Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know you may not understand but my dog doesn't like the sound of my Rinehart exhaust.
It's not too "Harleyish" anyway but she runs out of the garage and hides every time I start it up.

I'm new to the forum. I just took control of a pretty nice looking 2002 V-Rod. This is my 5th HD and of course I have some things that I think I'd like to change. One being the exhaust. What I want is a set of Vance and Hines big radius chrome pipes but when I went to their web site they said they don't make them for the 2002. Did they in the old days??? So I was thinking maybe I could find an old set and cut them up to fit on my header pipes and there I'd be. What do you think?

The other question is what would it take to quiet the Rinehart pipe down? How would you do it?
I know how to do a little mechanical work and I like to tinker so what do you think? Should I take the baffle out and repack it? Thinking of that - Are the Rinehart pipes still being made and by who? Maybe they have a packing kit that I could use.

So that's it. Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know you may not understand but my dog doesn't like the sound of my Rinehart exhaust.
It's not too "Harleyish" anyway but she runs out of the garage and hides every time I start it up.

I'm new to the forum. I just took control of a pretty nice looking 2002 V-Rod. This is my 5th HD and of course I have some things that I think I'd like to change. One being the exhaust. What I want is a set of Vance and Hines big radius chrome pipes but when I went to their web site they said they don't make them for the 2002. Did they in the old days??? So I was thinking maybe I could find an old set and cut them up to fit on my header pipes and there I'd be. What do you think?

The other question is what would it take to quiet the Rinehart pipe down? How would you do it?
I know how to do a little mechanical work and I like to tinker so what do you think? Should I take the baffle out and repack it? Thinking of that - Are the Rinehart pipes still being made and by who? Maybe they have a packing kit that I could use.

So that's it. Any ideas?

Thanks.
All the fitments of pipe to cylinder head are the same regardless of year or model, so they probably will fit. The differences in nearly all the different exhausts is in the rear mounting, so as long as you don't mind a little bit of modifying or fabricating a bracket then you should be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Coastrider
I kind of thought that also but I will underline the "probably" in your comment.
What do you think of repacking my Rinehart exhaust? What would you use or would you go back to the mfg. and buy what ever they use?
Thanks again.

·
Asatruar
2,945 Posts
Keep the Rinehart . Forget the straight pipes.

You're never going to get a vrod to sound like an air- cooled Harley. 60 degree vtwin v/s the airhead's 45 degree is the reason for that .

Trust me ,my VRSCR is my 7th H-D since 1974, it's a whole 'nuther type of animal.

I was riding H-D before it was considered "respectable".

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Thanks Coastrider
I kind of thought that also but I will underline the "probably" in your comment.
What do you think of repacking my Rinehart exhaust? What would you use or would you go back to the mfg. and buy what ever they use?
Thanks again.
"Probably" shouldn't be there, they will fit the heads, but I agree with HD-Heathen if it's the typical Harley sound you are after don't waste your money. You won't get it. If as you say you are mechanically minded then have a play around with the baffles. There is plenty of stuff around to pack them with(even on ebay) so experiment. You can do a lot of experimenting for a fraction of the cost of an exhaust.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys. Well I got the packing from ebay and pulled the Rinehart off. The baffle doesn't come out because it's welled in the other end. Also there wasn't any packing in around the baffle either. So I packed it as full as I could and put everything back together and started it up. No difference at all. Just as sharp and load as with out the packing.

So I got the Mothers chrome cleaner and a couple of rags and started polishing.

I'm thinking...

·
liquid smooth
321 Posts
You can use exhaust for other years of v-rods. As coastrider said it’s the rear mounting that’s different. The exhaust I have on my 2012 VRSCF is for a 2007-2010 vrscaw. All I did was order the vrscaw rear exhaust mounting bracket and it worked out just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The key to lowering the tone or frequency from the REVO is to take the packing material and just not pound it in the pipe tight. It has the be packed in a medium packed manner where there is enough looseness in it to allow exhaust pressure & sound waves to enter and be absorbed by the packing. An overly tightly packed pipe is effectively the same as an empty pipe with no packing in it as it allows little or no sound to be absorbed - My Bub 7 pipe was almost exactly like the Rinehart - I packed it with SS wool properly & it was still just too ear shattering due to being a too short 2 1/2" straight thru louvered baffle so I grafted on a 4" diameter Stainless Steel BMW car resonator ( basically a fancy exhaust perforated packed tip that's got a carbon fiber sleeve slid over the metal ) with a 3 1/2" outlet that not only looks cool but it allows the gasses to expand & lower the frequency plus it puts the exit point right at the rear axle - barks at low speed, quieter nice tone while cruising. But too many mod man hours - to speed things if I did it again up I'd just buy a Bassani 2 -1 B2 pipe & long muffler assy. and be done with it - looks great, sounds great. If you want a lower exhaust frequency sounding more like a long stroke H-D and a straight thru pipe for performance it's gotta be long IMHO. Or you can just install an ugly automotive type baffled muffler with internal noise cancellation like a Buell - but it will look like :poop:. Stay Safe & Ride Safe !

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
You could also install a V & H " Pro pipe " muffler for the big twins - it steps up in diameter as it goes back and is good & long - if I find a used one I'm going to buy it & try that out to see what it looks & sounds like - lots of H-D dealers have a used muffler blow out garage sale once a year or so where you can find one or something similar cheap. ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Something to think about.
Mean time, I'm still polishing.
Gotta do somethin tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts