Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find myself gravitating towards sport bike type gear as it has more protective features. Cruiser type gear all seems to be thick leather at best, no CE rated armor etc.

Currently I have:

Dainese Mugello leather jacket(CE armored back, shoulders & elbows/forearms) perforated all black leather, titanium external shoulder sliders

Rev'It cayenne pro gloves(hard slider on palms, side sliders, hard knuckles) perforated reflectors on pinky

Arai RX-Q full face helmet with reflective and clear shields(dot & snell)

Icon regulator leather vest with back protector

Schott leather jacket super thick leather, no armor

eBay chaps(plan to get pants)

Harley Fury Boots

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If its real hot its t shirt and shorts for me :moped:
We see many100* + days during the summer here, I've never been that dressed down. I've been down one time at 10 or less mph, it hurt like hell and lead to rad rash. I was in shorts and shirt and full face helmet. Since then I wear more gear.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,129 Posts
Full-face helmet, either armored leather or armored mesh jacket, armored gloves, leather above the ankle boots. Leather chaps if it's long-range or cold out.

I used to wear a half-lid around town, but as I get older, I like the idea of a full-face better.

I need to get a few pairs of Kevlar jeans, but haven't found any I like yet.

R.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a Joe Rocket (I think it's called the Altered Ego) armored jacket that is multi-layered and can strip down to a mesh jacket with armor. The mesh is really cool and the silver mesh actually helps reflect heat. Nice in the summer ... and then you can put the outer shell on when the weather gets colder. For late season riding there is a zip in fleece liner too which really helps your core temperature.

I like that I can configure it for different riding conditions.

I have a RiverRoad cruiser style jacket that's really good for those in between chilly and warm days ... comfy, armored, and sort of short tail design.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,458 Posts
I find myself riding in 5th gear as often as possible.

·
Back in Black
2,569 Posts
with the 26 tooth i try to ride in sixth gear then realize i don't have one.
My ride detects what i wear. In poker runs i wear boots jeans t shirt. If going to dragon I waer full helmet and leathers. If going to work I wear a mesh jacket full helmet. It may sound stupid but if i wear helmet I go all out full shoei.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses guys, whether joking around or not at least you're contributing :)

Have any of you guys seen a riding gear company that makes traditional looking riding gear with CE rated armor? I haven't found any so far, that's why I've accumulated "sport bike" type riding gear.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
Pants, boots and T Shirts or leather jacket depending on weather.
Wear 1/2- 3/4 and full face dependent upon where I am going and the weather
conditions. Never ever wore shorts...

·
EXCELSIOR
8,367 Posts
At 60 years of age and over 40 years riding time all my current gear is synthetic. It's light weight yet tough, armored, the summer gear is breathable, the winter gear is warm and dry.

Only leather I still wear are boots, leather uppers, either hikers or some Sidi Canyon boots for winter.

Full face helmet always, I have 4 Bell Stars, one daily runner, one with my com system and 2 back up in case something happens to the other two, God forbid.

Just bought a new Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion to replace my 10 year old Phoenix 4.0 as the rubber armor began to fall apart. I pull armor out and run jacket through the washing machine twice a year to remove road grime, bugs and collar sweat. Can't do that with leather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At 60 years of age and over 40 years riding time all my current gear is synthetic. It's light weight yet tough, armored, the summer gear is breathable, the winter gear is warm and dry.

Only leather I still wear are boots, leather uppers, either hikers or some Sidi Canyon boots for winter.

Full face helmet always, I have 4 Bell Stars, one daily runner, one with my com system and 2 back up in case something happens to the other two, God forbid.

Just bought a new Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion to replace my 10 year old Phoenix 4.0 as the rubber armor began to fall apart. I pull armor out and run jacket through the washing machine twice a year to remove road grime, bugs and collar sweat. Can't do that with leather.
From what I've read and talked to people about it seems that textile/mesh/corduroy gear is nearly as protective as leather, it just can't be reused if it was involved in a crash. Leather in a lot of circumstances can be reused no problem. Would you agree with that for the most part?

·
2012 NRS Vivid Black
663 Posts
5th mostly............

·
Premium Member
10,796 Posts
Stiched up. Darien Jacket. AD1 pants. TCX boots, Shoei modular helmet (neotech). Either elk riding gloves, or Kevlar gloves. ATGATT. If cold, electric liners. If hot, coolvest underneath. Camelback for water. Should hit 35k miles this year (running to PHX Saturday) and a couple more toy runs. On track. No KC this year, cut 5 K off. Ride everyday, so I guess I'm used to it. Sometimes, I do skip the riding pants, and wear jeans. Reinforced jeans. Local trips. Work, errands. Modern riding gear is great stuff. Kevlar, armor, ballistic nylon, goretex. Works for me!

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
It's always a hard decision between the sandals or crocs, socks or no socks.
Sometimes bright white, cheap, "Payless" tennis shoes.
Shorts always, bright, colorful, designer shorts, and commando too, but with socks pulled up to the knees.
Depending on weather, Hawaiian shirts or official, sleeveless, HD ware, or maybe an SOA polo shirt.
Ray-Bans are a must.
A doo-rag if the hair is messed up.

Always, always, always with a full face helmet though! Safety first! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts