Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about changing the radiator fluid, it has 6500miles on it. I just don't know what kind of coolant to use. Does anyone have any input on this other than the HD coolant? Or just go with HD? THanks.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There are several very important requirements that must be adhered to with coolant for this engine. A few aftermarket brands meet these criteria but you need to be sure to use the correct formulation. HD coolant will be a safe choice.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
Any in blue or clear that would set off a blue Killer Glass?

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I think VW's got a blue coolant that works. I know folks have talked about it before. I hate to say it, but try doing a search for blue coolant.

·
Proud R Pilot
372 Posts
NightMare said:
I think VW's got a blue coolant that works. I know folks have talked about it before. I hate to say it, but try doing a search for blue coolant.
You were right of course :notworth: , I found it. Thank you.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Just here to help! :)

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Why would you change the coolant w/ 6500 miles on it? In the owner's manual it states every 2 years.

·
Registered
616 Posts
My manual says 30,000 miles and does not say anything about number of years. I will just use the HD stuff. It is reported as being the GM Dexcool, which is NOT compatable with other coolants. So by buying the premixed HD coolant you are certain to be using the right thing. JMO.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Only my "opinion" but, I got to talk with a guy that is a supplier of anti-freeze and seemed to be a an antifreeze geek, he knew of the stuff we use in the bikes and recommended something different. Guy was way too technical for me but, after seeing the thread of Smoothrods and seeing what the water pumps and gaskets look like- I took the chance and changed mine.

·
Registered
298 Posts
JSC said:
Only my "opinion" but, I got to talk with a guy that is a supplier of anti-freeze and seemed to be a an antifreeze geek, he knew of the stuff we use in the bikes and recommended something different. Guy was way too technical for me but, after seeing the thread of Smoothrods and seeing what the water pumps and gaskets look like- I took the chance and changed mine.

Can you elaborate a little? Like you changed it for a different coolant, if so what did you use, or did you only drain and replace the coolant with HD brand? Also, how many miles/months etcetera were on the bike when you made the change?
Thanks
VR/Matt

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
Mine is an 04 and had maybe 16,000 on it. Replaced it but, I'll have to find which it was that I used (sorry can't remember). I never used to worry about it that much but, now think I'll be a little more progressive about changing it.

It was this spring or early summer when I made the change and had the bike since Oct. 04. Here in Michigan my bike sits in a climate controlled garage for the winter months so I wasn't as concerned about checking it as if it had been more exposed to the cold.

Might add also the guy I spoke with said that just because the bottle doesn't say anything about silicate doesn't mean its not in there.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Anything wrong with Prestone? Been using it for decades in cagers.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
It seems silicate free is a biggie but, I really don't know all the other technical stuff of how what effects what.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I guess just use the HD coolant, unless anyone has used a different one that might be better? How much do you fill? Do you fill 50/50 coolant/H2O or just fill up to the line with coolant? My bike is '03 and the coolant looks a little low and possibly dirty, even though it only has 6500mi I will feel better if I changed it, that's all. Please assist if anyone knows any better or any suggestions.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Do NOT mix it with water. The HD coolant comes premixed with deionized water. Deionized water has more minerals removed than distilled water. With an aluminum engine you do not want minerals in your cooling system and certainly dont want the chlorine present in tap water.

·
Registered
591 Posts
hd-v-rodder said:
Anything wrong with Prestone? Been using it for decades in cagers.
Only the newer technology Prestone 5/150 Extended Life Pre-Mix. It's silicate, phosphate, and borate-free and touted as being good for aluminum engines. It's also safe to mix with ANY coolant, according to Prestone. The regular Prestone Heavy-Duty Concentrate coolant thats been around for "decades" does contain silicates and should not be used.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use Engine Ice on my bike and it works wonder reducing the temp, especially during the stop and go traffic. The fan goes on much less than before.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Hotwheel said:
I use Engine Ice on my bike and it works wonder reducing the temp, especially during the stop and go traffic. The fan goes on much less than before.
Engine Ice is not an extended life coolant so change it out yearly.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use Peak Global Lifetime in my '03. Still change yearly just to keep the system clean as new.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts