Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Australia stamped on the inside of my wheel rims.

(I know we won the World cup, but did not need to feel I am riding over them each time I ride my rod.)

The bike is a 2004 Vrsca built on 08/03 UK spec.

Most odd to have Oz wheels on it, is this the same for everyone else, due to them being manufactured in Australia?

·
Registered
974 Posts
We don't get enough from decent,friendly countries

:2cents
Better than China !
:2cents :whack:
BobT

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Bird1e It is my understanding that oz is one of the largest makers of aluminum wheels in the world. They make a large amount of the wheels for GM as well.

Max

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Go figure!

As for the World Cup crack, enjoy it while you have it and pray Wilkinson can still kick when we see you in France in 2007!:D

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
You need two things to make aluminum wheels: abundant bauxite deposits (aluminum ore) as well as plentiful cheap electric power. Thanks to several Government subsidized hydroelectric schemes, Australia has plenty of both. Ergo, many aluminum wheels are made in Australia.

The cost of electric power to refine and smelt aluminum is probably the largest single component in wheels, far exceeding that of labor. For that reason you probably won't see wheel manufacturing going to places like China anytime soon (China needs all the electric power it can get to supply its growing industrial and household markets. Most of the power output of the huge new dam program in China is already spoken for.)

As an aside, I believe that the swingarm on the V-Rod is also sourced from 'Down Under.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the response's keep them coming:notworthy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts