Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Seams a it much. I dont have much of a problem as long as I dry it afterwards.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Those filters work big time if you live in an area with high mineral content water (like I do). If I wash my car and let the water droplets dry on it I do get water stains.

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
That place is charging way too much for a sediment filter. I have well water. The one I use for my entire house, a Culligan HF-360 only cost about $25 locally. It looks identical to what their selling -- save for the garden hose connections. And the filters I use are about $2.75 each for the Culligan ones (5 micron filtering). I actually use generic filters when they go on sale for $1.50 each and stock up because they have the same 5u rating. The $1.50 ones I use look like the ones these guys are selling for $10 each. I only need to change these about once every 6-8 weeks with a 3 person household. I'd imagine on city water and only use for vehicle washing, these would last a LONG time. (Though you'll want to drain and dry them and/or cover them when not in use or they'd be full of algae very quickly.)

The softener system seems a bit high, but unless you want a whole house softener (about $500 and up) it might be worth a try.

·
INCONCEIVABLE!
1,529 Posts
and this is only 20 bucks

this is what I use on the bike. I wash it on really hot days and leave the bike in the sun for about 1/2 hour ... never bother with towel drying ... bike is always completely spot free.

It usually takes me less than 20 minutes to give the bike a really good cleaning ...

I lovethe Mr. Clean system, but I am having a hard time finding filters for the unit ... I buy them in bulk online and they last the whole summer

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
If you want to be a real freak about it you should be using distilled water only. No minerals or SALT!!!
Recommended by makers of really high end waxes such as Vintage'. $100 per ounce.

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
And this is no longer availble at my local Walmart.

And no refills for the filter.
My autozone still has refills, I love this thing.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
You can always wash it with whatever water you have then pour 3-4 gallons of distiller water on it from jugs as a rinse.

If I was going to spend money though, I buy an air compressor and blow all the water off of it. Problem solved and you have an air compressor then. (the air needs filtered too, air compressors blow a decent bit of oily crap without it)

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you live in an area without a water treatment plant it may be a an idea to consider. Water Treatment plants are usually looking to put out water with a rating of less than 0.30 NTU. You will not see anything in that water. Washing a vehicle to perfection without spots is not only dependant on clean water but, clean air too. Ask any automotive painter about outdoor paining and they will tell you dust is always present. That dust will also affect your wash results. Wash you bike then use an air compressor and nozzle to dry it off:moped:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
If you live in an area without a water treatment plant it may be a an idea to consider. Water Treatment plants are usually looking to put out water with a rating of less than 0.30 NTU. You will not see anything in that water.
except chlorine and other TDS (total dissolved solids) which contribute greatly to water spots.
Keep in mind that when turbidity is tested by a treatment plant, it is done so at the source and not after it travels through miles of metal or clay pipe to get to your home. The process of traveling those distances in less than sterile pipes is where much of the TDS are picked up. In addition, due to the non sterile nature of those pipes the treatment plants bump up the chlorine levels to compensate.

I don't bother with filtered water when I wash the bike as I always dry and or wax it after a wash anyway. More times than not I will use the leaf blower with an old clean sock over the nozzle to blow the bulk of the water off the bike, then follow up w/micro fiber cloth. If you want to wash, rinse, and air dry, you need to use some type of filter on your hose. Go to a swimming pool supply store or RV supply store and you will find many options that screw on to you hose and won't break the bank.
After using one of those hose filters, just blow out as much water from the filter as you can, then place in the fridge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts