Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had there rear bearings go out after 5000 miles?

I took my 08 VRSCDX to the Dealer today and found out that the noise coming from the rear end is bad wheel bearings. I was told that the air shocks I put on could be adding extra pressure to the axle and that might not be covered under warranty.
I politely told him he was full of it and they are replacing them under warranty. (Warranty runs out in 3 weeks)

On a side note: does it piss anyone else off that any work that needs to be done at a dealer is a two trip process? One to diagnose and order parts, as no one keeps any V-Rod parts in stock, and second trip to fix the problem.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
air shocks has no effect on wheel bearings.. hd had a rash of wheel bearing failures on v-rods in 08.. we replaced more than a few under warranty.. it is a fact of life with the economy like it is that parts dept`s aren`t keeping as much in stock as in years past.. i think that the bearings weren`t being installed correctly at the factory for a short period of time because none of the bikes had later problems after installing new bearings..

·
In the Shark Tank!!!
1,633 Posts
Let us do some simple physics. you on bike with stock or air shocks equals same weight on rear axle. If you lower the bike and ride as low as you can will change the angle of the shock but all your weight will be on the front or rear axle.

Ask them which math book they are using, pre cromagnum or pre crustation period...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's good to hear. I didn't like the idea of replacing wheel bearings every 5000 miles.

I get why dealers don't carry a lot of parts in stock money wise. That doesn't mean I like it.
The reason I normally hear from dealers is "V-Rods don't break down enough for them to carry parts for them". I just don't like being told, and I quote "We don't want to spend time looking at your bike as we don't carry parts for it and wouldn't be able to fix it even if we found the problem." After 2 days I got them to look at it for 5 minutes and they replaced the oil filter that another dealer installed wrong at the 1000 mile service causing the oil leak.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mr. Sanddman,
Can you describe the noise?
Was it all the time or only under certain conditions?

I'm getting a noise, but only under decelleration at slow speeds, maybe cause can't hear it at high speeds, don't know.

Any way I could check for this? Dealer is 185 miles away. Would bad wheel bearing cause the hub area to get hot?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sound was a low pitch vibration sound. I sounded like there was a high spot on something that rubbed on every rotation.
I couldn't hear it at high speeds. Best heard with clutch in coming up in a stop sign.
If I put my hand on the upper belt guard I could feel the vibration also.

Jacking up the bike and spinning the tire by hand I could hear it.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The sound was a low pitch vibration sound. I sounded like there was a high spot on something that rubbed on every rotation.
I couldn't hear it at high speeds. Best heard with clutch in coming up in a stop sign.
If I put my hand on the upper belt guard I could feel the vibration also.

Jacking up the bike and spinning the tire by hand I could hear it.

I hope that helps.
Yes, thank you. Mine seems to stop if i pull in the clutch in first gear. If wheel bearing, shouldn't stop if pull in the clutch.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hey man, check your belt alignment...look for the simple things. A belt out of alignment can make all kinds of noise. Your bearing would make heat if it was damaged. This would be from the extra friction produced by them. good Luck...Blaise

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
do any of you guys have wheel play? on my 08dxa my rear wheel moves back & forth a little to much i think.

·
Registered
54 Posts
do any of you guys have wheel play? on my 08dxa my rear wheel moves back & forth a little to much i think.
None at all on my 08 DX. Are you checking with the weight on the tire or is it bike in a lift? Sure it is your wheel and not the swing-arm assembly?

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You guys think a Harley dealer is bad,wait til you take your Chevy,yep I wrote Chevy,into the dealer and they tell you that you have to wait til the end of the month for the zone rep to tell them if the repair is covered.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
None at all on my 08 DX. Are you checking with the weight on the tire or is it bike in a lift? Sure it is your wheel and not the swing-arm assembly?
hd recently installed a new sw. arm pivot bolt/kit...rear wheel still has play. under load it doesn't move as much as if on a lift.

·
Registered
54 Posts
hd recently installed a new sw. arm pivot bolt/kit...rear wheel still has play. under load it doesn't move as much as if on a lift.
Do you mind telling my why they put a new swing-arm kit on your machine...Might be a little more history here that could be helpful in identifying your problem....Blaise

·
Registered
962 Posts
not read it all ! but my VRSCDX rear right side wheel bearing collapsed after 3500 miles from new !

due to swingarm play Pivot nut just fell off !

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
Do you mind telling my why they put a new swing-arm kit on your machine...Might be a little more history here that could be helpful in identifying your problem....Blaise
i posted about my sw. arm problems in other threads, it's exhausting to keep repeating myself but hey wtf, here we go, i'll try to make this short. noticed when on turns my bike wobbled (swayed) more than normal. checked my shocks (arnott air ride), checked the rear wheel & found it making a little clunk & had some play. so now i'm thinking it's the bearings, brang it by a forum members (ERMS) place for 2nd opinion, he immediately pointed out that the sw. arm pivot bolt had play. brang to dealer, they only replaced the bearing/sleave doomeehicky, not the pivot bolt or rear wheel bearing. when they put it all back together they installed my spacers wrong & fuked everything up (more of this on another thread). so i rode it & it was still loose, infact felt like it had more play in the rear wheel & sw. arm, so they ordered me a pivot bolt kit & installed but i still have rear wheel play & clunking when i pull the wheel towards me. i also had a clacking noise, they (hd) blamed it on my air shocks. i trouble shooted the noise, disassembled all guards & sure enough the belt is hitting the guards & the first time the belt tension was loose, the 2nd time the belt seemed fine, it still had belt slap but not as much as the first time. so i'm at the point do i trust these a-holes to make a 3rd attempt to get it right or try to fix myself or write a poison letter to HQ's.

·
LOS ANGELES
1,755 Posts
My rear wheel bearing was replaced at 20,000 miles under extended warranty. I didn't hear any rear wheel bearing noise but my rear pulley was rubbing against the upper belt guard causing it to scracth the side of the pulley damaging the chrome. The dealer replaced the bearing under extended warranty but I had to pay to replace the rear pulley (Reactor Billet Sprocket - Chrome) for $ 499.95 plus tax.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had that same decellerating, low speed humm, I rode in a circle and can feel the back brake vibrating like crazy (I put my hand on it) I also have about a quarter inch of play(rt-left) in the rear wheel when I jack up the back tire. I havent started replacing parts yet but it has got to be swingarm bearing/bushing or the rear wheel bearings that are throwing the back brakes out of alignment. I have 24K on my bike.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts