Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when the gas level gets down to 1/4 tank, it rapidly goes to empty. If I turn the bike off and back on, it'll reset and show the correct level. I've seen it mentioned on here that there are some glitches with the gas gauge but searched and couldn't find much info.

FWIW, I bought the bike in near perfect condition with 1700 miles.

Thanks for the help, I'm new to the Forum.

Chris
'07 Night Rod Special

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
You haven't seen the start of the weirdness yet. Do a search and then use your odometer to determine when to fill up. I'm not sure if you have had the sender replaced, but there are new senders that seem to be better and were covered as a warranty repair if you are still covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
So when the gas level gets down to 1/4 tank, it rapidly goes to empty. If I turn the bike off and back on, it'll reset and show the correct level. I've seen it mentioned on here that there are some glitches with the gas gauge but searched and couldn't find much info.

FWIW, I bought the bike in near perfect condition with 1700 miles.

Thanks for the help, I'm new to the Forum.

Chris
'07 Night Rod Special
Looks like you learned TWO things today! That the fuel gauge on the bike doesn't work and the search engine on this site sucks!

There actually is tons of discussion about the fuel gauge not working and it's some kind of interstellar voodoo conspiracy on whether or not your gauge works today tomorrow or alternating Tuesdays. Same with the search engine for this forum.

Set the trip odometer; the O7 has the the bigger tank from the factory and most recommend 125-150 between fill ups, (your mileage may vary).

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
type the following into the "google" search at top left of the page
site: 1130cc.com: fuel gauge

·
Partlino
72 Posts
Mine used to get about 1/2 full, drop down to empty, then recover about 5 miles later. It stopped doing that and was working fine for the last 2 years. Now, it started doing it again!

I am well-versed in the use of the trip-odometer.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Believe it's a different design, but I took the sending unit out of my 04 and cleaned it about six months ago with some carb cleaner and a light scotch bright pad. It's been working stellar since. On mine it would drop to E when it got to half tank. On disassembly I could see an obvious darker varnish buildup on the lower half of the sender bar. I'm betting that my bike sat somewhere with a 1/2 tank of gas for quite awile thus the varnish build up. It was four years old and only had 4000 miles on it when I got it. Luckily I live in AZ and the bike gets used year round so no chance of that buildup again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts