Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little guidance on breakin procedure for an '06 VRSCR Street Rod. I bought one a couple of weeks ago off the showroom floor and she had 157 miles on her.

Dealer had no owner's manual and no keys. He ordered 2 keys and they are in so will pick up this weekend.

What are the first 1000 mile limitations for breakin?

Also read here where the '06 R tends to use oil and needs to be checked at every fuel fillup. Since I have no bags or way to carry oil on the bike what did you '06 owners do to have oil for adding while out riding?

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
:vrodforu:
Keep a close eye on the oil level, but I doubt if you really need to check it every tankful (100 miles). Just check it and add any when you get home or every 300 miles. It will stop using oil around 8000 miles or so.

Some say, "Ride it like you stole it" for break-in. Others say that it doesn't matter so much and you should just vary your speed frequently for the first 1000 miles or so as you would with any other vehicle. I tend to believe the latter, but I've only had one V-Rod and I bought it with 4600 on the clock. Read up all that you can if it worries you.

·
Hi... I'm Big Will
1,087 Posts
Considering how long it's been sitting I would change the oil and fill it up with fresh gas right away.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You will read many different opinions on this all over the web and for every type of vehicle. My opinion on break in is don't baby it, the only thing that I avoid are prolonged steady RPM runs for the first 500 miles.
I always run it up hard and then let off a few times every time out as well for the rings. It may not do anything but I never had any break-in related issues over the years.

Have fun:cheers:

·
Registered
37 Posts
The window for a quick seating of the rings has been lost.
On your next new engine,use this procedure. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Thanks fr posting that. Good article. I just put new piston rings in a nightster ( that I am selling to buy a DX), and was wondering if there is any difference in breakin strategy that I should pass on to the new owners. I think I'll hammer out the first 20 miles and then let them have their way with it after reading moto man's advice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
:vrodforu:
Keep a close eye on the oil level, but I doubt if you really need to check it every tankful (100 miles). Just check it and add any when you get home or every 300 miles. It will stop using oil around 8000 miles or so.

Some say, "Ride it like you stole it" for break-in. Others say that it doesn't matter so much and you should just vary your speed frequently for the first 1000 miles or so as you would with any other vehicle. I tend to believe the latter, but I've only had one V-Rod and I bought it with 4600 on the clock. Read up all that you can if it worries you.
Just dont rev it hard thru all the gears and follow the advice aboveat the end of the post . Dont be overly kind to it but dont be trying to hit 130 mph within 24 hours . Brilliant bike you will have loads of smiles on your face very soon.

Enjoy

Moto

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thanks fr posting that. Good article. I just put new piston rings in a nightster ( that I am selling to buy a DX), and was wondering if there is any difference in breakin strategy that I should pass on to the new owners. I think I'll hammer out the first 20 miles and then let them have their way with it after reading moto man's advice.
That article is how it's supposed to be done.Somewhere through all the different interpretations,people have made this to be,ride it like you stole it.Operating an engine like it was stolen is no good for any engine.If a person followed that guys advice,there would be less complaints of oil consumption.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks. Even though I am selling the bike to some people who will get the bike straight from dealer after work is done, I would like to set them up on the right track, and I will likely be riding the first 20 miles as neither of them yet ride. They bought the bike without seeing it or knowing how to ride yet. Craziness. But good or me as I am ready to upgrade to night rod, hence my stalking the forum here.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Thanks. Even though I am selling the bike to some people who will get the bike straight from dealer after work is done, I would like to set them up on the right track, and I will likely be riding the first 20 miles as neither of them yet ride. They bought the bike without seeing it or knowing how to ride yet. Craziness. But good or me as I am ready to upgrade to night rod, hence my stalking the forum here.

Stalk all you want and add when you can.This is what the forum was made for.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts