Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1333 Posts

·
I love my V!!!
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, since it's my thread I'll start first.

I am in a family business that wholesales rugs and carpets to retailers. We have been around for 25 years. I have been here the last 15 out of college. I am the 'technology guru' (I am sure some of you guys could run rings around me) responsible for systems and operations for all 250 employees.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I'm currently a Principle Architect for Management Systems with a telecom company called Avaya ;)

I'd really rather be in the motorcycle, auto or marine business but I haven't come up with that killer idea yet.........

·
Registered
172 Posts
Am I the only one here that works for someone else? I work for Blue Cross of Oklahoma making sure that nobody breaks any Laws when they sell insurance, kind of a cop for the guys in marketing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
djoyce, I'm just a working stiff myself. I currently work for Ewing Buick GMC, Mercedes in Plano Texas. I have a total of 25 years with GM not including a couple of years that I opened my own shop. A couple of the members here on the forum have come into the dealership so they know me first hand.

Max

·
Registered
33 Posts
I started & own an RC car manufacturing company. In 4 years from nothing (no startup capital, just one warm body & an idea) to one of the best, now to grow it to be the biggest.

I work 100+ hrs a week, on a slow week. Can’t remember the last vacation, in fact I have a hard time placing the last day off.

My accountant swears that in a few more years I’ll actually get a paycheck.

Started off as a farm boy.

Turned into a greasemonkey & wrench.

At 25 I went to engineering school & worked full time in a variety of positions from wrenching to engineering. At 30 I got my BS.

Spent some time in Mexico & China running multi million buck heavy equip operations.

I've built houses and installed kitchens.
Mowed lawns & run a landscape crew.
Even been a waiter & a cook. (not my favorite)
I’ve been a engineering consultant.

There’s a lot of jobs I haven’t done, and even more I can’t remember that I have.

I’ll be 38 soon and I think I’ve finally found my niche in life. I’m a creator, always have been. Creators are like artists, unless they whore themselves out and bring creations to market and sell them they don’t get to be creators very long; or need a sugardaddy to pay the bills.
I make every mistake in the book, but somehow manage to run my company in the black and stay ahead of the axe man.

This spring I was really burned out, one of my friends in TX told me he was buying a Deuce, and got me revved back up on the V-Rod (I’d drooled over one a year ago.) Long story short, I got mine and he bought a new Vette. He's currently banging 2 different 20 yr old strippers and his fu(k buddy is another one w/ huge boobs. I occationally see the girl who gave me the ring back because she said I work too hard.
Maybe I should have bought a 'Vette

The V has been great, it’s a real joy to get the wind in my face and blur the company with the treeline – not to say that brain isn’t still busy, but it’s not quite so stressed.

oh, and I spend way too much time on the internet

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
VP-Engineering for an aircraft modification company.

I started out with the owners of this business when I was in Junior High. Out at the airport one day with my dad and asked the old man when he was going to finish the Mercedes replicar he was working on. He said when you gonna come work for me and do it yourself.

I started the next day. The company had 3 employees and that included the owner and his son. We have grown to be the largest privately owned aircraft modification company in the world. We average around 60 to 100 employees and primarily work on Cessna Citation business jets. From performance modifications to complete crash rebuilds.

This particular bike, the V-Rod, was given to me by the company for a job well done on our last major performance modification in which I was in charge of the design and certification.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Work at the railroad

I work at Union Pacific Railroad(also owns Overnite trucking). I am a journeyman Carman . That is a full apprenticeship with over 2,800 hours served to reach journeyman status. I can inspect, and repair railcars. This title carries me to any other railroad and places me at top carman wages . It is a Union Job and strongly proud to be part of it.

I am now a certified Operation Lifesaver presenter for the State of WI. That takes up about 15% of my daily job. :D

On a seperate note, trains deliver goods.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
I work for Freightliner Corp [truck manufacting plant]and have now for almost 20yrs. We build class 5-6 trucks, delivery, tow, ambulance, roll backs, ect. I've been all over the plant, from installing engines,building dashes to putting tires on. Hopefuly if we can improve our retirement package I can get out of here in 10 yrs. Oh ya UAW !!!!!!

Greg

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I am Chief Engineer for a supplier of air distribution components in the commerecial construction industry. I started as an AF Navigator after College ('67), spent a couple of years training Nav's to go to VietNam in C-130's, (and bought a '67 BSA Spitfire)and finally volunteered for the AC-130 and spent a year over the trails of Laos at night.
After a couple more years training others to do the same, I bailed on the AF and joined a rock 'n roll band in Ohio. Met the future wife and looked for a 'real' job, wound up in the commercial construction industry, mostly in research & development.
On the side I have been in Country, Rock, Jug and Folk groups, playing guitar, pedal steel, and generally creating a nuisance of myself, musically.
Spent a couple years working in a chopper shop back in '71-'72, in Ft Walton Bch Fla. and have been playing with bikes since.
Finally got the kids married off, (the cost of your daughter's wedding can be measured in "Harleys"), and sprang for the V-Rod last March. It is finally being repaired after the incident on the "Dragon", and I expect to get it back Next Monday.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
US Army Promotable Captain.

Been in service for 12 years. Was enlisted as an Infantryman, made E-5. Went to Officer's Candidate School, and was commissioned as an Armor (read Tanks!!! 120mm on the money, Honey!) officer. Worked in the Modern Day Cavalry for 3 years in Germany (Scouting for the now famous 3d Infantry Division!)

The Army, I guess, decided that I caused too much damage to my Steel Horses, so they forced me into a new job. I am now a Maintenance and Ammunition Manager (Ordnance Corps). I commanded 330 solders(directly under my command) in 3d Armored Cavalry Regiment and was responsible for $33.6 million of YOUR tax dollars! I have been a war-fighter Observer/ Controller at the National Training Center in Ft Irwin, CA. And am now a Primary skills instructor at the Officers Advanced Course, where I instruct other Jr. Captains how to do their jobs!
Hopefully deploying to Afghanistan in November to do my part to rid this world of scum-bag terrorists and bring peace to that region.:diablo:

Scout

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I work at Master Metal Emgineering.We specialize in making medical instruments for the Stryker corp.
What I do there is program, set up,run,and troubleshoot CNC lathes.I have been there for 11+yrs.I have been there since I was 20 yrs young.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
vrodvinny said:
I work at Master Metal Emgineering.We specialize in making medical instruments for the Stryker corp.
What I do there is program, set up,run,and troubleshoot CNC lathes.I have been there for 11+yrs.I have been there since I was 20 yrs young.
Stryker corp...........same company that makes the stretchers?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
YEP! but we don't make anything for them.We primarilily make parts that go into the Surgical instruments.We make parts for that cast cutter,the one that just about every Dr. in the world.
I run all my parts on the mean of the tolerances,just for the simple fact that there is an 80% chance that I may do under the knife someday.So the next time you see Styker products in a operating room.I may have made pcs for that instr.
It is cool knowing what you are making and to see the final product.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Stryker makes a damn good stretcher. I have used them many times and have been the patient on one recently.

I also have had the honor of having my cast cut of by a stryker tool.

See we almost know each other! :D

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
My family calls me the Safety Nazi. I'm a psychologist, have had my own small consulting/research firm for 12 years now, and work mostly in the nuclear industry and mostly for the regulators. Have also done some things in aerospace and the chemical industry. Most of what I do seems to be writing - regulations, books, papers, reports that gather dust on somebody's bookshelf. My favorite part of the work is doing big industrial accident and "event" investigations (they don't have accidents in nuclear power), which get me away from the computer and sometimes even improve things so more people don't get killed, injured or overexposed.

Eeek -- I've also raised 5 kids (2 still at home). And I'm on ski patrol at our little local area. There are 6 bikers on the patrol of about 30 people. No Stryker stretchers, tho.

:)

Val

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was born and raised in South Africa where there aren't many repair facilities. You had to fix things yourself or go without. Been working on bikes,cars,4x4's,boats etc. more as a hobby than a business.Owned and ran an insurance brokerage as a career, then relocated to Texas in 1994. Started a construction company building custom homes and worked on harleys,again as a hobby, until I blew my knee out. So started Wicked Custom Cycles where I work on harleys and build wicked customs. Latest is a single sided swingarm war eagle frame with a 124cu s&s......
Derek

1 - 20 of 1333 Posts