Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
George
5,411 Posts
Holy Shite! are those CRACKS????? or just grease trails?

·
George
5,411 Posts
I guess if there's an up-side that'd be it! Its hard to tell in the pix, but it looks like the grease is coming from between the wheel bore and the outer race.... any sign of the bearing spinning in the wheel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
havn't investigated anything yet, it's still on warrenty so I'm gonna bring it in n see what they say. grease coming out of any bearing usually means there is some heat somewhere

·
George
5,411 Posts
Stunning1 said:
havn't investigated anything yet, it's still on warrenty so I'm gonna bring it in n see what they say. grease coming out of any bearing usually means there is some heat somewhere
Agreed.... but there are variables...... if the grease is passing the seal, might be a bad seal..... or too much grease. But if it is coming between the wheel and the race, there's a size issue of either the wheel or the bearing.. or the bearing is spinning in the bore.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
I had the samething happen on my '02. They replaced the bearings. They are sealed bearings so they are non-serviceable.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
bproulxvrod said:
I had the samething happen on my '02. They replaced the bearings. They are sealed bearings so they are non-serviceable.

I had this happen on my 03 pulley bearing and it was replaced under warranty even after it expired with some :stilpoke: ing.

·
Premium Member
2,685 Posts
I had it happen on my rear 240 reactor. Makes a hell of a noise when the bearings are falling apart!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
While the bearings are called sealed bearings the seal isn't air tight by any stretch of the imagination. They are simply over packed bearings with a rubber seal installed. Often they will weap a small amount over time. Your call to get them replaced but just having grease come out is far from a failure. If you could see the sealed wheel bearings on cars about 99% look like that. Mine did that early on my 02, I wiped it off and it didn't re-appear. Good to have them checked but failed bearings make a hell of a noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts