Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is not stock nor Amsoil.

It might be K&N or a H-D Screamin' Eagle filter.

The reason for asking is one requires oiling and the other does not.

So I don't know whether to oil it or not.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
If it's a whitish paper, it's a throwaway. If it's cloth with a wire mesh, it's KN or SE, can be cleaned and requires oiling.

Rick

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
:worthless

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
K and N requires oil (thats what i have)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forum F*ck up. I posted a picture with the thread. Will try again.

PICTURE IS NOW IN POST #1

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
K and N requires oil (thats what i have)
Trouble is with not knowing what filter it is I don't know whether to oil it or not. The S.E. filter I bought sometime ago does not require oil. The K&N does. I have a K&N filter maintenance kit but it has never been opened.

I have sold at least one filter recently and sent one along with the 2003 when I sold it so What to do?
I think I sold the K&N but not sure.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like an SE to me a non oiler
What I wanted to hear. Now I can sell my unopened K&N filter service kit and add to my fortune.

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
I was told mine is an SE filter. Looks exactly like that (wire mesh, cloth-ish inside), except that the silicone on top/bottom is blue, rather than black.

Now, to take this off-topic, what is the proper care and feeding of such a beast? I never got any instructions with mine - the cost of buying used...

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DaveK,
Here is a LINK to the current filter. It shows a blue ring top and bottom
According to the document it does not need oiling just use a grease cutter and rinse with water. DO not blow dry with a compressor as you may damage the filaments.

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
DaveK,
Here is a LINK to the current filter. It shows a blue ring top and bottom
According to the document it does not need oiling just use a grease cutter and rinse with water. DO not blow dry with a compressor as you may damage the filaments.
You got that backwards.

The early SE filters were K&N filters and NEED oiling. The newer are a dry media filter. That looks like a early SE or K&N to me.

What numbers are on the sealing surface?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You got that backwards.

The early SE filters were K&N filters and NEED oiling. The newer are a dry media filter. That looks like a early SE or K&N to me.

What numbers are on the sealing surface?
Bingo, In my dementia I never thought to look at the filter for clues. It says K&N all over it.

and I edited my erroneous post to delete the bad info.

Thanks all

·
Yooper/Geek
745 Posts
Yeah, that's the one. I think I chased down that rabbit hole once before, now that I actually think about it...

So..Dawn in the dishpan, and drip dry then. Fortunately, it doesn't get very dirty up here in the clean air.

Wonder how many seeds the mice have stowed in the airbox this winter? Getting to be time to actually start looking at that stuff. I.e. the garage isn't much below freezing any more...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts