Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a conversation this afternoon with a fellow who is 50, started riding a minibike at 7, went to dirt bikes at 10 and has been riding motorcycles on the street since 15. He watches the Ride Like A Pro videos periodically just to keep good thoughts in his head. He even takes the MSF course every few years just to keep in tune. When he's out on the road he'll even practice skills just to see how good he can get.

You have to love a guy like that willing to learn!:notworth:

Head turn and control braking with the back brake are my two big things lately.

·
Carbon Yeti
4,598 Posts
Ride daily, practice in safe areas, take courses and push dirt bikes beyond my comfort level.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
Take an advanced course every 2 years.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Visualize! I've done at least 20k this past 18 months since my job started interfering with real life (i.e., riding). It sounds (is) stupid and lame, but I have a bunch of pics all around my apt in DC of roads we have travelled and they remind to practise, even if I'm not riding. The research lit shows visualization actually works for skills maintenance, and it kind of makes me feel a little better sometimes, but it's also alot like that package UPS wouldn't deliver to vrodcustoms from Ty last year (you know, the buzzing one).

I visualize skiing, too, which is an absolute necessity when your local mountain has 400 vertical feet which equates to only 2 turns on the way down...

Sorry, Lil, this is one of those nights when I'm seriously rethinking everything in my life - quitting my job, leaving PA and finally moving back West with or without my hubby or any remaining kids here... Pls remind me that I just have 2 more years of this kids in college crap and I can GET THROUGH IT, ok?

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Val,
This is not the first time someone took a little liberty with a post and YOU have certainly earned the right!
Your point about visualization is outstanding. If only more of us would learn about it early in life. I am not aware of a study which shows that visualization does not add anything to skill level or hurts. Everything I've seen shows it only helps, (I'll bet even when contending with profound life issues :) ). That is why the RLAP videos/dvds are so valuable. They provide a great image to recall and place one's self within.

·
Dark Knight
1,505 Posts
When I had my CBR, I attended a race school at Grattan Speedway. After running on a road course with sharp/tight turns at max speed, it made visualizing everything ahead of me much easier. I pay attention to everything with much more detail as I ride. I'm always looking 12 seconds ahead of me.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Ride dirt bikes regularly. I know I should take the safety course, but I really hate to spend the whole weekend doing this. If only it was just one day instead of two. Excuses, excuses.

I did buy the book "Proficient Motorcycle Riding" (I think this is the name of the book) and read it once. Guess it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick it up every now and then.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Just ride in rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon. You get plenty of braking and swerving practice and using your horn becomes second nature!!

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
metallica0099 said:
Just ride in rush hour traffic in the morning and afternoon. You get plenty of braking and swerving practice and using your horn becomes second nature!!

+1, the mean streets of the big city will hone your skills.....

....and like the young Napoleon Dynamite said "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
Johnny HotFoot said:
+1, the mean streets of the big city will hone your skills.....

....and like the young Napoleon Dynamite said "Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."
Like Bow-staff skills???

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
metallica0099 said:
It was during the rush hour traffic when I got whacked last October by a lady driving and talking on her cell phone at the same time.

Now, I only ride early in the morning or late in the evening and into the wee hours of the night.

·
Ted
1,632 Posts
Val said:
Visualize!

I visualize skiing, too, which is an absolute necessity when your local mountain has 400 vertical feet which equates to only 2 turns on the way down...

Sorry, Lil, this is one of those nights when I'm seriously rethinking everything in my life - quitting my job, leaving PA and finally moving back West with or without my hubby or any remaining kids here... Pls remind me that I just have 2 more years of this kids in college crap and I can GET THROUGH IT, ok?
Yes on visualize. I can already see a 10 ft snow base by November and cutting fresh tracks in waist deep powder. This also applies to riding and visualizing many different riding techniques (and trips) in my head. I tend to have this visualize thing happen much more frequently just before the ski season and the riding season.

2.5 years for me and I can do anything I want at anytime. I doubt this makes you feel any better....sorry.

·
Sua Sponte
1,560 Posts
ihringert said:
Yes on visualize. I can already see a 10 ft snow base by November and cutting fresh tracks in waist deep powder. This also applies to riding and visualizing many different riding techniques (and trips) in my head. I tend to have this visualize thing happen much more frequently just before the ski season and the riding season.

2.5 years for me and I can do anything I want at anytime. I doubt this makes you feel any better....sorry.
Yeah, yeah, live it up. You'll probably be dead by the time I can do that so there's a little twist on that. Ha ha, just kidding.

·
Orange,Black,Chrome!
1,220 Posts
synseer said:
Staying alive in DC traffic is practice enough!
:them:

Commuting into DC each day keeps my skills pretty sharp too.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
I'm always working on something...

Right now I'm trying to train my hand about the typical Harley front / rear brake effort by just using the front where possible, and I'm trying to teach myself to touch in the pegs lightly at will (instead of hard, by accident).

Finally, I'm trying to consciously leave larger gaps to the vehicle in front.

After every ride I always mentally debrief myself to see if I could have gone any faster or if I took any worthless risks.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Riding the Dragon (mountains of N.C.) will hone anyones skills. There will be a V-Rod gathering in the end of October if any V-Rodders are interested in taming the Dragon.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Is it safe to gather, based upon the negligible number of responses to the question originally posed, that we tend not to do much to keep or skills fresh?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Is it safe to gather, based upon the negligible number of responses to the question originally posed, that we tend not to do much to keep or skills fresh?
I was hoping for some good ideas from everyone else, since I am still a fairly new rider and I am trying to hone all my skills. I did take the MSF class this spring, and have considered retaking it now that I am riding because I think the skills that are done in the class would make even more sense now. I have looked for another class between that one and the Advanced, but I haven't seen one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts