Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU GET FROM A TANK BEFORE THE LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT COMES ON?

• 60-70

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • 70-80

Votes: 87 42.6%
  • 80-100

Votes: 78 38.2%
  • 100 PLUS

Votes: 12 5.9%
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that this would happen. My Dealer called HD Tech today to ask why my fuel gage readings changed after replacement of the Fuel Flange. See "Fuel Gage Reading After Fuel Module Replacement" thread in this forum.

HD told them that the low fuel light should come on at about 70 miles and that when previously it had come on at 110 miles that I was running on fumes. I took the bike in to the Dealer with the gage reading barely over the E and with 98 miles on the odometer. Then I went next door and filled it up, returning with a receipt that showed it took 2.8 gallons. If the tank really holds 3.7 gallons, I had .9 gallons remaining. Assuming that it holds slightly less than 3.7 gallons, I would still have probably .7-.8 gallons in the tank.

Before the Flange replacement the light came on at between 100-110 miles and I would fill up just below 1/4 mark. It would almost always take 2.7 gallons. Now it takes that amount when it is just barely above empty.

What is normal, my old reading, or the new one? Help me decide, and possibly give me ammunition to argue this matter further. If you know how far you can go on a tank before the Low Fuel Light comes on please indicate it above.

Thanks for your vote.

Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like the HD tech was correct, my gage now is more typical, and previously it was atypical. I prefered my gage like it was. Too bad. Thanks to those who have voted and the rest of you please answer the poll and pass on any comments.
Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Byran: Glad to see you resurrect this thread. I am about to take my bike back in. The light now comes on at about 55, and the gage is becoming more erratic.

ALL YOU NEW GUYS PLEASE VOTE IN THE POLL.

Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
rc4man: I ran out of fuel at 104 on the odometer when cruising at 70-85 mph 28 mpg). Admittedly, I am not sure if the half quart overfill by the Dealer on the oil effected mileage, but not a good idea to bet on getting the same mileage at all times.

Fred

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
3.7 gallons when completely dry (unfortunately). 1 gallon from an portable, and 2.7 gallons at the pump. However, probably closer to 3.6 as I had short run to the gas station.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.