Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 197 Posts

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then out of my exhaust comes oil in the form of smoke. What causes the oil to back up in the turbo and blow out of the exhaust. It is fine most of the time but every now and then this happens.

Does this happen to anyone else? It seems to happen when sitting in traffic or letting the bike for some time.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
It really sounds like the turbo seals are wearing on it. You will get oil seepage when the engine sits for a while and also when very hot.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dmlkm said:
Every now and then out of my exhaust comes oil in the form of smoke. What causes the oil to back up in the turbo and blow out of the exhaust. It is fine most of the time but every now and then this happens.

Does this happen to anyone else? It seems to happen when sitting in traffic or letting the bike for some time.

Thanks.
The feed tube for the oil line can be an issue. Inside the top fitting of the turbo is a fitting with a very fine hole in it to regulate the oil flow. Some of the bikes because of running higher oil pressure will force oil past the seals from time to time. You can contact Nick and he will supply you with a fitting that has a smaller hole in it since your bike may have higher oil pressure. Usually the oil goes past the seal when at speed you just see the smoke when you slow down at idle. Simple fix.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Max said:
The feed tube for the oil line can be an issue. Inside the top fitting of the turbo is a fitting with a very fine hole in it to regulate the oil flow. Some of the bikes because of running higher oil pressure will force oil past the seals from time to time. You can contact Nick and he will supply you with a fitting that has a smaller hole in it since your bike may have higher oil pressure. Usually the oil goes past the seal when at speed you just see the smoke when you slow down at idle. Simple fix.
Thanks Max. I remember when I 1st put the turbo on with the bike running to check the oil return I opened the oil filler cap. Oil came out all over the place. It was an oil extravaganza. My oil pressure runs from about 50 to 75 PSI normally. Only when it gets real hot does it go down to 37 PSI at idle.

Dave

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dmlkm said:
Thanks Max. I remember when I 1st put the turbo on with the bike running to check the oil return I opened the oil filler cap. Oil came out all over the place. It was an oil extravaganza. My oil pressure runs from about 50 to 75 PSI normally. Only when it gets real hot does it go down to 37 PSI at idle.

Dave
Dave it honestly takes less then five minutes to change the fitting, give Nick a call when you get a chance and I'm sure he will be happy to provide you with the updated fitting.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Max said:
Dave it honestly takes less then five minutes to change the fitting, give Nick a call when you get a chance and I'm sure he will be happy to provide you with the updated fitting.
Thanks. I will. Glad to see I can post again!!!

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Max said:
After thinking about this, it doesn't make sense - someone on the list said they tried this fitting and it didn't work. Seems if oil pressure was the issue then it would do it when the pressure is highest but it happens when the pressure is the lowest, at idle. But from talking with someone else seems to be the hot oil getting too thin because of the oil supply coming from the hot side before it goes into the oil cooler. Theory is that the oil supply going to the turbo should be coming from the cool side after leaving the oil cooler.

I may try this because yesterday it happened again only after I had to idle for some time.

·
Banned
53 Posts
Smoke from exhaust

From the OF housing it is at the hotest point at idle, look in your sevice manual in the engine section. You will see a temp. map on oil flow from one side of the oil cooler to the other side.

The oil temp map shows the hotter side to be on the right side of the bike or engine. The left oil line (above the oil fill cap) is the cold side; at idle the temp of this hose is (95 degree out door temp) about 110 - 128 degrees, I can hold my hand on it.

The other hose (hot side) is around 280-296-300 degrees; if you use this hot oil to feed the turbo, it will seep past the turbo oil seals. The turbo will heat the oil up more, and the oil will flow like water.

I pulled the compressor side intake pipe off, I put a paper towel inside to soak up a lot of oil.
Run the bike with out the intake pipe, everything looks good for about eight min, than boom! Oil in turbo housing, it's so much oil inside when reving to 1500-1600 RPM the oil spits out.

When riding around though, there is no oil smoke on accell or on decell.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know Max has a lot of miles on his turbo but also after thinking about this...the oil coming from the oil filter housing is the hottest oil - it is on its way to the oil cooler (right?). So then we are taking hot oil that is destined to be cooled sending it to the turbo and making it hotter and then sending right back in the engine without even cooling that. If I'm totally correct I don't like this at all.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
dmlkm said:
I know Max has a lot of miles on his turbo but also after thinking about this...the oil coming from the oil filter housing is the hottest oil - it is on its way to the oil cooler (right?). So then we are taking hot oil that is destined to be cooled sending it to the turbo and making it hotter and then sending right back in the engine without even cooling that. If I'm totally correct I don't like this at all.
Is there any truth to this?:wazzup:

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
dmlkm said:
That is exactly how it works. Instead of going through the cooler and then on to the engine, it travels to the turbo and then back into the sump.

Would this bother ME? No, just run a good Full synthetic oil to protect from the added heat.

·
Banned
53 Posts
It would best to cut the left (cold side) side oil cooler hose and install a 3/8 male by 3/8 male by 1/8 female. This would send nice cool oil to the turbo and no more oil in the intake track.

dmlkm - the parts will be here this Wendsday, I will get you all the part numbers.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
o2man98 said:
That is exactly how it works. Instead of going through the cooler and then on to the engine, it travels to the turbo and then back into the sump.

Would this bother ME? No, just run a good Full synthetic oil to protect from the added heat.
I use...um, what's it called - Amsoil, yeah that's it :). But, still after letting the bike sit the oil gets too hot then too thin and blows smoke. I was in construction traffic last Friday and it was embarrasing. After moving 10 feet every minute sure enough there comes the smoke. Then this Sunday I was out and had to get off the bike to talk to someone (was in the 80s) same thing happened.

I know Max said to get the other fitting, but someone already did this that has the same problem as I do and it didn't work.

I think Bryon summed it up best a few posts ago. He seems to know a lot about this stuff - it's how he makes a living.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bryon muller said:
It would best to cut the left (cold side) side oil cooler hose and install a 3/8 male by 3/8 male by 1/8 female. This would send nice cool oil to the turbo and no more oil in the intake track.

dmlkm - the parts will be here this Wendsday, I will get you all the part numbers.
Thanks!!!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dmlkm said:
I think Bryon summed it up best a few posts ago. He seems to know a lot about this stuff - it's how he makes a living.
I have been a certified ASE master for over 30 years I would think I would have had to learn a little something during that time. :rofl:

I guess over the years I have worked with a hundred or so turbos with everything from seals leaking to impellers locking up. The oil isn't forced past the seal while your sitting stopped, thats just the time in which the rpm is low enough and the heat is great enough that the oil will show up worse. It is burning oil all the time your just diluting it much more at rpm and it doesn't show up as badly because it can be forced out in liquid form rather then burning it. If you don't want to try the fitting then fine. I was just trying to help. Cutting a line and installing a fitting may or may not have the desired effect. You need to aim the oil at the fitting and not just run it by it. We have found over the years that T fittings in hoses can have some unique effects because of the venture effect and how the flow is moving. If I t-ed a line at some point I would double check the flow I got but honestly the difference in temp of the oil is probably about 40 degrees and nothing compared to the heat of the turbo.

If your oil is in the intake track then my guess would be you have damaged a piston or ring groove. I think running around texas with it 114 or so outside that if the hot oil was an issue that I would have found it by now after 20k turbo miles.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Max said:
I have been a certified ASE master for over 30 years I would think I would have had to learn a little something during that time. :rofl:

I guess over the years I have worked with a hundred or so turbos with everything from seals leaking to impellers locking up. The oil isn't forced past the seal while your sitting stopped, thats just the time in which the rpm is low enough and the heat is great enough that the oil will show up worse. It is burning oil all the time your just diluting it much more at rpm and it doesn't show up as badly because it can be forced out in liquid form rather then burning it. If you don't want to try the fitting then fine. I was just trying to help. Cutting a line and installing a fitting may or may not have the desired effect. You need to aim the oil at the fitting and not just run it by it. We have found over the years that T fittings in hoses can have some unique effects because of the venture effect and how the flow is moving. If I t-ed a line at some point I would double check the flow I got but honestly the difference in temp of the oil is probably about 40 degrees and nothing compared to the heat of the turbo.

If your oil is in the intake track then my guess would be you have damaged a piston or ring groove. I think running around texas with it 114 or so outside that if the hot oil was an issue that I would have found it by now after 20k turbo miles.
My wife is ASE certified too. Not that it has anything to do with this...

I can try the fitting, no problem. Nick has not gotten back to me though.

And Max, I hardly know you (I have talked to you on the phone) but I knew you'd mention the miles on your turbo (see post above) and the Texas heat :).

I'm just sick of the smoke. My bike only has 4K miles on it and I don't abuse the bike - I broke the bike in the way I planned to ride (that is, I didn't baby it like the owner's manual says) and waited to install the turbo until 1K with new Amsoil. If I'm riding around town no problem. But once I have to sit for a "long" time - SMOKEY. I'd like to NEVER see smoke come out of the exhaust.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dmlkm said:
My wife is ASE certified too. Not that it has anything to do with this...
You made the comment he did this for a living, I probably have as many years turning wrenches as any one on the forum. Big difference between passing an ase test and being an ase re-ceritified master several times over. Common sense dictates you always try the easiest known issues first but you go what ever direction you like. I won't bother here anymore.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Max said:
I won't bother here anymore.
Sorry, seems like I offended you. Seems like things are really getting touchy on this list lately. Now I know why I'm getting private messages on this subject. I don't see why we can't have an open discussion back and forth and share our thoughts etc. whatever they may be...I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
dmlkm said:
I don't see why we can't have an open discussion back and forth and share our thoughts etc. whatever they may be...I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

What are you talking about? Am I reading the wrong thread here?

Keep in mind that if people feel the need to be secretive and send you PM's it may be because the information they are giving you may not be 100% on the up and up and that in public it would be pointed out how flawed the information might be. Trust me there is nothing secretive about the Trask system or any issues that may arise and we do everything we can to help people that have them. I simply offered a suggestion to you and you pointed out to me that a person with 39 post, short time member that half his post are about selling his bike may know more because he does this for a living and yes that I found somewhat offensive. The only thing not allowed here as far as turbo post is information about one shit bag self destructing pile of shit turbo that I can't even mention the name of the manufacture or they will send me stupid threats of suits. If you guess the right name though you can do internet searches and it will yield hundreds if not thousands of failures and terrible customer service reported on hundreds of websites. Any trask question you can post here, any reference to you not being able to is just plain wrong and misleading to people.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
OK I had to make a trip to the hospital but they have wireless so here is my input on the new oil line location.

Your turbo is running at and above 600 degree's this is a fact the difference in oil temp is not worth the effort to start with but the oil passes through so fast that dropping it even if 40 degrees would make almost no difference. IMHO

T in an oil pressure line that goes up to 80 psi first of all your going to restrict engine oil feed with the T itself unless you build a new line that is larger then the current line so you can put a smaller T in without causing some restriction. Not to mention you better have some good fittings or dealing with an oil line blowing off from a bad crimp or cheap fitting is going to be a mess. Meaning you better take the line to a good hydraulic shop and have it built correct, just throwing a T in with hose clamps could be a very dangerous thing and will most likely offer a source of oil seeping in time even with a quality hose.

You stated the fitting didn't make sense because of the oil pressure at RPM, well the temp thing doesn't make sense because your saying the smoke is at idle when the engine is generating less energy so the oil will have less heat in it and the longer you idle the cooler the oil will get very quickly also goes against the heat theory.

I simply suggested you try the fitting since it is a known issue. If a person has tried it and it didn't work they didn't post that here, in fact if the person that I think is sending you PM's is the person claiming they tried it they are also the same person that tried to post information on the piece of shit system that we don't allow information about because the manufacture will not allow the truth about over boosted units and failed motors and exploded turbos to be posted without threats. They also came here and purposely tried to post information to deceive members with false claims and downright lies about information collected from bikes that were not v-rods and then refused to answer questions about the information when asked directly.

So in short I may know a little more about things then you want to give me credit for and may have put more thought into this then the person sending you PM's. Odds are I have a lot more experience with turbo engines then the person sending you PM's also.

Now I'm done and you can do whatever you like.

1 - 20 of 197 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.