Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have blown apart my new to me muscle and find that half the outer bearing race falls out when not held together. When assembled they look like a sealed bearing but there is no apparent point of failure. The balls are clean and in good condition. Is this correct and if so, should I reassemble with any grease or lube? Thanks

· Registered
859 Posts
that half the outer bearing race falls out when not held together. When assembled they look like a sealed bearing but there is no apparent point of failure. The balls are clean and in good condition. Is this correct and if so, should I reassemble with any grease or lube? Thanks
If it has balls, then it should be a sealed bearing........... no race
Race is used with tapered bearings.................
I haven't seen tapered bearings used on V's, but I've been wrong before

· Registered
6,455 Posts
I have blown apart my new to me muscle and find that half the outer bearing race falls out when not held together. When assembled they look like a sealed bearing but there is no apparent point of failure. The balls are clean and in good condition. Is this correct and if so, should I reassemble with any grease or lube? Thanks
Wheel bearings are sealed and unitized. There is an issue with the one you describe. Replace it and if the bike has some miles on it replace the other side bearing as well.
Ron

· "Vrod King"
959 Posts
If you have it apart, spend the bucks and go with ceramic bearings. I'm running them in both my '09 and '07. No problems and what a big different it is. :D The guys at World Wide Bearings can set you up.

• Helpful
Reactions: frogman_h2o

· VRSC est -03
3,656 Posts
Agree, get a new bearing/s, ceramic or not. But something is wrong, the outer race should not fall out by itself. Do a closer look at the hub.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Agreed- that’s a failed bearing. On a similar note… I have always (when I’m changing tires) popped the seal out of the bearings and packed them with bearing grease. Yes I realize there are those that will have issues with this, but i feel more grease is never a bad thing

1 - 7 of 7 Posts