Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

7861 - 7880 of 7930 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I go with mobil1 v-twin synth- IMHO comparable to amsoil, I added very little if any in the 3
riding seasons with my D, or about 1400 miles/yr - ya, I'm a local sport rider, not a long haul cruiser! lol

·
Registered
259 Posts
Front Brakes -

Pulled Front Calipers - Cleaned them up. Put a little oil on the piston bases
1 piston stuck. Put wood shim in other caliper, and worked the lever got the stuck one loose. Installed new Pads.
Went to put in "speed Bleeders" but they did not fit. #$%^&&*
Got a some air in the line with that fail...

Bleed/Flushed a bunch of BelRay dot 4 through both calipers. Jiggled the
brake lever a ton and slowly got air out.
Pinned the Brake lever back and left it right handle pointed up for a couple hours - Heard that helps a few more trapped air bubbles come up to reservoir...?
Took out and broke in pads. Pretty Smooth
* Mines a D so I bent the Rear Brake Lever down, much better control on it now
so using both brakes together works nice.
*Oberon Brake/Clutch Levers are pretty fine controllers and worth the money IMHO.

EBC Semi Sintered Brake Pads
BelRay Dot 4 : 355ml bottle is enough to do Clutch-and both brakes unless maybe you are going to flush a ton extra through.

In 2 years I'm going to Steel lines up front.

·
Registered
81 Posts
None of this was done "today," but has been done over the course of the last couple weeks.

1. Made radiator insert screens (the pic was actually of my Guardian Bell, but you can see the screen in the background) 20190713_163544_1564189461842.jpg
2. Installed the fender eliminator kit from Altered Designs (Thanks, Keith!). There was one on there already, but it was just turn signals. I wanted a kit that did running lights, brake light, and turns.
3. Moved the license plate to the side with an axle mount bracket and added LED light bolts. IMG_20190719_223822-01_1564189500451.jpg
4. Installed front LED switchback turn signals. As running lights, they are a very bright white halo. But when the turn signal is activated, they the white halo turns off, and the inside of the signal flashes amber. They are crazy bright!! I included a pic of the actual bulbs, purchased from NThreeAuto on Amazon. 20190726_200719_1564189707994.jpg 20190720_201751_1564189745254.jpg 20190720_201800_013_1564189764253.jpg
5. Of course I needed resistors at that point, so I drilled some holes in the frame under the seat an mounted the resistors where they are out of sight. I spliced the wires in to the turn signal lights in the main wire bundle under the seat and rewrapped it, so it all looks factory. 20190719_183627_1564189804738.jpg 20190719_183604_1564189836041.jpg

I also several weeks ago sprayed all the tins with matte black PlastiDip. My 13NRS is the vivid black with the perforated graphics down the side. I love the flat black, but its a bit plain. My next plan is to vinyl wrap it in gloss black with metallic flat black racing stripes. And instead of "Harley Davidson" on the sides, I'm going to add just the outline of the bar and shield in grey.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Started packing for Sturgis. Looks like the zipper on one of the muscle bags has failed. As has the zipper on every HD item I have ever owned. :banghead: So the contents (raingear) goes into a plastic bag. Not to keep the rain gear dry, but to keep it fro mildewing. Leaving Monday first light.

·
Black Denim F
1,046 Posts
Started packing for Sturgis. Looks like the zipper on one of the muscle bags has failed. As has the zipper on every HD item I have ever owned. :banghead: So the contents (raingear) goes into a plastic bag. Not to keep the rain gear dry, but to keep it fro mildewing. Leaving Monday first light.
Same experience here with those damn HD item zippers. :bs: Have a great time at Sturgis. One of these days I will be there. Ride safe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After a couple cold beers, I grabbed a scrap piece of chrome Diamondplate I had laying around and fabricated a front fork plate around some chrome twin moto headlights I installed a couple weekends —primarily to clean up and hide the wires from controls, and my redneck electrician wire work. I kinda like the Industrial VRatRod look. We will see if I still like it tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got rearended at a stoplight by a drunk driver.... He ran... Now i need a new license plate holder...

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Last nite, I Installed new mirrors. I did try them inverted—which blew. The topside mount was much better-safer.

Attachments

·
Asatruar
2,903 Posts
Gave it the "annual bath". :twisted:

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Ok, folks this is a good one. Hed an issue with a flickering Daymaker headlight. Nothing else flickered, It was a little jumping when starting. I chased everything and it only happened when the engine was running. Finally figured out it was a ground issue (no surprise, but I checked, I thought), Seems on my bike the kickstand rubs against the shift linkage, which I found out, grounds the engine to the frame. But when vibrating.... A friend figured it out, and added a separate ground engine to frame.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Ok, folks this is a good one. Hed an issue with a flickering Daymaker headlight. Nothing else flickered, It was a little jumping when starting. I chased everything and it only happened when the engine was running. Finally figured out it was a ground issue (no surprise, but I checked, I thought), Seems on my bike the kickstand rubs against the shift linkage, which I found out, grounds the engine to the frame. But when vibrating.... A friend figured it out, and added a separate ground engine to frame.
So, is the ground cable from the sump pan to the frame crossbar missing?

7861 - 7880 of 7930 Posts