Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone-
With only 1088 miles on my new rod, I'm starting to get serious about a good hard and fast launch. I've read about taking it up to 7 or 8000 rpm and dumping the clutch with great emphasis on HOLDING ON! My question is... Why? what exactly happens? what rpm are you guys really taking off at? I'm used to my sportster picking up the front tire off the line and again into 2nd, but I'm pretty sure the vrod won't be the same. Help a brother out... I would like to get it right... just a little spin would be a nice launch... whatever comments you guys make I thank you for! BTW... I love the look on guys faces with custom v twins and metric cruisers when they cant take me from a roll on! (They wont even race me from the line)

Your friend, John Ps, I'll post pictures of my pingel setup soon!

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
I've got the 28T pulley which really helps off the line, versus 30T. From a dead, I twist full throttle and engage the clutch around 5.5-6k rpm. I prefer rolling launches when just showing off or goofing off, about 3-5 mph, pull in clutch, full throttle and dump at 6-7k. Easier on the equipment to me rolling. The rod handles it fine, no concern for front tire lifting, it'll just spin rear, rear end drifts to the left. The 30T is kinda weak off the line...28T pure fun. Be carefull, it can be addicting and you don't want to abuse her too much.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
28T is required for a resonable racing launch - assuming that you are on a prepped track with a clean and heated rear tire - my method - 6,000 RPM on third light drop/slide the clucth -I slide it pretty agressively - almost dumped - roll on while sliding out the cluct - it will fall into a slight bog but then kicks into heay acceleration - I keep my feet forward near the front pegs - lift them up upon initial launch so that you are prepared to hit second when the shift light comes on - currently set at 8,625 with 9,400 rev limiter setting. It should not break loose (appropriate track conditions) and the front end is pretty well planted...KSP

1 - 3 of 3 Posts