Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the question.

Mine was the ride from J'ville to Atlanta on April 14th, 2008 for the TEA Party rally. I stayed overnight at the Westin downtown, met some great people, enjoyed beautiful weather, and got some great tales about the ride.

I feel especially good about the ride, having survived watching a set of tractor-trailer wheels fall off of the rear axle of the trailer only 10 feet in front of me at 75 mph. I'll probably talk about that for the rest of my life!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
8.74 147mph rockingham dragway, stroked shovelhead pro mod ahdra

·
Registered
911 Posts
I didn't have to think very long:
It's 1977, on my trusty Norton Atlas, I'm single, virile with a full head of hair and I'm on Highway 1 with my compadres riding from San Luis Obispo to Big Sur. Been trying to duplicate that ride in one way or another ever since.
Thanks for reminding me, Dr Dave!

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
We went to the KC rally this year, that was pretty cool. While we were there a new friend recommended several rides around the Black Hills. Spearfish canyon, Iron Mountain Rd and of course Mount Rushmore. WOW is all I can say, add it to your bucket list for sure.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Tropical Trail on Merritt Island, 1979 with my buds, riding a '78 XS750 Yamaha. It narrows down from north to south and trees form a total canopy over the road - and it's twisty. As you ride south, it just seems to close up on you.

Magic.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think it was in 78-79, whatever year was the last time the county let you race on the beach at Daytona.

County radar had me at about 80 at the finish line on my old shovelhead. The thrill of the feeling once it dug up out of the sand and got rolling down the beach was like nothing I've experienced since!!!!

Being at Daytona and hauling butt down the beach just like they did in the old days, a great memory.:dance::D:dance:

·
Genesis1130cc
1,824 Posts
The first weekend I owned my VROD, we went on a two day 600 mile road-trip all over South Carolina with 5 of my buddies. It was a great way to get used to my new ride!

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
My first ride after having my Trask turbo installed.

I had already built it to a 1250 from an 1130 and couldn't really feel any difference at all. It was March and -10 but I couldn't wait any longer. I found a bare stretch of highway and wrung it's neck. I remember being cold, but with a big smile on my face, thinking, " now this is more like it " when it pulled like none of my V-Rods had ever before.

PRICELESS!

BTW, it still makes me smile the same way every time I ride it!

·
GIT UR DONE...later
990 Posts
It was only a half mile ride. I was going to buy a newer Fatboy. I saw this bike with Fatboy wheels & test drove it around the block. I bought a Vrod that day & literally changed my life...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
theres a access road through the kaimanawa forest here that is the nearest thing to a privately owned autobahn that we have which was made for logging trucks.i went on an organised ride with 60 others a few years back on that road which was closed off for our use that day for an hour.there was no speed restriction and i was riding a busa.it was the fastest sustained ride ive ever done,like full throttle all the way.

·
Banned
744 Posts
gold coast-adelaide via blue mountains, great ocean road.
adelaide-darwin via ayres rock.
darwin-broome
broome-perth via west coast.
perth - adelaide via margaret river, albany, nullabhor plains.
adelaide - gold coast.
5 weeks ,over 18,000klm's, hundreds of beers.
we stopped and 'checked out' as much as we could!

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
In 2004, a trip from Anchorage, Ak; Tok, AK; Dawson City, Yukon, Canada; White Horse, Yukon, Canada; Haines/Skagway, AK, and back to Anchorage. It was a 2 week trip. Loved it!

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
It's a toss up between the day I test rode my first Vrod and the Day I bought it. Knowing it was mine and riding it home was a great feeling.

On the flip side the worst ride was 6 hrs. to LA at night in 30 degree weather with no cold weather gear. I still get the chills when I think about it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Did Palm Bay to Key West the summer before last. It was amazing. We had such a good time and the ride down was a blast. I was the lone V-Rod in the pack which made it extra special every time I gassed it and dusted all of the other bikes.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
April '07. Decided that after kicking cancer's ass that me and the family were heading to VA Beach to visit a great friend and his family. The wife took the wife mobile and headed straight to his house, I met up with him and his dad as his dad's place on the PA/MD border for a couple of days first. The three of us logged a good 1500 miles in those two days, then me and my buddy hit the road to VA Beach stopping at a couple vineyards along the way.
Him and I both have a love for motorcycles, but this was the first time we actually had the chance to ride together, thanks to his military officer's career and my professional travel schedule. Two of the best weeks of my life, and the first time I felt alive since before cancer.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
April '07. Decided that after kicking cancer's ass that me and the family were heading to VA Beach to visit a great friend and his family. The wife took the wife mobile and headed straight to his house, I met up with him and his dad as his dad's place on the PA/MD border for a couple of days first. The three of us logged a good 1500 miles in those two days, then me and my buddy hit the road to VA Beach stopping at a couple vineyards along the way.
Him and I both have a love for motorcycles, but this was the first time we actually had the chance to ride together, thanks to his military officer's career and my professional travel schedule. Two of the best weeks of my life, and the first time I felt alive since before cancer.

i'm glad you kicked cancers ass! and still with us to share that story!

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Well, his name was...

Oh wait, not that kind of ride! :D

I'd say it would be a toss up between 1) maybe the 2nd or 3rd time we did a Dragon rally and I was comfortable to really wick it up a bit (thanks to Phil, Dale and Steve)...it was the first time I drug parts on my bike or...

2) the 2nd or 3rd time I ripped up Monte Cristo Rd out here in UT on my Buell with a good friend of mine who "knew the correct line" of the road. I had ridden with him enough to trust him and I was confident enough in my skills and bike to lay it all out and tear it up. In retrospect, it was stupid and speed like that only belongs on the track (which is where I hang out mostly now) but, holy crap, that was a lot of fun! :)

:jeannie:

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
Best ride ever

The first time back from VN riding on my 1972 BSA Rocket 3 the only bike that I rode that was as fast as my vrod or maybe it was that I was 22 and never expected to ride it again. just thinking curley

1 - 20 of 27 Posts