Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I know... stupid question... I dont have my book handy... parts department didnt know... service department didnt know...

I bent the peg back on my bike and it tore the weld that connected it to the frame.

If it's steel, it should be an easy weld...

If it's aluminum I'm gonna have to pay for some helium and tungsten to get it welded properly... and might end up just being better to replace that portion of the frame...

I noticed a magnet sticks to the frame so I want to say steel... but.... not positive.

Help!
JFYI
That is wrong.Tungsten is used to heliark top grade steel.Like 4130 crome moly and stainless steel.
A 6061 grade of aluminum and argon is used to weld aluminum.

The average rate at a small welding shop should be around $65 to weld the rail,with out straightening it or re powder coating.

Elrod on the V-Rod:moped:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
WTF...

I called another Harley dealer... talked to parts... spoke to the guy for 15 minutes explaining everything... and he found frame, rail, right... 240 bucks... big difference between 130 and 240...

There's no other part of the frame on my bike that has the peg attached to it, so there should be no confusion....

Anyone have a part number?

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
WTF...

I called another Harley dealer... talked to parts... spoke to the guy for 15 minutes explaining everything... and he found frame, rail, right... 240 bucks... big difference between 130 and 240...

There's no other part of the frame on my bike that has the peg attached to it, so there should be no confusion....

Anyone have a part number?
I see where you mentioned that it was the right side that you need and that you have an '07 VRSCDX. I don't have the latest parts book so I'm not sure what will work on your year and model but using the Chicago HD "parts search" I see that the only ones currently available are:
47988-05BK, right side frame lower (black) with MSRP of $252.00 ($201.60 @ 20% off)
47988-08BK, right side frame lower, wldmnt (black) with MSRP of $252.00 ($201.60 @ 20% off)

I'm not sure why the "07" version isn't shown or what "wldmnt" means in the 08 part but it's likely that the part you need is 47988-08BK.

edit: I had cut and pasted wrong (I changed 47987 to the correct 47988) and the prices are what Chicago HD posted on 8/21/08.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Out of the 2007 parts manual from my library.

47988-05BK Frame Lower, right (black) HH (which is VRSCDX)

This part is $156 at Zanotti's.

Left side would be 47987-07BK

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
I checked with Zanottis. Their parts web page listed 47988-05BGO Frame lower Right (leafy Aluminum) for $156.00.

Is it possibler the dealer quoted you a price for a painted part and not the unpainted version?

·
Premium Member
5,718 Posts
I checked with Zanottis. Their parts web page listed 47988-05BGO Frame lower Right (leafy Aluminum) for $156.00.

Is it possibler the dealer quoted you a price for a painted part and not the unpainted version?
It only comes powder coated in flat aluminum, gloss aluminum (leafy), or gloss black.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Eh, went ahead and did it...

Frame, lower, right, blk
Part# 47988-05BK

$260 out the door

Expensive mistake.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts