Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright getting ready to head out to day, standing around smoking a cig I notice that my fork tubes are two different heights. So I grab the ruler out of the garage and measure them. The right side (Throttle side) has higher by about 1/8 of an inch. Never noticed this before but did notice that every now and then it felt like I was fighting in turns. So I take the bike up for the Dealer and the manager says I must have better eyes then him because he can't see the difference. I finally got him to grab a ruler and look at it and agrees it's high. He says it will be abit but one of his guys will look at it. Well 45mins later he comes up to the showroom and tells me my bike is done. Everything is fine got home and measured them and they are both dead on. But now what could this have damaged? Don't know how long its been like that other then it had to have been like it when I bought it. And I've put almost 2.5k miles on it since then. Do I need to worry about things like the tire, and bearings or brakes being screwie because of this? Thanks for any insight on this later Kris

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Well, as long as you survived nothing else would get affected IMHO.
Good eye sight, must have been smoking somethig good to concetrate that long to find something like this.:D

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
Gdub said:
I thought your front axle would keep the tubes at the same height?

No...one spring would have been compressed 1/8 inch more than the other. I seriously doubt a human being could feel that difference. And I seriously doubt that it could damage anything...

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VRSCD_KSA said:
Well, as long as you survived nothing else would get affected IMHO.
Good eye sight, must have been smoking somethig good to concetrate that long to find something like this.:D
Camel Lights LOL :spank:

Anyways I don't notice a change at all really while shooting straight but I did notice that when I'm taking corners now that when I hit the dip for the rain gutters, or bumps and such that its a much smoother ride thru them. Almost like the forks aren't fighting them selves any more!:chair:

·
Premium Member
3,516 Posts
myvrodrocks said:
No...one spring would have been compressed 1/8 inch more than the other. I seriously doubt a human being could feel that difference. And I seriously doubt that it could damage anything...

Good call.

·
To boost or not??
1,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your input after ridding for a couple more hours today I didn't seem to notice anything else off about it. Hopefully next time I decide to smoke I don't find the swingarm falling off or something LOL

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
No damage was done. Likely caused by hitting a good bump and one of the fork tubes had insufficient clamp load. It will cause it to pull a bit. In the future so you know your measurment areas are from the front lip of the hex nut on the fork tube and the top surface of the front of the upper triple tree or fork bracket. That measurement should be even and should be between 6.4-9.7 mm above the surface of the tree. Your triple tree pinch bolts should be torqued to 41-47nm.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Wow, millimeters and newton meters. I think ray has gone European on us :diablo:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts