Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching headlights, taillights, and front & rear turning signal upgrades for the VRSCDX. I am much more interested in high illumination/visibility and safety rather than aesthetics. I really want to put the best and brightest, street-legal lights on the bike. For now, let's assume that budget is not an issue. Does anyone have recommendations? Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve been looking for several weeks and there’s really only a few options for the oblong style headlight and there’s really not good info that I’ve come across. Lumens means nothing if the pattern is bad. What we need is a vendor to post something that we can base an educated decision with. Show pictures of the pattern and how many lux at say 25’ in the center of the pattern with low beam then high beam. I keep looking at the style like the eagle/pathfinder/killercustom/grcustoms/everybody on amazon and the style like hogworkz has and I can’t find anything really on the hogworkz. I would love to see a good comparison of the two. If you go with a 5 3/4 round led you hands down can’t beat JW Speaker products. I really like the adaptive 2 model of the 5 3/4, though there have been some issues with the inclination hardware that activates the filler leds, though I think they have it ironed out on the newer revs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The headlight is a led with halo from China
The front n rear turn signals bulbs were replaced with leds from custom dynamics plug in play.
The load equalizer I used is from Biktronix
The blue body led's, I bought from Walmart and connected them to a multi switch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the Kuryakyn bullet LED turn signals on the Buell, just bought a set for the R. Love them but not cheap at $90 each (not a set)
Rear have a red halo- dual intensity for brake and tail, with a damn near blinding amber signal. Front have a white halo and amber signal. Solid well built items.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree with you. Trying to find a proper side-by-side comparison is practically impossible. Hopefully, we will receive more feedback from people on this forum. Personal experience and recommendation goes a long way with me.

The Kuryakyn looks impressive. I have never heard of that brand before. Doing some research on this...

**Edit #1: The Kuryakn bullet turning signals are not DOT compliant. I love the light but I would like to avoid a ticket. 😀

**Edit #2: After researching Kuryakn lights more carefully, some of the Kuryakyn are DOT approved and some are not. The brightness on these turning signals is what I am looking for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a hoglights australia headlight. Plug an play and perfect fit. World of difference in visibility to the point that I only turn on the bright light when I want to see what it looks like.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
See attached if my pictures work. First is stock, second is hoglights low beam, third is hoglights high beam
That's impressive! Could you tell us which model hoglight, specifically, you installed? Also, how easy was the installation? The reason I ask is due to so many lighting options, sizes, etc., and am very confused which lights are compatible with the VRSCDX.

For example, I found this hoglight made for V-Rods:

·
Registered
112 Posts
That's impressive! Could you tell us which model hoglight, specifically, you installed? Also, how easy was the installation? The reason I ask is due to so many lighting options, sizes, etc., and am very confused which lights are compatible with the VRSCDX.

For example, I found this hoglight made for V-Rods:
The one you linked is the one I bought.
Installation consisted of
1. two bolts undone
2. plug unplugged for stock headlight
3. plug in new headlight heeding hoglights instructions to ensure red goes to red otherwise pop goes the fuse
4. replace both bolts and angle as needed before tightening

That's all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
One thing to also note, while hoglights aren't cheap, they are actually DOT/SAE approved and have I believe a 7 year warranty.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the pics and instructions! Very helpful!

I am comparing your Hoglights headlamp with JW Speaker's adaptive headlights:

JW Speaker is more than double the cost of Hoglights. Both Hoglights and JW Speaker do not report lumens. I know the lumens rating has its limitations, but at least that measurement provides some means of comparison. However, I will default to people's experience and recommendations on this forum. So far, Hoglights is at the top of my list.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the pics and instructions! Very helpful!

I am comparing your Hoglights headlamp with JW Speaker's adaptive headlights:

JW Speaker is more than double the cost of Hoglights. Both Hoglights and JW Speaker do not report lumens. I know the lumens rating has its limitations, but at least that measurement provides some means of comparison. However, I will default to people's experience and recommendations on this forum. So far, Hoglights is at the top of my list.
You can message Nate at hoglights and he may be able to tell you the lumins. Their website has a live chat feature that might get through to him.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don’t worry too much about lumens. The usable light on the roads is what you need. That will be result of the beam pattern and the amount of lux at a given distance. If you want to see the JW Speaker light you referenced look up the reviews done by headlight revolution on YouTube. Hands down the best side by side comparisons I’ve seen for led headlights though I wished he’d do something with one of the vrod style lights.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts