Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the v-rod world and my babe needs to shoes. I would like to go to a bigger size tire. Just not sure what the best size is to put on a standard 04 setup, or type of tire. Any input would greatly be appreciative.

·
VRSC est -03
3,400 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.
Metzler ME880. Cant go wrong, great allround tire.
200 rear doable/stock rim, close to a bolt on.
240/250 doable, requires some work.
Do a search here on site, plenty threads.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I run Avon Cobra's - AV72 rear, AV71 front they are ZR rated for high speed and 74W, 60W weight capacity, durable, have great traction, look real good, balance up well, run true and the 180 rear looks closer to a 200 than a 180 Win Win. The Metz 880's Knut J mentioned will probably get more mileage than the Avon's but maybe not quite as much traction. Like he said do the search function in the forum section in tires/suspension and each bike model - tons of info !

·
VROOOOOMMM!!!
763 Posts
clearence in the rear fender

If you got a bigger tire, (I put a 200 on my 03) make sure you check inside the rear fender well for things sticking out that can carve the sidewall of your new tire (voice of experience here....):banghead:

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
jgd1az I Love the Avons but until you scrub in the rear tire to within 1/4 inch of the edge DO NOT lean the bike way over on virgin rubber and really get in the power. I did that one cool day and did a You Tube Quality Tank Slapper ! Almost High Sided. TWICE. :banghead: True vroom, on my '06 R model there is very little room with the Avon 180 maybe 8-10 MM to the belt guard and less than that to the saddlebag brackets. Like yours a 200 would fit, but I would jack the bike up, remove the upper shock bolts, jack the wheel up till at shock bottomed position and check for rubs. clearance any and put it back down. I put early swing arm mounted passenger pegs on mine and yes, they will hit the larger 5 gal fuel tank. 6 hours of jacking and grinding and they are OK. Everything is a custom job with these bikes when you start fooling around. It's worth it. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
New to the v-rod world and my babe needs to shoes. I would like to go to a bigger size tire. Just not sure what the best size is to put on a standard 04 setup, or type of tire. Any input would greatly be appreciative.
Online look for A71 Avon cobra front A72? A one Cobra rear great grip rain and racing I’ve had. My VRod grinding foot pegs in turn which is a first for me check amazon also rear $250 or so front $190 or so

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.