Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Val it looks like oil. That is the same place that mine is leaking at now.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
That is one thing I hate about the dealer doing the 10k, they have proven that they can't seal the covers well even from the factory so when the service is done those that had no problem may have them start leaking. These bikes need a better gasket for the valve covers.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is new since the 12,5 service yestefday - it was still ok after the 10k. So could the dyno have caused this? Too much fun?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
The only way the dynco could have done that is they push the bike to redline and that is when pressure is the greatest in the crankcase. It may be that you don't ride the bike as hard as they did during the dyno. Since I ride mine like I'm mad at it that may be the reason mine leaks so much. The current leak I have will stay dry until I take a hard ride, but If I put around it stays dry. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Compared to my oil leak this is peanuts.
The rear valve cover on my VROD leaks much more, it even drops on the belt cover.
The dealer fixed it (they thought) but it is still leaking
Also the oil pan leaks oil, but I put oil resistance paint on my garage floor, when I bought the Harley (was prepared). It even burns oil (after 1000 miles).

Still thinking of selling it and buy a classic harley. Will also leak oil but then you will accept it.

Sorry to say this but Harley has a long way to go if it comes to standard quality anno 2003.

Jan

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I talked briefly to the tech tonite when I finally picked up the bike again about the oil leak. He said he had called HD and that they "are aware of this as an on-going problem." The guy at HD told him about one customer who had his bike in 4 times, about 2 weeks apart, with the same problem before they fixed it. A service rep from HQ finally went down to the dealership and they put some kind of permanent sealant on it, but they still recommend using the same gasket. Seems like I've read something like this story here or on the VTF. Anyway, the HD guy told him what to do that will supposedly keep it from happening again, so we'll see. Isn't leaking now, but it was too dark when we rode to wind it out tonight.

Max, have you had yours back in again?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
No Val I have not had mine back in yet.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
When I had my rear cover replaced,I thought that it was leaking.I took it back and they said it was the oil vent tube that goes into the air-cleaner base.Hasn't leaked yet,only 20 miles since.But , it used to leak if I went up the street.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I went and looked at mine real hard.I have a leak on the right side of the rear cover.Same place where your is Val,(the front leak you pointed out in your pic.Guess i'm gonna have to take it in AGAIN.

Is it a gasket or a seal?I noticed silicone on mine.So,I guess it a gasket. I'm gonna have to give the mechanic a training session on how you use gasket sealer.You gotta lay a bead down.Let it sit for 15min,or until tacky.Then you place gasket and mating pcs together,finger tighten.Let that sit for 24hrs then torque down to specs.I have never had a leak this way.Been doing it for yrs.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I have 5 or 600 miles on it now and it's still not leaking. Whatever he did, it seems to have worked.

vrodvinny, if they haven't fixed yours yet, maybe you should have them call HD or else the tech at my dealership??? Let me know if you want the number.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts