Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, again HD stated my rotors are in spec. But the pulse is driving me crazy and it is changing the way I brake. Should I replace with stock rotors, or go aftermarket? What is out there, and what have you used. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
I will be watching this. I have the same problem and was also told my rotors were in spec. The pulsation is sometimes very severe. I am curious to read the responses.

·
Premium Member
2,002 Posts
I haven't got my book in front of me but I think the spec for run-out is .012". You can have severe pulsation that will make the front brake all but useless at .007" or .008" with the Brembo brakes. My dealer called tech support and they told them to replace my rotors and pads.

·
Bike is for sale!
5,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the 05' SE with standard HD brakes, and original pads. Going to change pads out I think while everything is apart.

·
1,738 Posts
firemedic: Your SE has the Reactor wheels. I warped my rotors after changing to the Reactor wheel (had 20,000 miles on the rotors), and the low mileage used rotors I replaced them with warped in 5,000 miles, I am wondering if the Reactor wheels are contributing to the problem. I have been told that there are no aftermarket rotors that fit the Reactor wheels. If you find them let me know. I recently changed to new HD rotors and new pads and hope they last more than 5,000 miles. If I have to change them every 5,000 miles at least pads and rotors are only about $300.00 or so, and they are easy to change yourself.

Fred

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I've never seen rotors for the V-Rod,like my 03,offered from any where but Harley.I have another set of take offs that I've been putting off for to long now.I have a Weld wheel w adapters on now.Will regular rotors for a late model Harley fit my Weld wheel?

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
skipmccall said:
I seem to remember Vmod having some adapters to fit the floating disc on aftermarket wheels. Might check with him.

I have the adapters on now,from Hog Pro.
What I'm asking is,can I remove the adapters and just bolt on floating rotors like what's on my X? Maybe w spacers from the other style Harleys?

Also,will there be any problems using a floating rotor on the rear of my X?
There isn't anything wrong w it,I want one to match the slots in the wheel and the pulley and the non floaters I'm looking at aren't as thick as the factory style.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Dallas, TX
1,244 Posts
firemedic said:
I have the 05' SE with standard HD brakes, and original pads. Going to change pads out I think while everything is apart.
I have the same bike with 8,000 miles - still on original pads and rotors, no brake pulse.

·
Banned
787 Posts
Elrod on the V-Rod,
Yep, that's who it was Hog Pro. Sorry I don't know about a simple bolt on, but maybe if you do a complete changeover to an aftermarket performance system they could do your bolt pattern with full floaters. Like Real Brembo's etc. Good luck finding out. Surely someone has done this or tried it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm not sure, but I thought I saw rotors for the Vrod in the J&P Cycles catalog. I look and get back with ya'. Peace!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
ElrodontheV-Rod said:
I have the adapters on now,from Hog Pro.
What I'm asking is,can I remove the adapters and just bolt on floating rotors like what's on my X? Maybe w spacers from the other style Harleys?

Also,will there be any problems using a floating rotor on the rear of my X?
There isn't anything wrong w it,I want one to match the slots in the wheel and the pulley and the non floaters I'm looking at aren't as thick as the factory style.

Elrod on the V-Rod
I bought aftermarket wheels for my VRSCR. At the time of purchase I was told that I could buy the rotors from the same manufacturer because they weren't built to mount stock VRSC rotors, they were drilled for stand HD bolt pattern. I also bought the HogPro adapters because there aren't many alternatives that are 11.8" instead of 11.5" rotors. The last .3" is on the outside of the rotor and to me provides more leverage being farther from the center of the wheel. I think it would make a difference in total brake power.
They put a matching aftermarket rotor on the rear and I left it because it looked good and don't expect that much from the rear rotor in the braking equation.
The only 11.8" rotor with the standard HD bolt pattern is the rotor offered on the VRSCX with the front wire wheel. I have stored that away in my little book of facts that may prove useful. The price isn't bad at Zannotti's either if I remember correctly.
My answer then is if you are using the the Hogpro adapters and HD 11.8" rotors for the brembo brakes, then the VRSCX rotors should work for you. If you don't mind losing the .3" and want to run 11.5" rotors, there are many rotors that will fit. You could even fit the PM 13" rotors but would have to replace the calipers from PM or someone else designed for 13" rotors.

As far as the rear rotor thickness, I believe that I read on another thread that the increase in thickness in the rear rotor is to make up for not being floating rotors. That is, the thicker rotor is less prone to warping when not in a floating configuration. The rotors that provided by the aftermarket manu. of my wheels, are all the same part number, front right and rear. I think the front left is the same number, just flip it over. They are non-floaters also.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Just so people don't get confused with all this talk of the Hogpro adapters, you can put stock rotors on aftermarket wheels with this adapter but the ONLY rotors available for a STOCK front wheel (except for the VRSCX) is the Harley rotor. There is no way to adapt an aftermarket rotor to a stock solid or reactor wheel since the rotor center is actually cast into the rim so you are stuck with the Harley rotors, period.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thanks for the info. Mark,great input for those that might be thinking wrong.
I'm just gonna get a rear rotor for the X for now,only for cosmetic reasons.
I have a good set of used factory rotors for the 03 I'll stick on for the time being.I need to collect more parts for my engine and I want to concentrate this modification.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
firemedic said:
Well, again HD stated my rotors are in spec. But the pulse is driving me crazy and it is changing the way I brake. Should I replace with stock rotors, or go aftermarket? What is out there, and what have you used. I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg.
Thanks.
I know you said you don't want to spend an arm and a leg but you might come out ahead with these Link
They have a lifetime warranty.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
For the most part Harley Rotors are much better then the after market rotors is my experience. If you have a problem with rotors warping often then possible a change of brake pad on new rotors to a different brand. While they build some of the best rotors I won't be bragging up Harley Brake pads. :)

·
Janitor of Anarchy
172 Posts
I've read all of these warped rotor threads and now I'm just as confused as last season.

I have a 2003 vrod w/ Weld racing wheels and rotors, and no surprise that all three rotors are warped. I swapped the pads out twice last season on all three calipers. Helped a bit in the rear but the front brakes are not usable.

Will the # 210-2401 from QTMI work? I'd like to keep the look of the matching Weld Recluse but?!?!!? I was looking at a link to Apex (something) from grcustoms.com but the webpage is timing out now...

Help!

·
Jeff
1,306 Posts
what are the part numbers for an 03A stock front and rear rotors?

·
Premium Member
2,930 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts