Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used the search function and of course I cannot find what I am looking for so,

I have my front forks off the bike for a rebuild and while I have them off I have decided that I might as well pull the steering apart and check out the steering head bearings and re-grease them.
Now my question is,
What type of grease is being used to grease they steering head bearings ??
Is anyone buying grease from a local auto parts store or is everyone buying the HD stuff ?

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, well, the grease that HD has been using does not seem to keep most of the bearings in very good shape around here, so I am a little leary about using there stuff on them. I am sure that there is better grease available out there and that someone here has used it.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
I would think that a good syn. grease will be good. Cant think of anything that it wouldnt be? Or you could use normal grease/wheel bearing type stuff. Just my .02

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering if lithium grease would be good to use, ANYBODY ???

·
Ron Cooper
1,809 Posts
+2 on the marine grade grease you don't want your neck grease running out when you wash or bike or get caught in the rain.

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanx all for your suggestions. I found some synthetic grease today and will be looking into those steering head bearings in the next day or so.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Good Luck :)

·
Tie One On
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the steering head today and the bearings and cups looked great , But the bearings , both top and bottom had almost no (zero) grease so I am really glad I did pull them .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts