Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did my 5000 mile oil change yesterday. I had a surprise on the drain plug magnet. Or maybe surprises...

The magnet was covered with very very small slivers. The size of the slivers did not concern me (found a couple at 2000 miles), it was the amount that concerned me. I went to take pictures, but the digital camera was on a trip with my wife.

What is too much? Should I be concerned?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
That is normal in any engine, you should start seeing less and less as the oil changes progress. Only worry if you start seeing large pieces stuck on the plug. I was told by the harley techs that these engines usually take 5000 miles just to break in.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
The one "feature" of having the gears lubricated by the same oil the engine runs in. You would not be alarmed to see fuzz on the magnetic drain plug of a gearbox as with Sportsters and Big Twins which have seperate gear box lube. With our engines the oil is shared so the fuzz ends up with the engine oil.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
I kinda like finding those small slivers.... I know the magnet is doing it's job, and no big humnks makes me feel good, but if I didn't see any.... then I'd wonder...

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
my last oil change @ 20k still showed some...not a single problem with the bike and am now at 24k...

seems normal to me for a bike that shares crankcase oil with transmission oil. like said above, the little metal shivvers let me know the magnet is working :thumb:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the responses.

Makes me feel better now. Been hanging around helicopter mechs too much and they hate to find any metal.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
i'll be doing mine this weekend, if it makes you feel any better I will look at mine pretty good when i take it out and let you know what i find

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Have one of the mechs show you the magnetic plug on the 'copter's main tranny on any given day. Now THAT'S scary!!

·
141hp/91 Ft lbs tq!!
295 Posts
Coming up on 17k on my BB build, 30k on the rest of it. I'll let y'all know what I see when I change it in about 1k or winter shuts me down.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finally got to a HD mech today to show what I found......

He just laughed. Said he would have expected more.

"Normal, very normal."

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
I asked the local Hooker what was normal and she said anything as long as I pay!

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
Shed said:
I asked the local Hooker what was normal and she said anything as long as I pay!
she'd probably kick me in the nuts and steal my money after i told her what i wanted:moon:

·
Ride Free, Alex!!!
1,422 Posts
You're asking THIS group what's "normal"....?

:rofl: BwaaaaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :rofl:

Never been to our annual rally...have ya?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts