Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to the site here and just picked up a 2008 night rod special. I absolutely love the bike and the batmobile look it has, just hate the exhaust. I am looking for something that will boost my power as well as give it an awesome "Harley" sound. Looking at doing the Vance and Hines Outlaw Indy like my neighbor has up the street and it sounds awesome. I was able to take his bike out and it was a big difference between my stock pipes and his with the power commander, K&N filter, and Indy. Is there a better setup for the money and performance that I may want to look at? thanks for any input.

John

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sounds like you already made the right decision. For that bike, get the black version, and make sure you follow the directions - especially when it comes to baking it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Depends...do you mind if the pipes drag during hard corning? Don't have the pipes personally. Decided against them because I've read they sit pretty low. Love the look and the sound though.

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
look, sound and performance are great with them, but they drag terribly on a turn. i'm looking into switching to a bub 7 2 into 1 just because i'm sick of dragging that pipe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I need to talk to my neighbor on that one. I do have a daytona as my other bike and I love to corner hard. I guess I can learn to live with it but I wonder if there is something that sounds just as good but sits a little higher. Love the look and sound of this pipe however.

·
Registered
422 Posts
look, sound and performance are great with them, but they drag terribly on a turn. i'm looking into switching to a bub 7 2 into 1 just because i'm sick of dragging that pipe.
That is why I went with the Rinehart 2-1 which is basically the Bub 7 without the slash cut. Loud as a mother...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I picked up some tabs that sounded great on an other Vrod I saw..
I have the pipes and high flow filter, but have not put them on yet.. waiting on dyno time and money.

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Wasn't looking for loud myself.

Ordered the V&H Widow slipons, as I like the styling of the factory pipes, don't want to be obnoxiously loud - just flow better and be somewhat louder.

Also have a K&N, Power Commander with Auto Tune on the way in.

Now if I can just get 500 miles on & dump the oil :kiss:

Rick

·
Registered Idiot
5,461 Posts
CFR 2-1 slip on if you want to go a little cheaper, comes in black with or with out the baffle.
Poke around on the site and you will find revies of pipes and even used ones for sale in the classifieds, someone has a black Indy posted there now.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Rinehart with some insulation .Has the nice look and sound .You have the top end loud sound .But at low RPM it is reasonable for loudness.

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
get the new version of the indy...it has a bracket & sits higher, i don't scrape as much as i use to. great sounding & in my opinion, the best looking for the dx. i have a video of me doing rolling burnouts & wheelies, i'll post it up, you can get an idea of how it sounds w.o.t.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My competition does not drag, check my images, and I do drive it hard. Maybe not sideways, but pretty good leans, zero drag.

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts
Rinehart with some insulation .Has the nice look and sound .You have the top end loud sound .But at low RPM it is reasonable for loudness.
Agree. I stuffed mine with Kiln insulation and it cut the raspiness down considerably. Now the guys I ride with let me lead on long rides. Before I was the cleanup guy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cycorod, thanks for the video. that does sound awesome. I like all the lighting you have on it. What parts did you need to complete your exhaust and how much was it total?(pipe, fueler, filter?) Did you get the parts at a local shop?

·
Banned
4,421 Posts
i bought mine a couple yrs. back, i think i paid 600 for the pipe then 50+ for k/n & i have the SERT, forgot what i paid through the dealer for the SERT. I'LL TRY TO FIND THE RECEIPT. i blew my baffle out the back so the day i left for laconia bike week my new baffle was waiting for me. i attempted to install, it was the wrong one. arrived in laconia went to the V/H tent, the tech told me it was the correct one, they revised the baffle, so with a shitter on @ apprx.1:30am i tried to install it & of course it didn't fit so the next day full of piss & vinegar, i went back to V/H boyz. they shocked me, they gave me a new baffle & new updated version of the indy w/ bracket system & installed it for freeeeeee. so with the new version & bracket the pipe rides a little higher & i do not scrape as much, hardly at all. so go get your INDY man. oh yea, i sent my pipes out to JET-HOT for black ceramic coating which cost apprx. $270.00 . let us know what you decide, take care.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts