Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have been reading and researching alot in the past month from ya'll :notworthy There is a lot of great knowledge through this forum :stupid: and I just wonder what everyones thoughts are on the PCIIIr or the SE Race Tuner :confused:

I went to my HD dealer today and they were pushing the RT due to the fact you can tune each cylinder. I am a speed freak of sorts but I will never race. I just want a fast street VROD. :diablo:

If anyone could help with insite on this I would appreciate it. I also want something easy to work with so :hitfan: (nuff said).

Thanks ya'll

·
Registered
10,065 Posts
Kaz has talked me into the race tuner. the powercommander just fools the computer. The racetuner is the way to go.

·
Todd
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My other question is, how hard is it to tune? Is it as easy as the PCIII? Is it recommended for the weekend mechanic? I hate having to go to the dealer for everything:mad:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
It's really as easy to use as the PCIII. There's a "basic" mode that is essentially what the PCIII does, AFR and Timing. The flaw that's used to justify the PCIII is the availability of maps for different combinations that you can simply load at home without a dyno. That's true but none of those maps are tuned to your bike and believe me, each bike is different. The RT comes with base SE maps that are really very well done. If you haven't strayed far from the baseline, parts wise, then these are every bit as good as the PCIII maps and you won't ever need to see a dealer.

Regardless of the method you choose you will really need to spend some time on a Dyno with a tuner that knows what they are doing. If the only tuners in your area are unfamiliar with the RT and refuse to learn it then you either have to learn how to use it yourself or go with the PCIII.

Bottom line, they are equally as easy or difficult depending on your knowledge and the people you have around you for support.

(another advantage of the RT, you can reset the speedometer for the 28T pulley)

·
Ride on!
267 Posts
I'm just getting started on the tuning process. You all have a great deal of knowledge.

My question is how did HD adjust my bike after they installed the SE Slip fit and air filter, they also installed a new efi calibration? http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524442311615&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302478253&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302478253&bmUID=1073162942296&bmLocale=en_US

I'm looking at going topless and I am trying to find the most cost affective way to adjust the AFR so that I will not be running to lean.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
You can't run topless with that calibration, it will be too lean. Your options are

A.) Update to the latest HD Flash P/N 33241-04 (http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=845524448764530&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302478253&ASSORTMENT<>ast_id=2534374302478253&bmUID=1073165144042&bmLocale=en_US) AND upgrade to the 28T as this flash will reset your speedometer

B.) Buy the Race Tuner for $365 (Hales HD and others @ 20% off) and download the same file without resetting the speedometer

C.) Install a Techlusion device to add fuel (hand programmable)

D.) Install a Power Commander to add fuel (PC programmable)

The most cost effective is the Techlusion.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
If you want every last drop of HP that is there,then go with the racetuner.There will be lots of dyno pulls though.
I have the pcIIIr now.I am going to the tuner next week to talk about the RT.I wanna find out how good he is with it.I know that he is good with the pcIIIr.
I NEED every last drop of HP.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Power Commander 4 Me!

I don't need every last drop of HP (but it would be nice) however, I just fitted my Power Commander last night. Rode 160kms today to work etc, and the bike feels GREAT.
I have the PC111r, V&H Power Shots, and SE (K&N) filter. Nothing special, just a pleasantly strong ride that pulls like a 14 year old boy!
Best part is it's easier for me to dyno the PC111r due to experience base here in Nth Queensland. No one has any time on the RT.
I'll certainly dyno the PC111r for a personilsed map, but the 809-027 (?) map works fine.
I got my PC111r from www.twowheeldrift.com for around $270 US plus postage. Bit of a hickup with the wrong unit being sent to me in Australia over the Christmas period (so took a month to get right) but GREAT people to deal with, very friendly and I would deal with again. Tell em Ken sent you!

Best wishes.

Ken.
:cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone looked at the Terry Components Terminal Velocity Fuel Management System? Suppost to self tune and change automatically when equipment changes are made.
Anyone know anything??

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
Thats a New one on me ! :wazzup: Do you work with them?I see this is your first Post "vrodhill" :vrodforu:
The Techlusion is the Cheapest and Easiest to Use.The RT is the Most exspensive and Hardest to use.What are your Goals?How much Time and Money can you invest?All of them have Good and Bad Points! :kaz:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Super Kaz said:
Thats a New one on me ! :wazzup: Do you work with them?I see this is your first Post "vrodhill" :vrodforu:
The Techlusion is the Cheapest and Easiest to Use.The RT is the Most exspensive and Hardest to use.What are your Goals?How much Time and Money can you invest?All of them have Good and Bad Points! :kaz:
Kaz, No, I do not work for them. Just happen to see a magazine ad while I was laying on the beach in Maui avoiding the sub zero weather and snow in Washington.
I have just been a reader in the past but thought I'd pose the question.
I am not a racer (like you) but I like things to run the best possible. I have the Stage I plus I am running topless and have knocked the plugs out of the SE mufflers. I don't know if I will ever make other changes (maybe a different set of pipes) but if it only costs a few bucks more to have a system that will automatically adjust (learn) to all changes sounds better than taking it to a dealer for dyno with every change. You can check it out at http://www.terrycomponents.com .
Thank you for your time.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
That place is about 5 miles from me. I'm going to pay them a visit and see what I can find out. I'll post a follow-up.

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ketsugo said:
That place is about 5 miles from me. I'm going to pay them a visit and see what I can find out. I'll post a follow-up.

John

Sounds great John. Maybe it won't even fit a V-Rod, huh? I'll look forward to seeing what you find. It just sounds like a good option to dyno visits and without that cost you can afford to spend a little more.

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
It SHOULD work on the our V-Rods as we have the delphi ECU. The system uses an O2 sensor which is drilled into your exhaust. The system is only to manage the A/F ratio and does nothing to ignition timing, so if you are running a combo that requires timing other than stock for peak performance, you will still need the RT or PCIIIr. I'll let you know what I find out in person.

http://www.terrycomp.com/pdf/Harley-DavidsonTable.pdf

John

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ketsugo said:
It SHOULD work on the our V-Rods as we have the delphi ECU. The system uses an O2 sensor which is drilled into your exhaust. The system is only to manage the A/F ratio and does nothing to ignition timing, so if you are running a combo that requires timing other than stock for peak performance, you will still need the RT or PCIIIr. I'll let you know what I find out in person.

http://www.terrycomp.com/pdf/Harley-DavidsonTable.pdf

John
John, Just show you how much I know (or how little I know). I didn't even know the V-Rod had a Delphi ECU.
I have the Stage I with the plugs knocked out of the SE mufflers and I am running topless. So, what do you think I need? Would the Terry Components do the job or do I need to go to the PC IIIr? The only other mod I might do is a better set of pipes (I like the Vance Hines ones)

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
vrodhill said:
John, Just show you how much I know (or how little I know). I didn't even know the V-Rod had a Delphi ECU.
I have the Stage I with the plugs knocked out of the SE mufflers and I am running topless. So, what do you think I need? Would the Terry Components do the job or do I need to go to the PC IIIr? The only other mod I might do is a better set of pipes (I like the Vance Hines ones)
My understanding it that with V-Modded SE slip-ons, there is no timing change needed. Mark (mjw930) would be the one who would know for sure as he is running that set-up with the RT and extensive dyno tuning time. The proper PCIIIr map for your set-up with V&H pipes (M809-028) does add a bit of timing from 3500 rpm up at 80% and 100% throttle.

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Ketsugo said:
My understanding it that with V-Modded SE slip-ons, there is no timing change needed. Mark (mjw930) would be the one who would know for sure as he is running that set-up with the RT and extensive dyno tuning time. The proper PCIIIr map for your set-up with V&H pipes (M809-028) does add a bit of timing from 3500 rpm up at 80% and 100% throttle.

John
The HD flash for the slip-ons is actually very good and doesn't need much modification when used with modded SE's. Just make sure you use the newest flash (the one that also resets the speedo for 28T) or you will be running too lean.

The SE flash improves the timing to the point where the PCIII is overkill. If you want to fine tune the fuel delivery because of either the modded pipes or to run topless (assuming you have the older flash) then the Techlusion is perfect.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts