Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm cool now..RIGHT!
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched this site and feel that I could easily do the 5000 mile checkup with an oil change and looking over everything (which I do anyway, each time I clean it well). What mile service would involve maintenance that is probably too specific or specialized for the average cycle hobbyist? 10K, 15k?, 20K?

I know that there are certainly some 'purists' out there that feel you need to bring it to the dealership EVERY time. But, to me, biking is my hobby. I don't ask someone to come over and finish staining my end table that I make in the garage and I don't want someone changing my oil when I can do it myself. I understand that adjusting the valves gets beyond my skill level, but if I can't do basic maintenance, what makes me different than a soccer mom that can't put gas in the car? (no offense soccer moms) :stilpoke:

What mile point do I probably need a skilled mechanic?

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
For me it's the valve adjustments. I can do (and have tools for) everything else. I even do my own tire changes (on a friends No-Mar machine). You have to decide what you are comfortable with.

·
Rollin' Hills
769 Posts
I'am pretty-much with VRODER, here. Fact is yer' ahead of me on the tire thing. I pull the wheels, and go to my friend to swap-out the rubber. If you're not using Amsoil already, I would suggest talking to Ken, ( O2 man98)about that. He's a good man to work with. BTW--You'll find answers to just about anything about the ROD, right here. Right MAX?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
Rollin' Hills said:
I'am pretty-much with VRODER, here. Fact is yer' ahead of me on the tire thing. I pull the wheels, and go to my friend to swap-out the rubber. If you're not using Amsoil already, I would suggest talking to Ken, ( O2 man98)about that. He's a good man to work with.
Ditto, :them: , The actual workings of valve check and adjustment are not that difficult, just time consuming and if necessary you'll probably have to order and wait for shims.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts