Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from sitting in the garage staring at it... my bike budget will be kind of tight this winter so I'll be mainly focusing on low-cost stuff.

I just picked up one of these things for my Craftsman rotary tool: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00953033000P?prdNo=5&blockNo=5&blockType=G5

Plan on using it with some small buffing pads and a mothers aluminum polish to shine the hell out of the hard-to-reach spots, specifically surrounding many of the hex bolts around the engine. The easier spots will also be thoroughly taken care of with a small power ball.

I also plan on using the rotary extension to carefully craft a semi-topless airbox setup.

I may try to do a bit of "custom" exhaust work as well with the stock pipes, not sure if I'll drill them out yet or not (will decide once I get a better look at them.)

That's it for now, unless you guys give me more ideas!

WP

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
install my KG
install strobe rear light (custom dynamics)
remove top belt cover (ugly) keep it open
clean and buff
have already removed all reflectors, and fill the rear hole with DX peg bolt
i have 6 left over they came in a bag of 10, i have powdercoat black gloss 4 of them, but not installed yet
i have put the silver in the holes for now, i might try the one's i have powdercoated but i have to cut about 1/4 of it, cause to long because there is no peg there.
i have seen many F owner removing the rear reflector but keep the holes open ? why

just small stuff

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
How you gunna get those black hex bolts in without tearing the paint off the inside?

Ive already done All my mods
-55W 5K Low beam HID
-Hi/Low mod
-High Heat silicone on V&H slipons

Mods already done when i bought the bike
-V&H slipons
-SE filter
-SESPT program

I will obviously clean and wax was the bike, do an oil change w/filter.

Should we disconnect the battery to keep if from going dead? Do you guys use fuel stabilizer? Do you fill the tank or just add stabilizer to whatever is left in the tank? Should I prop the bike up with wood under the engine to take some weight off the tires?

What else do you guys do to winterize the bike?

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
How you gunna get those black hex bolts in without tearing the paint off the inside?

Ive already done All my mods
-55W 5K Low beam HID
-Hi/Low mod
-High Heat silicone on V&H slipons

Mods already done when i bought the bike
-V&H slipons
-SE filter
-SESPT program

I will obviously clean and wax was the bike, do an oil change w/filter.

Should we disconnect the battery to keep if from going dead? Do you guys use fuel stabilizer? Do you fill the tank or just add stabilizer to whatever is left in the tank? Should I prop the bike up with wood under the engine to take some weight off the tires?

What else do you guys do to winterize the bike?
the bolt are powdercoated it's very strong for sure you don't go to hard on them just put on some lock tight
for the battery if inside a garage, i have never took it off or put it on any charger for over 5 years with no problem
stabil never unless the bike is left alone for over a year

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Buy a Deltran Battery Tender and keep your bike pluged in. The bike will be ready when you are.

Today its 78 degrees at 5:29 pm. Clear blue skies. We can ride till late in the year here in California. The last time it snowed here was in 1974.

Bicep

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
the bolt are powdercoated it's very strong for sure you don't go to hard on them just put on some lock tight
for the battery if inside a garage, i have never took it off or put it on any charger for over 5 years with no problem
stabil never unless the bike is left alone for over a year
A 5/16" hex key is 0.0025" smaller than an 8mm hex key (just in case the powder coat is too thick).

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
not much powder went into the bolt! it's always hard to fill cavities so
it should be pretty strong, anyway i will cut 1/4 on each an install them and take a pic.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Putting on the black 440 Progressives I bought plus getting the foot control hardware power coated and putting new pegs on. That will be all unless Santa brings me some more goodies.

·
Registered
164 Posts
riding it. just with a few layers of clothing. moved to charlotte nc from MD and i never believed in the "SEASONAL BIKE" stuff. ride all year just wear more clothes.

·
Registered
244 Posts
new handlebars, Maybe burleigh bars from Australia unless harley comes out with new handlebars for he F. Also replace the front fork and rear shocks with progressive to replace the stock rough riding POS.

·
Muscle Man
868 Posts
down here in South Loiuisiana...

I will be enjoying my favorite 2 seasons-fall and spring-with winter sandwiched in between. as long as it isn't rainy and cold, I'll be riding:moped:

·
Registered
460 Posts
No Logo Tabs
Stage II Cams
Rear Seat Support
Thinking about flipping my mirrors
Dyno Tune
Night Rod Rear Passenger Pegs

·
On the Space Coast
60 Posts
riding it. just with a few layers of clothing. moved to charlotte nc from MD and i never believed in the "SEASONAL BIKE" stuff. ride all year just wear more clothes.
:them:

Bone chilling cold here today.
Got down to 45F last night!
Back to high 70's, low 80's in a couple of days though.

·
F'd up
273 Posts
Installing the 26t. pulley and hopefully having my wheels powdercoated black. I might also look into having my not-so-black arnott air rides pc'ed also to get rid of the eggplant color. oh, yes, also buying the service manual to do the service check myself!

·
Registered
257 Posts
TABS, Clean, Polish, Puting it on Bat tender, on jack, under cover till spring. Snowed this weekend and ski resorts opened up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
:them:

Bone chilling cold here today.
Got down to 45F last night!
Back to high 70's, low 80's in a couple of days though.
I live in Ohio, its been fourties for a while it seems like, this week its going to be in the high 50's low 60's. Cant wait!!

PS. i rode the other day when it was around 45F, nothing a windshield and some gloves/coat cant fix! =) heated handgrips help a lot too!! :kaz:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts