Votes: 17 22.7%
  • Other

Votes: 7 9.3%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have also fallen victim to Dunflops front tire cupping issue. These things gotta go, the ride above 80 mph is down right scary. Im looking to replace my set with a wider rear also.

Obviously my options are Metz 260 or Avon 250. For me the 260 size is the only selling point on the Metz, just to say I have a "260" for the wow factor and to get a smidge more width from my rear tire is my first thought on buying my tire. I guess form wins over function sometimes. On the other hand, the Avons seem to wear and handle better but only measure 250. What's 10mm anyways, but I guess that my sticking point. Then again, some people are saying the Avon is just as wide as the Metz.

I've been reading every possible Metzler and Cobra post for the past few days. I'm just curious to see what everyone is running. It seems at first everyone was leaning towards the Metz 260 but currently it seems everyone is going to the Avon Cobra 250.

So....what are you riding, why, and whats your personal take on yout tires? I'm not trying to start a never ending tire debate, just curious to see people's mind set with their tire choice. I suppose Im looking for opinions on 240+ tires but any will do.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
ANYTHING would be better than the dunlops. I moved to Metz and the difference in the ride and handling was remarkable! As great as the Metz were, the Pirelli Night Dragons I'm running now are even better!
My next set will be Avons

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't wait to get these things off. I was going going to pull the trigger on the Cobra set with the 250 due to being cheaper, but either I added wrong or there has been an overnight sale on the Metz set w/ the 260. Motorcycle-superstore.com has both sets relatively close in price. If the Cobra came in a 260, I'd be all over it. I hate choices sometimes.

-Cobra: Cheaper, not as wide, better handling, better wear
-Metz: Slightly more expensive, wider, not sure about the handling, questionable wear compared to the Avon as shown recently by another member

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
250 avon is actually a tad bit wider than the 260 metz

·
Road rash hurts!!!!
191 Posts
Got over 10,000 miles out of the Avon rear with abit left so it will be the same again next time......

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
I have no issues with the dunlops. I push them quite hard to.

But will probably try the Avons next just to see the difference if any.

I ride twisty mtn roads on the weekends and normal city streets to work during the week.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I too used to say the Dunlops were fine. I learned to ride with the "drift" of the dunlops on wet roads, and thought I was being aggressive in the twisties too. Then I did a group ride w/about 40 sportbikes and a VRSCB (davewithavrb)..... I expected the sport bikes to kick my ass, but knew there was no way another VROD could or would. Dave kept up with the sport guys, kicked my ass six ways from Sunday, taking turns so tight the sport guys were impressed. At the lunch stopped we talked and I found he was running Metz tires.
I switched out to Metz and had to re-learn how to ride my bike. I can now say that I Really ride aggressively on dry or wet roads.
Taking of the dunlops is like buying a new bike.

·
Buy American!
3,966 Posts
Sell me your Dunlop

I too used to say the Dunlops were fine. I learned to ride with the "drift" of the dunlops on wet roads, and thought I was being aggressive in the twisties too. Then I did a group ride w/about 40 sportbikes and a VRSCB (davewithavrb)..... I expected the sport bikes to kick my ass, but knew there was no way another VROD could or would. Dave kept up with the sport guys, kicked my ass six ways from Sunday, taking turns so tight the sport guys were impressed. At the lunch stopped we talked and I found he was running Metz tires.
I switched out to Metz and had to re-learn how to ride my bike. I can now say that I Really ride aggressively on dry or wet roads.
:confused: I thought you liked the Dunlops? I've never known you to talk bad about them before.

BTW, if anyone has a Dunlop 240 that is nearly new and you want to sell it cheap, PM me. The last digit in the four digit date code embossed on the sidewall must be 8, 9, or 0.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:confused: I thought you liked the Dunlops? I've never known you to talk bad about them before.
nothing negative about dunlops in my entire post

·
MSF Ridercoach
276 Posts
Nice. When I go riding with my sport bike riding friends I still get told to lead the way. They couldnt keep up when I rode and raced a sport bike and can barely keep up now. Mine is the only Harley that will never be passed on my local mtn roads unless I allow someone to.

But I am also the one who when taunted about switching to a Harley told them I will bring the bike to a track day and will enjoy embarrassing more than a few people. lol. I really need to get back into racing...

I will probably try a set of Avons and then a set of Metz. Though I don't think I will want the additional width of either when it comes to my mtn riding. The dunlops hold great when kept hot.

Havent had to ride in any real rain though so I can't comment on that.

Other than the one post of getting 10k miles out of the rear does anyone else have mileage reports to give on these other tires? And please post what kind of riding you do as well cause those who are easy on the throttle are going to get much different life out of tires than those who ride with aggressive cornering and acceleration.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an Avon Cobra set w/ the 250 rear being ordered from Rockymountain. Total $344 and I'm not sure if I can still use the discount code. Any opinions on the Dynabeads? Once I get the tires in I will measure them up and take some pictures so everyone will have a referance.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
If you want another option ANDYCG runs the CONTI RACE ATTACK tires and ive had a set of these before there super sticky tire for hard cornering. Life of the tire is comparitive as well though they dont last as long as the others listed. I run metz right now and its night and day over my scalloped potatoes....

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
FYI, told price from Rocky Mountain including $14 Dynabeads was $323 w/ free shipping. Not bad! And yes, the coupon code 96639 for 10% off your entire order still works.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.