members, it roughly 350 miles. I only stop for
1) fuel, I usually run about 95-110 miles, then stop (still have baby tank)
2) have to use the 'facilities" so bad I can't wait until the next gas stop
3) I eat/smoke a cig on one of the gas stops

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
It depends on which bike I'm riding, but fuel range is usually the factor of how long I ride.
I can go a lot farther on my Honda ST1300 with it's 7.7 gallon fuel tank that I can on my Sportster with it's 3.5 gallon tank.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
A long trip to get somewhere? Gas, food & water when needed, roughly every 1.5 hours.

A long day of riding (i.e. Dragon Rally)? Every 30-45 min or so to check out the scenery & make sure everyone is ok & so we can say "man, that road is awesome".

:)

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
On trips to Iowa and South Dakota last year - whenever I ran out of gas so about every 1 1/2-2 hours to gas up, hit the facilities, get something to drink, stretch out, etc.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
every 110 to 125 miles.. depending on mileage .. lol..
Olive's about right! Except with my great full gage if I trusted the reading it would be every 35-45 miles:bash:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seating Positions

i sat on a v rod and then a v rod muscle and noticed the handles bars were lower on the muscle, i have not ridden either, advice please, i like the Muscle would do max 100 miles a day, would one get back ache, how comfortable the ride and would you put a 3/4 windshield on , views on both bikes please
be safe
thanks
Mitch

·
Registered
361 Posts
i sat on a v rod and then a v rod muscle and noticed the handles bars were lower on the muscle, i have not ridden either, advice please, i like the Muscle would do max 100 miles a day, would one get back ache, how comfortable the ride and would you put a 3/4 windshield on , views on both bikes please
be safe
thanks
Mitch

I can put in a 100 miles on VRSCF no problem, no pain. I am 6'1" tall. I don't have a windshield but that would clearly help especially if your doing highway riding. I would also put in 100 miles on stock Sporty, even the seat was stock, without a problem. But I do feel better after doing the same ride on my F. I get there a little quicker too.:)

·
streetfighter
50 Posts
Everyone here sounds like hardley riders drove my 06 vrsca to pine island fl last august tank 2 tank there partied 9 days only had bike for transportation whole time there tank 2 tank back almost 6000 mi california this year streetfighter

1 - 20 of 31 Posts