Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Wanted to pick everyone's brain about my dilemma. I bought a set of rims off of ebay to either powder coat or chrome. Unfortunately the person didn't pack them well and the rear was damaged in transit. (I stupidly didn't pay for the insurance and the seller stated he would not be responsible unless I did . . . I'm an idiot, I know . . . but thats for another thread)

So my question is this. Is the rim still usable? The area around the bearing is scuffed and half of one of those tabs is chipped off. I've attached an image of what I mean.

Thanks in advance for any advice, anyone can give. I appreciate it!

Matthew

Attachments

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
IMO It is usable and should not pose any problems since it is only missing half of the tab.

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spaz said:
IMO It is usable and should not pose any problems since it is only missing half of the tab.
Thanks.

I'm embarrassed to say that since I've never even had this part of the bike apart before that I'm not sure what the tabs do? Is this where the cush drive goes and then the cover over them?

Thanks again.

·
The Hawk
3,892 Posts
From the looks of it those tabs are just for alignment and do not receive any torque from the drive train, you should be OK to run that rim.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Just for grins n' giggles... which carrier brought it in. Regardless of packaging, that was handled so roughly it broke METAL pieces off. I'd consider filing a claim with the carrier anyway.

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elgavilan said:
From the looks of it those tabs are just for alignment and do not receive any torque from the drive train, you should be OK to run that rim.

Mike

Thanks!

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LiquidSilver said:
Just for grins n' giggles... which carrier brought it in. Regardless of packaging, that was handled so roughly it broke METAL pieces off. I'd consider filing a claim with the carrier anyway.

It was UPS, but thats was my other bonehead maneuver. I tossed the boxes and a friend said that without the boxes as evidence, I'm pretty much SOL.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Sorry to say....but my Sherlock Holmes comment here is that damage did not happen in shippment. did you happen to find any pieces of the wheel in the box? Did the box have any visible damage from the outside in the damaged area of the wheel?

:bs:

·
Making the UK Fatter
2,606 Posts
It looks fine and usable to me, as already mentioned those tabs are just locators, and as long as the "mating" surfaces are smooth it should all bolt up OK

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
myvrodrocks said:
Sorry to say....but my Sherlock Holmes comment here is that damage did not happen in shippment. did you happen to find any pieces of the wheel in the box? Did the box have any visible damage from the outside in the damaged area of the wheel?

:bs:
Yup. There was a hole worn through the minimal bubble wrap and a small hole in the exterior if the box. My theory is that the majority of the damage was caused by the weight of the front rim on top of this one since there was some minor scuffs on the front rim that was packed on top. The bouncing around in planes and trucks wore the whole and any evidence of debris is probably in the belly of a UPS 727. When I opened them, I saw the damage right away. I've never bought anything off of ebay before without the insurance, so I tossed the boxes and said. "No prob" I'll email the guy and get it squared away. I went through all of my Paypal stuff and correspondence to discover that I never checked off the insurance box in my haste. Plus his auction clearly stated that he wasn't responsible without insurance. To add insult to injury once the buyer mentioned I could take it up with UPS, the trash man had already taken the evidence away.

So thats where I am and how I got here, mostly with my own stupidity. I'm glad most people are thinking the rim is still usable, because otherwise I was going to have to figure out a way to make a coffee table out of it.

Thanks again.

Matthew

·
Will Work For Mod $$
2,866 Posts
It's not the carriers fault....the bone head who shipped it did not protect the center of the wheel with hard foam or heavy cardboard....I had the same thing happen to me when I bought a HD chrome rear wheel off of e-bay...the seller didn't want to know nothing either.....I sold it for a loss of about $125.

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mr_vrodder said:
It looks fine and usable to me, as already mentioned those tabs are just locators, and as long as the "mating" surfaces are smooth it should all bolt up OK
Thanks, very much!

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
synseer said:
My first bike had beat up rims similar to what you posted here...they worked fine the duration I used that bike. Looks cosmetic and you can probably get it powdercoated to cover it up or paint it with that heavy duty krylon stuff. :2cents:

Awesome, thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
f.matthew.2 said:
Thanks.

I'm embarrassed to say that since I've never even had this part of the bike apart before that I'm not sure what the tabs do? Is this where the cush drive goes and then the cover over them?

Thanks again.
I'm pretty sure those tabs are to locate the rear rotor. Nothing I'd be worried about. If your rims are perfect then I'd put this one on your bike and send your's out to be powdercoated.

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bproulxvrod said:
I'm pretty sure those tabs are to locate the rear rotor. Nothing I'd be worried about. If your rims are perfect then I'd put this one on your bike and send your's out to be powdercoated.
Hadn't thought about swapping them that way, but that's a good idea. Thanks Brian for the suggestion, I Appreciate it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts