Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

2121 - 2140 of 2177 Posts

·
Departed the Fix.
5,127 Posts
Go to Ronnie's and look at their PartsFinder: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Then, look up "VRSCDX" for model years 2012-2017.

Each model year has the visor in different colors, so you'll have to look at each year (2017-2016-2015-2014-2013-2012) to find the color you want-- I think there's even a chrome one in there.

From there, you'll get the part number.

Use that part number to search for the cheapest price online. I'm partial to Newcastle, but their shipping is expensive so they're only a really good deal if you order a bunch of parts.

If you are installing on an F WITH a Budman's riser, you'll also need the two mounting bolts that go in from the front-- they're a bit longer than the stock F bolts. It's a complete "plug and play" with no modifications to the bike required.

Oh-- leave the little wire cover that Budman supplies on-- that will cover up the wires, and the DX visor will cover up the cover.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A few updates

Added the DX visor. Since my bike has all carbon fiber panels I searched high and low for an actual carbon fiber DX visor. No dice (well other than the very expensive ONE I found in Germany which does not match my current panels pattern/color at all).

So I took it to a hydrodip/hydroprint place. They only took 5 weeks for what was supposed to be 2-3 weeks to get it done. I digress.

While it was there I had them Cerakote the front bolts for the visor as I figured it would make it "blend" a bit more. Indeed it turned out quite well for being fake carbon.

Installed Budman's riser. Was not too bad of an install until I forgot to loosen the throttle cable adjusters and turned the handlebar. POP! There went the old Kury cheesy grips that came with this bike. Oh well. I "upgraded" with some Avon black air grips and the G2 Ergo 1/4 turn throttle pre-installed. Killed a couple birds with one stone here (and I am sure my back will thank me after riding with the riser finally).

Had the backrest and luggage rack powder coated a nice gloss black. Always hated the chrome-y looking stock finish. I also blacked out the rear tail light assembly with a few careful applications of Niteshade (and it is MORE than bright enough still). I am waiting for Angelo at DutchCustoms to release the Audi style mod for the light which will make it even nicer (and more importantly brighter)....

Now if I can just finish my project X I will be good to go (details coming soon).

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to Ronnie's and look at their PartsFinder: http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

Then, look up "VRSCDX" for model years 2012-2017.

Each model year has the visor in different colors, so you'll have to look at each year (2017-2016-2015-2014-2013-2012) to find the color you want-- I think there's even a chrome one in there.

From there, you'll get the part number.

Use that part number to search for the cheapest price online. I'm partial to Newcastle, but their shipping is expensive so they're only a really good deal if you order a bunch of parts.

If you are installing on an F WITH a Budman's riser, you'll also need the two mounting bolts that go in from the front-- they're a bit longer than the stock F bolts. It's a complete "plug and play" with no modifications to the bike required.

Oh-- leave the little wire cover that Budman supplies on-- that will cover up the wires, and the DX visor will cover up the cover.
Anyone has the part number for "Chrome"? Also did the NRS come in "White Hot Denim" or "Midnight Pearl" any year? I have two sets of tins.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,127 Posts
Anyone has the part number for "Chrome"? Also did the NRS come in "White Hot Denim" or "Midnight Pearl" any year? I have two sets of tins.
Seriously?

I already gave you step by step instructions to find the part numbers. Go look up the 2012-2017 DX's yourself and you'll find the answer to both questions.

Sheesh.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I love the dual exhaust on the F.... but wanted more performance.... and need the 2 into 1 exhaust to maximize HP gains. What to do.... well... having a guy custom weld up my Akrapovic exhaust into my TAB muffler.... then custom a pseudo pipe for the left side.... next up... black powder coating on the exhaust.... here are the pics post weld / pre powder coating.

After that.... Jones Stage 3 cams.... 158mm TB...Moto Hooligan Intake and a tune. Few more weeks.... but very excited to ride this once it's finished!

Attachments

·
Registered
661 Posts
I love the dual exhaust on the F.... but wanted more performance.... and need the 2 into 1 exhaust to maximize HP gains. What to do.... well... having a guy custom weld up my Akrapovic exhaust into my TAB muffler.... then custom a pseudo pipe for the left side.... next up... black powder coating on the exhaust.... here are the pics post weld / pre powder coating.

After that.... Jones Stage 3 cams.... 158mm TB...Moto Hooligan Intake and a tune. Few more weeks.... but very excited to ride this once it's finished!
You're going to P/C the pipes? Have you done this before? I did a good bit of research on it and nobody really seems to have success with the heat of the headers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Personally I haven't had this done, however my fabricator has on numerous bikes. Apparently this is a different type of coating that will withstand the heat, so I'll trust him and his experience with this coating.

·
Departed the Fix.
5,127 Posts
Personally I haven't had this done, however my fabricator has on numerous bikes. Apparently this is a different type of coating that will withstand the heat, so I'll trust him and his experience with this coating.
https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/

Yes, it works to reduce heat.

HOWEVER-- it does tend to scratch fairly easily (or at least the earlier generation did).

I have it on my header pipes under the heat shields-- so you don't notice a scratch here or there.

It also has a sort of "different" finish compared to powdercoat-- I'd recommend you look at a sample before you do your pipes. What's acceptable to a guy who wants your business and what's acceptable to you on your toy may or may not be the same.

Just sayin'.

R.

R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
While I'm not certain the name of the coating, I did see a few of the bikes he had done this coating on the exhaust. It was a very nice flat black look. I liked it.... so that's why I went with it. Hopefully another week or so and I'll get the bike back with the finished results.

·
Registered
661 Posts
https://www.cerakotehightemp.com/

Yes, it works to reduce heat.

HOWEVER-- it does tend to scratch fairly easily (or at least the earlier generation did).

I have it on my header pipes under the heat shields-- so you don't notice a scratch here or there.

It also has a sort of "different" finish compared to powdercoat-- I'd recommend you look at a sample before you do your pipes. What's acceptable to a guy who wants your business and what's acceptable to you on your toy may or may not be the same.

Just sayin'.

R.

R.
I'm familiar with cerakote, thanks! He said powder, which is why I was concerned/curious.

There's also Jet Hot. I talked to them a year or so ago. Lifetime warranty. You send them your parts. I think I'm going to let them do the headers on my chopper next winter.

https://www.jet-hot.com/

·
Registered
30 Posts
You're very welcome.
Installed. Like the new look. I removed a small "Fly Screen" shield to fit.

Now I feel the wind a lot more. I didn't think that small screen was blocking any wind...mostly for looks...not sure anymore.

Could it all be in my mind about the wind? And is there a way to fit the Fly Screen with the new chrome headlight bracket?

·
Departed the Fix.
5,127 Posts
Installed. Like the new look. I removed a small "Fly Screen" shield to fit.

Now I feel the wind a lot more. I didn't think that small screen was blocking any wind...mostly for looks...not sure anymore.

Could it all be in my mind about the wind? And is there a way to fit the Fly Screen with the new chrome headlight bracket?
There's ALWAYS a way.

Maybe not cost effective or worth the effort, but there's always a way.

Post up before and after pictures so we can get an idea of fitment, clearances, etc.?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Updated pics with the cerakote applied and set up on the bike. Next up.... Jones Stage 3 came installed.... Throttle body.... and new Tune.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Taming the exhaust

I have alway liked the looks of the V&H competition slip-on pipes, but the drone produce when riding with a full face helmet was to much for the ears. When wearing hearing protection it was way better, but was looking for a better solution. After searching around the web I decided to weld up a set and see if it improved.

Using 1 1/2 inch pipe I made three cutouts, welded in a diverting plate in each. I made a template of the perforated baffle plate and welded it to the pipe. I mounted the new baffle inside the original baffle and wrapped the it with exhaust packing. Put it all back together, put in the zero map and started her up. The sound level is definitely improved. The last thing on the list was to tighten up the mirror and snapped the bolt... so much for taking her out for a ride. Now I have no choice but to look for a better option like bar end mirrors and turn signals... thankfully, it’s supposed to rain for the next week so I don’t feel like I’m totally missing out.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Exhaust taming...

Finally got the mirror fixed and was able to get the bike for a ride for sound test. Levels were greatly improved, but it feels like she is choking. So it’s back to the drawing board. Maybe I will shorten the diverting plates and see what happens or start from scratch. Opinions?

2121 - 2140 of 2177 Posts