Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we are cruising on the highway at 80 MPH. I pushing about 3 lbs. of boost. I'd actually like to be cruising faster but don't want to have a meltdown. What is a safe boost number that I can keep it at? It seems like some type of manual blow off valve would be nice for highway travel - like if I wanted to cruise at 100 :D.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Are you at 3psi of boost or are you reading 3psi on the boost gauge? Is your gauge hooked up above the throttle bodies or below the throttle bodies? My guess is your hooked up above the throttle bodies and your looking at boost potential and not actual motor boost.

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max said:
Are you at 3psi of boost or are you reading 3psi on the boost gauge? Is your gauge hooked up above the throttle bodies or below the throttle bodies? My guess is your hooked up above the throttle bodies and your looking at boost potential and not actual motor boost.
Max,

I have my boost gauge hooked up to the intake plenum. When I got my trask (got it through you :)), I also bought the gauge and the intake plenum had a fitting of the front to attach the boost gauge to. It is the same gauge you have on your bike.

Thanks.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Then your looking at positive pressure in the intake system. But your most likely still running vacuum at 80 mph or atleast I know I am running about 17 inches of vacuum on average at that speed, a little more going down hills and a little less going up hills. What you see on the gauge is instant boost potential and not actual boost in the engine. You can take and port your gauge to the intake below the the throttle bodies to see if the difference of when your really running boost and how much. The nice thing about having it above the throttle bodies is knowing when the turbo is spooled even if your not using the boost. It does however add some heat to the intake air at that point so having good fuel in is a must if your going to cruise say at 90mph or higher but I cruise at 80 all the time but would never break the law and run at 90. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts