Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:driving: salut,

I'm living in France near Paris (Maison Alfort). I'm motorbike theacher. And i wonder what must you do for having an motocycle licence in USA.:driving:

·
Fade to Black
2,526 Posts
You can go to the DOT here with a motorcycle and take a driving test and a writen test our you can take a motorcycle safety course which teaches you the basics(you being a teacher dont need this) and only take the writen test at the DOT.

·
On Good Ol' Nbr7
7,267 Posts
It might differ from state to state but what Jeck said holds true for Michigan. The DOT is Department of Transportation. In Michigan, it's called the Secretary of State's office but the same thing goes. The pain in the butt part of the "Road Test" is the low speed figure 8 you have to ride in the confined parking lot without putting your feet down.

HoldHard

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
I was told you just have to slip the examiner a Benjamin Franklin and that was it.

:D

·
Never Late
520 Posts
In NH you don't need to take a written test.....thats if you already have a car licence. Here is the test course you have to pass in NH.

It is a rather tight course for a v-rod....being so long of a bike, but it can be done...i did it.

Attachments

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
myneed4speed said:
Andrew Jackson for me

If he would have seen the way you ride I bet he would have asked for a Woodrow Wilson! :)

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
In Ohio you either take the written test for your learners permit, then the road test (30 seconds through some cones at low speed), or you can just take the MSF course and be granted your license at the end.

Since it's probably different for each state, you might want to mention which state you intend to get your license (or just come over to Ohio since you now know how to do it here! :) )

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
in oklahoma you take a short written exam and then they have you drive around the block on your motorcycle...that's about it :cheers:

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
In Washington, if you've been driving a car, you first have to undergo surgery to have the missing half of your brain reinstalled.

From there... a simple written test followed by a driving test consisting of an emergency stop, hazard avoidance maneuver, and obstacle course. Once the test is taken, a small fee allows you to keep the motorcycle endorsement added to your regular drivers license.

·
Banned
15,036 Posts
elfreedo said:
:driving: salut,

I'm living in France near Paris (Maison Alfort). I'm motorbike theacher. And i wonder what must you do for having an motocycle licence in USA.:driving:
First thing we do nowadays is pick up the phone, call the DMV, and press "1" for English...

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
You have to ride a wheelie for 5 miles. Do a stoppie, and burn out your rear tire till it explodes.

Just kidding, LiquidSilver has it right for my state excluding the brain surgery :D

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
Cheatin said:
First thing we do nowadays is pick up the phone, call the DMV, and press "1" for English...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
You need a license to ride a motorcycle? :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Florida

Take a written test $5 (computerized) then a 7 part riding test $15... those are the State requirements, they suggest you take one of the Safety courses that will meet the requirements for the endorsement. Cones (zig-zag) are real fun on the DX. I actually ran the last one over and squashed it...still passed though...

·
SpeedoDocter
2,364 Posts
what's the minimum age for the motorcycle license?

over here it's 18 ,and way more difficult to get...(long story)
from 18 to 21 there's the 25kW license (anti18onthaHayabusa)

speeding tickets are expensive but doing more than 50km/h (32mi/h)above speed limit you will lose your complete license(car,bus,motorcycle)whatever you have (That's gona give you som trouble!!!)

max highwayspeed is 75 mi/h (plus 31:D )
normal non city is 50 (till 130 avoiding speed trap)
city 32

Originally Posted by Cheatin

i also saw you can pay for your pizza in peso's

1 - 20 of 36 Posts