Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's not really a bad question. When I'm color sanding black I finish sanding with a 3000grit DA pad and it looks just like a good flat black paint job.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
gonna say the same thing abi.. only i am not good enough to use a DA.. usually by hand with 2000..

·
F*@kTard
7,946 Posts
When you do it by hand remember to dry your hands off occasionally to check if you have worn through your skin and are bleeding all over...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
That's not really a bad question. When I'm color sanding black I finish sanding with a 3000grit DA pad and it looks just like a good flat black paint job.
0000 steel wool - but why not just rattle can it, flat black is very easy to do.

·
MODOHOLIC ANONYMOUS
7,448 Posts
wet sand and do it by hand.. dry it off on a reg basis to see how much you've taken off.. worse case is that you burn through down to the primer.. 3000 grit by hand won't cut very hard.. you should be fine.. just make sure to sand with your hand and not your fingers.. or use a softer foam sanding block to conform to the shape

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Sorry thought you were joking about sanding. How about posting for a swap for a flat paint set here in the classifieds? Im sure someone would trade you. I would start with the front fender or side vents first if your going to attempt to wetsand to a matt finish.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It will take a ton of sanding with 3000 grit to go through your paint, especially if you're doing it by hand. And if you don't like it polishing it back will be easy if you've only used 3000. If you've got any other painted scrap parts laying around practice on that first.

·
Powdercoat Maniac
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry thought you were joking about sanding. How about posting for a swap for a flat paint set here in the classifieds? Im sure someone would trade you. I would start with the front fender or side vents first if your going to attempt to wetsand to a matt finish.
it's all fine, have some crazy ideas sometime.
when my gloss tins will be dull or really scuff i might give it a try.:D
don't think somebody would trade .
i think rattle can does not make a nice perfect job and wear out fast

1 - 14 of 14 Posts