Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode in a funeral procession yesterday for a fallen friend, Some chick on a V-Rod rode up and I saw her radiator hose bulging like this! :eek:

Water pump not working properly? Blockage of some sort? Too much air in the system? As the bike cooled down the size of the bulge reduced but never went away completely. She told me it had done that since she owned the bike, which has been at least a year. I told her to get it to Harley ASAP because the last thing she needed was for that to burst while driving. Honestly, I'm not sure what the HELL is going on here.

What can cause this? :confused:

Phatass

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Coolant hoses usually do this from oil contamination.
The cooling system needs to be inspected and repaired as needed.
This does not have to go to a dealer.In fact,most mechanics in a Harley dealer do not know how a Revo's cooling system works.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
I get like that when a chick is ridding me. Same thing when I cool down it goes away. I think system checks normal.

·
Noel
4,613 Posts
Coolant hoses usually do this from oil contamination.
The cooling system needs to be inspected and repaired as needed.
This does not have to go to a dealer.In fact,most mechanics in a Harley dealer do not know how a Revo's cooling system works.
:them:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So far I have heard oil exposure, non-reenforced hose, incompatable anti freeze, exposure to Armorall to list some.

Phatass

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
To be seriuos ther is most likley a small pin home inside the hose. When heat and pressure build it allows coolant in and expands between the layers. This can be from age or at one ponit removale with a hose pick or even overtightening the clamp. I have seen this on cars. If she isnt forceing coolant out the over flow I wouldnt think extreme pressure ie blown head gasket. Anyway get the hose changed and all should be good.

Once hose is off cut in half and see if its split or real soft. Again I have seem hoses do this and yes it could be external cleaners like armor all or such. They will soften rubber. Sidebar some tire companys will not warrenty a tire if its been armor all'd or some goop on the sidewall even with a road hazzard.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
drain & flush cooling system, replace hose at same time, refill with spec. coolant, (which is a lifetime coolant) and enjoy the ride. Thanks to Dr_Dave, we now know that the "HD" coolant is actually Peak Global Lifetime 50/50 in a gold-colored bottle

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
What about a bad pop off valve or incorrect radiator cap?

Phatass
The pressure should be stamped on the cap. Not sure how many will fit the Vrod and if Harley cap is on it I dont think they have but one.
Normaly the cap will not raise pressure but not hold proper pressure. Thus lowering boiling point and allowing coolant to excape. They are chaep enough to replace while doing coolant service. If its only that hose I would say there is you problem. If all the hoses are swollen then you need to look else where. The reason a coolant system has pressure is only from expantion of fluid. There is no pressure pump like oil system. The water pump only moves fluid. The only other reason a system will increase pressure is a blown head gasket. Other than that it from expansion. An FYI for every pound the cap is it raises boiling point about 3 degrees F. So a 10 Lbs cap will not let water boil till aprox 240 degrees F. If more pressure is applied the cap will allow bleed off and fill the overflow container or puke it out of the system.

·
Grabbin' a Handfull
196 Posts
To be seriuos ther is most likley a small pin home inside the hose. When heat and pressure build it allows coolant in and expands between the layers. This can be from age or at one ponit removale with a hose pick or even overtightening the clamp. I have seen this on cars. If she isnt forceing coolant out the over flow I wouldnt think extreme pressure ie blown head gasket. Anyway get the hose changed and all should be good.
:them:

Saw this in an upper radiator hose in my last truck. After we got the hose swapped out we did some surgery to find out what happened, and there was coolant between the outer and inner layers on the hose.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Having changed literally hundreds of radiator hoses at my Dad's garage, I agree that it is a problem with the hose separating on the inside. As stated by several others, the coolant is getting between the various plies of the hose through a crack or tear on the inside of the hose. The next thing that will happen is for a small pin hole or tear to form on the outside and coolant under pressure will spray out. The hose should be replace immediately.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts