Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a post on here the other day about my dealer telling me that he wouldnt warranty my 08 if I wanted a 260 metz put on when it comes in. I called him back and he said that they would most likely have me sign somthing stating I would not hold them responsible for any accidents or failure due to have that tire on there. I called another who already has the same bike that I want but is 2 hours from where I live and he said that they wouldnt even consider puting the 260 on because of the risk they are taking. Does anyone else have these kinda people at there dealerhip.

·
Not from 'round here
1,632 Posts
Mikes in Smyrna Delaware has always done great service for me. The installed my aftermarket (non-harley) rims wirh a 260 on the back. They quacked a little about the reduced clearance at the belt/tire area, but did it anyway....take it to a bike mechanic that WANTS to help the customer!

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's about the most retarded thing I've ever heard of... As a dentist, when people refused to do a crown after the root canal, or whatever, sometimes I'd have the patient sign their record that they refused treatment,etc...

Then I learned in practice management courses that the only thing having the patient sign does is piss them off and put a barrier up between you and the patient.. in essence, the attorneys giving the risk management lecture told us that patients CANNOT sign their rights away... I expect its the same thing with the tire.

Yeah, you can sign a statement all day long, bottom line, you go out and somehow get killed, you're wife sues the dealership for putting an oversized tire on, your wife will win.

·
Wore Out Woodworker
1,620 Posts
Thats BS take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yet another reason I buy NOTHING have NO work performed and generally STAY AWAY from the dealer. Find a good independent shop to build a relationship with and you will be much happier in the end.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I just ordered my Metz 260 and the local dealer here had no issue with putting the 260 on my DX. Can't wait :)

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
This dealer no doubt had a bad experience or 2 along the way. Knowing how "Sue Happy" this country is can you really blame them? There are dealers here not doing loud pipes and not selling Serts over the counter due to customer negligence.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Makes sense to me. If you kill yourself, it wouldn't be hard to make a case that the 260 was a contributory factor (the 240 is the main limiting factor on this bike, I've had some really nasty unexpected brownies out of corners as the suspension gives up on the ludicrous unsprung weight and throws the traction away). If the 260 is a contributory factor, then the dealer can be sued to pieces, his insurance goes through the roof, and he potentially goes out of business.

If I were a dealer would I fit 260s in the American legal environment? No way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I work at a dealership. We are also apprehensive when it comes to aftermarket tires, but we will still install them if they are the stock size and if the customer signs a statement relieving us of any responsibility.

Like Louis said, it's the size of the tire more than anything. We will not install a tire that is different from the stock size without one of Harley's wide tire kits. We have been faced with lawsuits in the past because of issues like this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Every thing that I have read says that puting a 260 rear tire on a 08 v-Rod will not rub and will fit the stock rim. I understand that if I try and take a turn at 1000mph I run the risk of crashing but we are only talking about normal everyday riding with maybe a passenger on. When I ask the dealer if I road the rubber off my 240 and came in to get a new tire would he put a 260 on for me and he said yes, no questions ask. My question is what is the difference between puting it on before I buy it or 5000 mile down the road. They are still the ones who put it on.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I pick my 2008 up tomorrow!..I will fit a 260 myself.....the dealers probably would do it!...but its all about knowing your bike I guess ..so best do these things yourself anyway!!!!!!:broke: .....no matter what gos wrong...the "warranty" will be invalid anyway:paper: :rofl2:

OOPS....I must be in a miserable mood tonight!

·
Registered
105 Posts
:ride: get your monies worth out of the stock tire you are already paying for and then go for the 260, that's what I'm going to do. It won't take as long as you think And then your Dealer won't give you any attitude.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm thinking about picking it up and just smoking the tire clear off of it in the parking lot before I even pull out. Then tell them to go ahead and order my new 260. That would be worth it just to see there faces.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
I had Metzlers put on today. The dealer(non-harley) would only put on
the OEM size tire. He stated that although the 200 would fit, I would actually have less rubber on the road, due to the larger tire on the 6" rim, with the side walls being pulled inwards.Make sense??:confused:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just dropped my 260 off at the dealership a few hours ago and they said nothing but "kick ass tire". It all depends on the dealership. I am a sales manager at a car dealership and I have worked at both dealerships that will not do anything aftermarket, and the kind that realizes that the customers will do aftermarket things and may as well embrace it to keep a good relationship.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
The dealer that I have been using for service put the Metzlers(200 rear) on my bike, no problems or warnings other than saying they might need to cut downa corner of a bracket to eliminate a potential interference. Of course the forgot to check for a rub with the lower belt guard, I found that when I got it home and found pieces of rubber on the rear rim.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The dealer I use would put the 260 on the front if I asked them to!

I have the 260 metz on the rear of my 07 and it was installed along w a new front at the dealer.I paid the difference from the factory tires that were warranted for irregular wear w low miles.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I personaly dont get the 260 thing anyway. It was the same back in the day with the 130-140 or squeezeing a 150 in a 4 speed swingarm. I see all these oversize tires and rims on cars today and I think its about stupid. Stock ricers with enough rubber for a Pro Stock to launch. I wont get into how many wheel bearings and other component failures I have seen. Upgradeing from factory rubber to aftermarket I understand. Going bigger I dont get it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts