Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know... stupid question... I dont have my book handy... parts department didnt know... service department didnt know...

I bent the peg back on my bike and it tore the weld that connected it to the frame.

If it's steel, it should be an easy weld...

If it's aluminum I'm gonna have to pay for some helium and tungsten to get it welded properly... and might end up just being better to replace that portion of the frame...

I noticed a magnet sticks to the frame so I want to say steel... but.... not positive.

Help!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It's steel but don't fix that frame rail, just replace it. They are made to fold back very easy and the new rails are only about 130. THey also only take a few minutes to replace.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Harley said it was more like 280 to replace that portion of the frame...

The peg just got in a bind... I was only goin 1 mph and the front tire slipped on a painted surface that was holding oil/water... peg didnt bend, so the weld tore...

Not really wanting to pay 280 when I can just have that small little part rewelded...

If it was 130... I'd certainly just replace the peice...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is only 130 or so, don't have them do the labor. It takes less then ten minutes to change either side. The piece is made to fold in so that it doesn't damage the main part of the frame, like putting a heavy steel bumper on a light frame if the pegs were too strong it would damage the main frame instead of folding the pegs over.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Makes sense to me...

They didnt quote labor tho... parts department said 280 tho... suppost I should double check, but from what they said on the phone.. it certainly sounded like the peice I needed... and the price... meh :(

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
I got mine from Zanotti's for $117.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Makes sense to me...

They didnt quote labor tho... parts department said 280 tho... suppost I should double check, but from what they said on the phone.. it certainly sounded like the peice I needed... and the price... meh :(

If they told you 280 they are crooks, did they present a gun and slip on a mask?

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
Welding it will look like shit, this is made to be replaced, for $120 bucks, it is a no brainer.

·
jus cruizin
1,879 Posts
I know... stupid question... I dont have my book handy... parts department didnt know... service department didnt know...

I bent the peg back on my bike and it tore the weld that connected it to the frame.

If it's steel, it should be an easy weld...

If it's aluminum I'm gonna have to pay for some helium and tungsten to get it welded properly... and might end up just being better to replace that portion of the frame...

I noticed a magnet sticks to the frame so I want to say steel... but.... not positive.

Help!
:DAluminum<----- that will be the day ................:angeldev:......pretty funny one there.:stilpoke:

·
Kaboom
4,336 Posts
What are our frames made of?

Twisted Steel and Sex Appeal!!!!!:angeldev:

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I agree with replacing it. I haven't done it, but it looks super easy looking at an exploded drawing of it.

P.S. If a magnet sticks to it you can be positive that it's steel.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Eh, will just call Zanotti's to try to get a part number then... she was reading it right out of the book methinks... unless she was trying to charge me for 2 or something... who knows.

·
08 Night Rod Special
59 Posts
... unless she was trying to charge me for 2 or something...
I've had that happen to me before. Trying to buy a part that you only have to replace one side and they want to charge me to buy both sides.

George

·
WHATEVER
3,739 Posts
Eh, will just call Zanotti's to try to get a part number then... she was reading it right out of the book methinks... unless she was trying to charge me for 2 or something... who knows.
Ask Her if you will get a reach around at that price!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I got mine for 190 from the dealer. I put it on in about 45 mins looks like new. If you weld that frame rail you risk bending the frame next time it falls down. It will make the other side of the weld weak not to mention so you may risk breaking it on the other side ( im a welder)

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
$280 sounds like the stealers here

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I have bought 2 frame rails in the past year.The only ones I found for $140 were the old part # for the 02 and 03 bikes.I don't know the # but the new one has an A suffix,it's $280 retail!
These will fit your bike but will only color match if you have the original gray frame color.I had my local dealer run the old # on locater and found the closest stocking dealer.At the time,there were only 14 in the U.S.
Next time you check,ask the parts guy to leave off the A.

Elrod on the V-Rod

1 - 20 of 30 Posts