Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

HOW MANY MILES DO YOU GET FROM A TANK BEFORE THE LOW FUEL WARNING LIGHT COMES ON?

• 60-70

Votes: 27 13.3%
  • 70-80

Votes: 86 42.4%
  • 80-100

Votes: 78 38.4%
  • 100 PLUS

Votes: 12 5.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought that this would happen. My Dealer called HD Tech today to ask why my fuel gage readings changed after replacement of the Fuel Flange. See "Fuel Gage Reading After Fuel Module Replacement" thread in this forum.

HD told them that the low fuel light should come on at about 70 miles and that when previously it had come on at 110 miles that I was running on fumes. I took the bike in to the Dealer with the gage reading barely over the E and with 98 miles on the odometer. Then I went next door and filled it up, returning with a receipt that showed it took 2.8 gallons. If the tank really holds 3.7 gallons, I had .9 gallons remaining. Assuming that it holds slightly less than 3.7 gallons, I would still have probably .7-.8 gallons in the tank.

Before the Flange replacement the light came on at between 100-110 miles and I would fill up just below 1/4 mark. It would almost always take 2.7 gallons. Now it takes that amount when it is just barely above empty.

What is normal, my old reading, or the new one? Help me decide, and possibly give me ammunition to argue this matter further. If you know how far you can go on a tank before the Low Fuel Light comes on please indicate it above.

Thanks for your vote.

Fred

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I noticed the same thing but I think HD has always tried to get the "low fuel" light to come on when you have ~1 gallon left so I think the current settings are closer to what they designed. It didn't really change the way I ride, I always fill up based on the Odometer. I start looking for gas around 90 miles and absolutely stop at the next station when I get to 110 miles.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
The new reading is normal. Per your survey the light comes on ~75 mi. If it was coming on at 110 you probably had less than a gallon. But remember, by design one gallon should be held in reserve to cool the fuel pump. 3.7 gallons are available, but you risk burning up the pump if you don't have the fuel to cool it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When I drive it it comes on at about 100 miles, when the wife drives it about 120. It dosn't make sence to me because she rides about the same way I do, just 90 pounds lighter!

·
Registered
339 Posts
V-Fred,

My Low Fuel Light has always come on at the 1/4 tank mark which has been more or less consistent with 80 miles of riding since the last fill-up. I have hit the empty mark at 110 miles and my bike will take 2.9 - 3 gallons at that point, which means that I probably could have been able to ride an extra 8-10 miles before running dry.
That being said, this scenario is all prior to the Fuel Flange Fix, which is being done "as we speak" (my bike is at the dealer now for this re-work), so unfortunately I will not be able to tell if there's a difference until I can ride it in the spring.
In any case, it seems to me that what you are seeing now (after the fix) is very similar to what I was seeing before the fix. And per the poll results, so far, it looks like your new condition seems to be the "normal" one.

I would bet that the fuel tank total volume is 3.7 gallon, but once you substract the volume taken by the pump, it probably becomes more like 3.5 gal (just a "guestimate"), this also needs to be taken into account.

In any case, I'm anxious now to see how my bike behaves after the fix. I'm really hoping there is no difference (unless it is for a more accurate reading).

·
Registered
40 Posts
V-Fred,

My bike was not in the recall range, and a gauge reading "empty", it takes ~2.8 gallons to fill it back up.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
riding 2 -up with saddlebags I got 130miles freeway and it took 3.3 to fill, if I remember. Cutting it close. light was on at 100 then, but comes on at 70-80 now. Mileage is still the same though.
Greg

·
Registered
974 Posts
I only get about 114 miles before I start sweating . So I fill up at 80-90. Always take 2.5 gallons though so mine is off too......... Oh well.
Harley has always stunk at this , My Road King and both Electraglides do not have the most accurate gauges.
BobT

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I can give you an answer at the end of March,when the snow and salt are gone.I really can't remember :hmm: I got a good tune done to it,just when it started snowing hear. :mad: I would have to say 60-80miles.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I had the recall done 2 days ago.when I filled up the gauge was 2 almost 3 needles away from full.This really pi##%d me off because the 3 times I've had work performed at the dealer I've had a problem.A scratch,a ding the fuel gauge and a helluva gouge in the swing-arm that was'nt noticable untill the mufflers were removed,evidently done during the PDI.I emailed the GM at the dealer last night and no response yet. I had been getting about 20 miles per 1/4 and the light was on at a 1/4 tank.I have only used a 1/2 tank since fill-up.I'll let you know what happens.Oh,performance from 90mph to appr 130 has increased.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the HD tech was correct, my gage now is more typical, and previously it was atypical. I prefered my gage like it was. Too bad. Thanks to those who have voted and the rest of you please answer the poll and pass on any comments.
Fred

·
Registered
284 Posts
Fuel Indication

V-Fred said:
I thought that this would happen. My Dealer called HD Tech today to ask why my fuel gage readings changed after replacement of the Fuel Flange. See "Fuel Gage Reading After Fuel Module Replacement" thread in this forum.

Thanks for your vote.

Fred
I'm getting my Fuel Flange changed here in Oz next Thursday, so I'l let you know if it makes a difference.
Light comes on right on the final 1/4 tank indication, approx 50 kms for each 1/4 calibration mark.
My bike is a 03 Annodised unit, and has only ever stalled once as everyone else discribed.

Best wishes.

Ken.
:460:

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
Varies, depending on riding conditions. I'll go anywhere between 85 and 100 miles before the light comes on, which happens just below 1/4 tank indicated.
When I run her down to just a hair above the E- I can squeeze in almost 3.0 gal.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
My tank registered 1/4 with 36 miles.No light on and 9/10 of a gal for fill-up! I noticed a quick disconnect wire hanging down by the back tire on the left side of the bike today.There was still no answer to my email so I went by the dealer and the GM was off grounds at a special meeting.Mike the salseman was in charge and I went off on him about all of my complaints.He gave me his word that I will be contacted and these complaints solved.I'll fix it myself if they will let me have at the dips===t that calls himself a technician.

Elrod on the V-Rod

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
I filled mine up yesterday at 88 miles and the light was not on yet. It was between the 1/4 and 1/8 tank indications, and I put in 2.16 gallons (40.7 MPG fuel economy). That was all in-town driving with occasional blasts up to 70 MPH on short highway straight-aways.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The only way to really answer this is to run out of gas. So someone with saddlebags needs to put a gallon of gas or so in them, ride till dry. Actually better yet get a chaser vheicle to either load the bike into and fill up to know exact volume, or have your chaser be a truck with those cool pumps in the bed. Then you will know for sure.

Or you could just say screw it I'll fill up around 100miles, and just ride. Course you could just idle at the pump for a while.

Just to further this topic though, because it effects the amount in the tank. How do you fill it. I used to fill my old bike while sittng on it to get more in it. But can't with the rod. Do you just put the nozzel in and let it auto shut off, or do you do that then top it off?

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
nickdude said:
The only way to really answer this is to run out of gas. So someone with saddlebags needs to put a gallon of gas or so in them, ride till dry. Actually better yet get a chaser vheicle to either load the bike into and fill up to know exact volume, or have your chaser be a truck with those cool pumps in the bed. Then you will know for sure.

Or you could just say screw it I'll fill up around 100miles, and just ride. Course you could just idle at the pump for a while.

Just to further this topic though, because it effects the amount in the tank. How do you fill it. I used to fill my old bike while sittng on it to get more in it. But can't with the rod. Do you just put the nozzel in and let it auto shut off, or do you do that then top it off?

Nick,
I have heard a few people intentionally running out of fuel and only being able to put 3.2 gals in. So it seems that is the usable fuel capacity.

John

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
I bet that 1/2 gal is what cools the pump. I have yet to run out, and really dont want to. So, I will continue to watch the needle turn that pretty red color and ride til I hit about 100 miles.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey Greg, any luck with those shots of your bags? ;)

Ken.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts