Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I contacted JW Speaker. They said none of their headlights are compatible with the Night Rod after 2009 due to the teardrop shape. Unless someone has come up with a way to make a modification to support the JW models, I will have to consider a different brand. Hoglights is still at the top of my list.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
There are brackets and cowls you can buy to convert over to the 5 3/4” light if that’s what you want.
Can you provide links where I can purchase the appropriate parts? I have not found anything yet although I am probably looking in the wrong places. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Many thanks! AlteredStateDesign solved that problem and I have found my headlight upgrade. Now I will continue researching additional forward lighting such as fog or highway bar lights. I also want to install brighter turning signals.

Recommendations for very bright, "in your face" turning signals are greatly appreciated. Below are some of my ideas:

(1) For the rear signals, one idea I have upgrade the stock signals to LED, as well as have an integrated signal in the fender, which will give me two turning signals on either side.

(2) For the front signals, I was thinking about having the stock signals upgraded to LED and install the mirrors with the turning signals behind them. Once again, I will have two lights on either side. I liked the bar end signals, but if I install heated grips then you I do not think you can install bar end lights. The fork lights look nice, but I do not think they are as bright as the other signals I am considering.

(3) Install an intermittent flashing kit for the front headlight and rear brake light (assuming those are legal in New Jersey...still researching this). If I can switch those lights from "flashing" to "on" (meaning without flashing), I can then control that option depending on what state I am riding in. I foresee riding in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Florida.

(4) Upgrade the lighting for the license plate. (New Jersey police are really picky about your license plate light. I have had friends pulled over and ticketed because their plate light was too dim even though the light was working.)

Your feedback and recommendations are greatly appreciated! If possible, please provide links.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Here's the full write-up of what I did, basically took off the standard 5.75" circular headlight that came on my 2006 Night Rod, and replacing it with an elongated oval shaped headlight as found on the other V-Rod models, but a knock off daymaker version from China you can buy on Amazon.

Write-up: How To Install a Daymaker Headlight on a V-Rod - YouMotorcycle
Video where I run you through all the parts I used:

Oh, and these were the parts I used:

Harley-Davidson Headlight Bracket (only needed if switching from Night Rod VRSCD or Night Rod Special VRSCDX to typical V-Rod oval headlight):
https://amzn.to/2sbwHzC
Harley-Davidson Daymaker-style LED headlight:
https://amzn.to/2xhn739
Harley-Davidson Headlight Jumper Cable
(get it from the dealer – makes the job plug-and-play)
Part Number 67657-05

Whole thing cost me like $200, for bracket, cables, LED headlight, and all.
Sounds like on your bike it'd only cost you $120.

I won't be checking 1130cc for a week or so (leaving town tonight), but if you have any questions on my setup you want answered before I get back you can leave me a comment on either the site or the video on youtube and the notification will go right to my phone so I can try to help right away.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts