Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What parts scrape first on the Muscles? Is it the pegs? The exhaust? If whatever scrapes first were remedied, what would scrape next? I know the point of the V-rod is not to be a corner carver, but what modifications would add to the available lean angle before you scrape hard parts? Foot pegs can be moved up, and exhausts can be changed.... just wondering what the options are.

Thanks!
Cale

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you were to raise the pegs up an inch or so, would the frame scrape next?

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha thats the idea, I was just wondering what you can do to get every bit of lean out of it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Your heel hits first ! Then the peg , then the muffler than the saddle bag then the grip : O (stock pipes )
My heel always hits first. Scary at first, however I'm use to it now.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol.... lets hope not the grip! I usually ride in cowboy boots with a rubber pad on a wooden heel...I ground through to the wood on my last bike!

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Your heel hits first ! Then the peg , then the muffler than the saddle bag then the grip : O (stock pipes )
My heel always hits first. Scary at first, however I'm use to it now.
I swapped my front foot peg supports around to get the extra "2 inches of reach" (I'm 6'5") and on my first ride (after working the shifter height out) my I dragged my heel around a big corner that I used to never have problems with. Even though I have to consciously ride with toes pointed down a bit for big corners (including intersections), I'm still glad I made that change.
For the record, I'm yet to drag a peg guard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there a cure for this? I'm finally moving away from sportbikes and track days (because really, why have the sport bike if you aren't going to flog it at the track).

I might even take the muscle to the track (road course), but I really want to be able to put all the tire to work. So far, I get the exhaust up out of the way, then remove the feelers....am I now going into uncharted territory?

I figure I need some new front internals and maybe find a way to put some ohlins on the rear...

I'd like it to handle sort of like a Diavel, but I don't want the Diavel.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hell, throw on a trask, and you got no real exhaust to worry about :)

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
Ha thats the idea, I was just wondering what you can do to get every bit of lean out of it.
I don't scrap. (Anymore) When I get home I will take a picture of my rear tire. I have about 1/4 wide chicken strip around the rear tire. That's using a lot of that 240 I would say. The key is the suspension.
And while everyone else is moving their forks up in the triple clamps, I have moved mine down in the triple clamps about .2 of an inch. I have $1700.00 in my forks and rear shocks and that made my bike so much better to ride. I rode with a guy who had a Muscle and he thought he was quite a fast rider in the twisties. We both took off and he was following me. I went around three turns and I could not see him in my mirror any more. The whole ride I would have to go slow down the straights to let him catch up the distance I would pull him through the corners. When we stopped, he told me he could see my suspension working and could tell the mods made a difference. He couldn't keep up.

Bicep

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm with you Ozracer. I've had mine out on a track and have about 10mm of chicken strips....I'm chasing prices/availability on Rizoma midmount footrests but I don't think they will fit over the standard exhaust. I might have to try Bicep's mod of moving the forks down a little

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm with you Ozracer. I've had mine out on a track and have about 10mm of chicken strips....I'm chasing prices/availability on Rizoma midmount footrests but I don't think they will fit over the standard exhaust. I might have to try Bicep's mod of moving the forks down a little

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
I found a company that makes mid controls for the Muscle. I booked marked the web site on my computer at work. I will see if I can find it. I am home for the weekend. I will get back to you.

Bicep

·
Banned
1,923 Posts
I put in stiffer springs and moved my forks down. Without the springs you will have to move the fork down alot. Stiffer springs will take the droop out of the front. This will make your front end higher without moving your forks then fine tune by moving your forks. You can expect to have a little slower stearing in the tight stuff but it will be very stable in long sweeping turns.

Bicep

1 - 19 of 19 Posts