Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

This kinda goes along with a thread where I was comparing a couple bikes. however I wanted this here because yall are the ones with the experience making the bikes sport tourers and can speak from experience.

I'm wondering what kinds of trips yall do on a consistent basis? How far do you go in a day? How many hours on the bike do you go? How far are you and a passenger able to go and still be able to move at the end of the day?

I have heard people say its not possible to go longer distances or full day rides, not possible to do so comfortably etc. So I am wanting to know from those that have.

We will be doing alot of exploring, back roads kind of riding, usually 2 up. There may be freeway riding too for longer trips (such as to Niagra etc) where we may be on the bike 8+ hours. During the week I will be moving through traffic on freeways, and several times a 2.5 hour commute half freeway, half rural highway where I may need some fast acceleration to pass.

I know that a quality seat is important. I have a corbin atm with one backrest (still waiting to get the bike to put it on) My mrs is only 5'2 and cant sit on anything but an 883 low flat footed. I am thinking of the peg relocation kit for her. I also plan on putting corbin fleetliner bags on it. Upgraded suspension may have to wait till winter.

I appreciate any feedback.

·
reservation dogs
1,993 Posts
I do a couple of cross country rides a year, anywhere from 2500 to 5000 miles per trip. I don't ride at night but can easily do 700 miles in a day but normally average 500 to 600. I ride solo, my wife rides her own V-Rod, she is 5-1 and 90lbs and has no trouble with the V, she is also 63 years young.
I prefere the stock '07 and later seat, but thats just me others like different seats. I like the V over most any other bike I have ridden as a road bike. By the way my V's have been converted to Road Rods.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
The biggest surprise to me is that I prefer my DX as a highway bike over my Heritage Softail. Yes, even without a windshield. I have the Harley mid-controls: with my arms in front and my feet under me I feel "neutrally buoyant" at speed (wind supporting body).

Most of my riding is long distance. I generally plan on 400-600 miles/day. Will go 800 miles the last day of the trip, but will need a day of rest the next day.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I ride from Ridgecrest out near Death Valley to either Long Beach below LA or to the Gay Bay pretty much every month, using either my R or one of my Beemers. Each are equally comfortable for my slightly sub six foot frame. The R has a Supersport Windshield finagled on it and Sport Saddlebags most of the time. I also finagled A model hard bags on it but the mounting brackets are ridiculously heavy, making the bike less than fun to chuck around on mountain roads. I have a plan for a lighter mounting system.
I like to take the R to the WSBK round in Tooele Utah in late May just for the perverse joy of being the only guy on an R. There is a leg from Tonopah to Ely NV where I have to carry a gallon of gas with me because the bike doesn't have the range for that distance.
I also take the R to Laguna Seca each year so I can play with sport bikes on the coast on something as unexpected as a friggen Harley Davidson.
With that windshield and the Sundowner seat, plus drag bars on DX risers, I can burn off tank after tank comfortably. No neck or back pain, fairly easy on the hands and wrists, and that windshield gives me great wind protection. I use it like a BMW, which I think is high praise.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
i do a couple of cross country rides a year, anywhere from 2500 to 5000 miles per trip. I don't ride at night but can easily do 700 miles in a day but normally average 500 to
+1

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
For me the seat is the limiting factor. 300 miles and I'm saddle sore and have to make frequent stops to keep going beyond that. I have the Sundowner seat on my 06 d with forward controls. I'm a big guy, and a geezer with arthritis as well so that limits me too.

I'm looking into having a custom seat made but the reality is I don't often ride more than 2 or 3 hundred miles at a time anyway.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have to gas up every 150mi max so I get a break often.The sundowner put me a bit closer to the frwrd controls and that was good for a short geezer body.I can run 4-500mi without major probs.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I've done 700 mile days several times. Twice before the Sundowner seat, but subsequent trips have been with the Sundowner. I don't consider a 700 mile trip a "long" trip, but we do have a member here that took his V on a ride to Alaska.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
For me the seat is the limiting factor. 300 miles and I'm saddle sore and have to make frequent stops to keep going beyond that. I have the Sundowner seat on my 06 d with forward controls. I'm a big guy, and a geezer with arthritis as well so that limits me too.

I'm looking into having a custom seat made but the reality is I don't often ride more than 2 or 3 hundred miles at a time anyway.
Air Hawk set cushion will solve that problem

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Air Hawk set cushion will solve that problem
Nope, that sits me too high in the seat and that doesn't suit me.

I ended up getting a "Butt Buffer" seat cushion that's less than an inch thick that has helped a good bit. The good thing about the BB is I can move it around on the seat and that helps, if fact, it's helped me figure out what the shape of a custom seat should be. It's like an upolstered breast implant:D and I've considered incorporating it into a custom seat when I get around to it.

·
Life's Circle
6,040 Posts
but we do have a member here that took his V on a ride to Alaska.
Paging Hanzo...Hanzo, please come to the courtesy phone

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Coming back from Bike Week a couple years back, I left Ft Lauderdale at 6AM, and made it to New Orleans at 5PM that evening. I was going to stay with a friend, but DanWife informed me it was raining in Dallas, and it would rain all the next day. It was beautiful in NO. So I decided to head home while I had good weather. Hit the rain in Longview, and made it home at 3AM.

Gerbing electrics, an XM radio (Bluesville, man) and an AirHawk seat cushion made it possible.

The 3 gallon tank in the back, and plenty of gas stations along the route, let me go 200 miles between gas stops. Actually, except for the rain, I could have gone a lot farther.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ride from Ridgecrest out near Death Valley to either Long Beach below LA or to the Gay Bay pretty much every month, using either my R or one of my Beemers. Each are equally comfortable for my slightly sub six foot frame. The R has a Supersport Windshield finagled on it and Sport Saddlebags most of the time. I also finagled A model hard bags on it but the mounting brackets are ridiculously heavy, making the bike less than fun to chuck around on mountain roads. I have a plan for a lighter mounting system.
I like to take the R to the WSBK round in Tooele Utah in late May just for the perverse joy of being the only guy on an R. There is a leg from Tonopah to Ely NV where I have to carry a gallon of gas with me because the bike doesn't have the range for that distance.
I also take the R to Laguna Seca each year so I can play with sport bikes on the coast on something as unexpected as a friggen Harley Davidson.
With that windshield and the Sundowner seat, plus drag bars on DX risers, I can burn off tank after tank comfortably. No neck or back pain, fairly easy on the hands and wrists, and that windshield gives me great wind protection. I use it like a BMW, which I think is high praise.
Philthy, that is high praise as I know a couple with BMW's that love em.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I do appreciate it. As I said I just wanted to confirm what I had heard that the V can still make a good sport tourer. I'd heard so many say ya cant do this or that, but i had to hear it from those who have done it etc.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Yes, you can. I have been on a couple of long rides with Joseph3dogs (1000 mile plus) and have NO problem with a Roadrod. My AW with a SS windscreen went on another 1600 mile trip. Ann has her own, so I ride solo, with her beside me. Way better than my FLHTC, FLH, Buell, or Shovel. WAY BETTER! Joe

·
Registered
54 Posts
FWIW, I thought I would throw my opinion in here as well. This was my biggest question before I purchased the bike. I had done a few 800-1000 mile days on previous bikes (Roadstar, FLHT), but they were always too slow for me. I wanted speed, but to still be able to cruise. I have a dx, only additions are a headlight and switchblade footpegs (Harley should have put these on every VROD, make all the difference in the world). Most of the people that have replied have heavily modded bikes. Mine has less than $100 into it, and I have done at least a dozen trips of more than 500 in a day, and twice more thank 3k in a week. It isn't nearly as comfortable as some of the bigger bikes, but its a lot more fun!!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Going to the [email protected] open house in June 1700-2300 miles round trip depending on the riding we do. Planning on primitive camping!

·
V-Rod Newb
364 Posts
I thought I would jump in. I do not have a Harley right now. I want the V-Rod and my wife wants the EZ Chair Road King. Can some more people chime in about 2-UP riding? Which seat is best and how far do you guys ride before she starts complaining?
Jim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts