Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This post is not meant to bash Harley or the V-Rod, I love mine but there are a few things I wish they would have done differently.

Jiffy stand seems flimsy.
Wish you didn't have to twist throttle so much.
Shouldn't be able to start engine with jiffy stand down.
I don't really care for the under seat gas tank.
Seat no longer locks on the 07's.
Need a helmet lock.
Tail, brake, turn lighting should come stock with LED.

What can you add to the list that's realistic?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I agree with some of that. LED's are the way to go for the future but the bulbs Harley uses in their turn signals are pretty common and can be found anywhere and at very low cost. Not being familiar with Jiffy stand safety devices, how do you let the bike warm up? Once started, can you return the stand to the down position to let it idle? If so, then whats the point of the safety switch? I didn't realize that there was a problem with the Jiffy stand bushing until Max started selling them in the store. Mine is still ok for now. I like the gas tank under the seat, especially now that it holds 5 gallons. :)

·
Dragger o' Pegs
3,461 Posts
The instrument cluster. Not thrilled with the look from the front.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lets see here...

I have to agree with the locking seat for sure.
100lbs less would be nice too.
More power for sure.
Better and more adjustable suspension.
More selection with belts and pullies.
:2cents: :duel:

·
Lifetime Member
5,212 Posts
On the D I would machine some of the material off the bottom of the risers and bring the bars down closer to the top of the fork tubes. I think decreasing the size of the riser would improve the look from the front especially when doing what I did and switching to a B headlight setup.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i would like it to be lighter but my biggest thing... I WANT A 6 SPEED!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
No matter what they do where still going to change it. Other wise our bikes would all be the same.

·
Registered
90 Posts
jiffy stand safety device

MurphysLaw said:
I agree with some of that. LED's are the way to go for the future but the bulbs Harley uses in their turn signals are pretty common and can be found anywhere and at very low cost. Not being familiar with Jiffy stand safety devices, how do you let the bike warm up? Once started, can you return the stand to the down position to let it idle? If so, then whats the point of the safety switch? I didn't realize that there was a problem with the Jiffy stand bushing until Max started selling them in the store. Mine is still ok for now. I like the gas tank under the seat, especially now that it holds 5 gallons. :)
the bike will idle with stand down, however once put in gear and the clutch is disengaged, the bike will stall.

·
Comfortably numb!
1,968 Posts
I love my bike, but here are a few thingsw that would make it better:

-Better headlights, stock one is totally weak
-Narrower fender on the DX, way too wide
-Add an option for a sporty looking windshield

Of course better pipes, tires and suspension would be great. I am just guessing these will always remain as after market upgrades.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
BNREAM said:
AMEN!! I CONSTANTLY GO FOR 6TH, AND LOW AND BEHOLD..I AINT GOT NONE!
it drives me fricken crazy!!!
if I could buy 1 mod for my bike it would be a 6 speed...

does anyone make one?:deal:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Larger Gas Capacity

MORE GAS STORAGE!! more accesories, and last but not least kept more of the" harley" look to the engine. and when they discover malfunctions in production of parts and the like..RECALLS..not have the expense fall back on us consumers!!:chair:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll back up a bit, on other bikes you can't start the engine, the engine won't even turn over if the stand is down UNLESS you hold in the clutch. Then once it starts and you release the clutch, the bike will stay running. This is so you don't accidently hit the starter with the bike in gear and it lurches forward. Also on other bikes, it won't start if in gear unless you pull in the clutch. More of a safety check than anything.

And I forgot to mention 6 spd trans.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Frankjake said:
I'll back up a bit, on other bikes you can't start the engine, the engine won't even turn over if the stand is down UNLESS you hold in the clutch. Then once it starts and you release the clutch, the bike will stay running. This is so you don't accidently hit the starter with the bike in gear and it lurches forward. Also on other bikes, it won't start if in gear unless you pull in the clutch. More of a safety check than anything.

one thing I have never liked about HD bikes.

hell my buddies ducati wont even crank with the stand down...period

·
Guitar, not Gator
8,049 Posts
I wish they hadn't flipped the freaking horn and dimmer switch!!! Now I honk my horn when I want to dim my lights on both bikes!

6 speed would be nice.

Small spot for glasses, paperwork...

More seat options for the R

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Frankjake said:

That must be on the NEW fangled V-Rods. My old one has no safety features like that, except the one if you throw it on the ground it shuts off.

Six speed?? Maybe... Or shorter 1st to 4th and a taller 5th. Make it bigger too I look like a 500lbs gorilla on my VR.

·
I hate motorcycles
198 Posts
1. 1550, stock.
2. Kept and expanded upon the Street Rod platform.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts