Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due for an oil change, rather than running HD oils :paper:, i'm looking at Penerite 0w-40w synthetic. Have heard that it performs well with the air heads.

Attachments

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Cannola. peanut for Blinker oil...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, put the wrong test up, also wrong oil, penrite MC-4 5W-50 FULL SYNTHETIC
MOTORCYCLE FOUR STROKE OIL.
But, Amsoil, seems like the oil of choice...

·
Registered
142 Posts
My old man just bought 16L of Amsoil so i guess ill be using that when im due for a service. From what ive heard its the oil of choice around here.

·
Wick
546 Posts
HD Oil for me all the info I have ever read on the synthetic oil usually states the main gains are in high milage engines, and lengthened interval for servicing. I change my oil and filter every 6 months no matter of milage so in my case I think synthetic is not warranted. Thats just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Amsoils doubles your drain interval and you use one oil filter for twice as long so it is cheaper or you can be like Matchy former HD warranty rep in Oz and use cheap arse Valvolin but he use to change it every couple of 000

Shit but a 30k bike and whinge about a bit of oil

Next you'll ride on bald tyres to get the most out of them.

·
Wick
546 Posts
Amsoils doubles your drain interval and you use one oil filter for twice as long so it is cheaper or you can be like Matchy former HD warranty rep in Oz and use cheap arse Valvolin but he use to change it every couple of 000

Maybe if I was a Amsoil Distributor my opinion may change. I was giving an unbiase opinion.
Shit didnt realise I was whinging thought I was just giving my opinion as Cossack had asked.
"How dare I."

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts

the drain intervals are listed in the owners manual.
and with basically any synthetic you can risk longer drain intervals.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This was always be a topic of great discussion, almost to the point of defensive. Wicksy is right, i'm after EVERYONES opinion, in which to help make a, hopefully, good choice of oils. In the end everyone has different views on oils and oil/filter change intervals.
Thanks guys

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
In the end everyone has different views on oils and oil/filter change intervals.
Thanks guys
their are no different views, only what is written in the owners manual.
everybody elses opinions dont count for crap.
their are dino oils that do just as synth's on UOA's that cost less than half.
I am old fashioned, I change at the recomended intervals with the cheapest spec oil i find, be it synth, dino, or vegetable.

thou, in my experience, MY motor and clutch loves racing synth oil,
but will hump the others too.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
Amsoil this time .Bike was run in with stock HD oil for 100 kilometres.I drained that and filled with HD Syn3.Then repeated process with Syn3 at 1600kms.Had to top up about 700mls over the course of the next 6000k's.Would have continued with it apart from the usage so decided on Amsoil First thing i noticed with the amsoil was no difference noticeable.No miraculous quietening of the clunk no naked women on Night Rods pulling into my driveway etc.I'll probabably try them all over the years until i find the combination of right price,easy availability and non burningness.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
20w50 your honour.

·
Banned
5,281 Posts
May your gavel turn into a hand grenade when you sentence your next victim.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts