Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy smokes! I just reached my 500 break in miles today and took her up to 8000 rpm's in second gear and I was doing somewhere between 80 and 85 MPH! What does this thing do in third???It must be a great 1/8 mile dragtrack bike, you don't have to shift much!The biggest problem I had was hanging on! I was wear ski warm up pants and as I accelerated my whole body tried to slip off the rear! It's is very hard to pull the clutch in for a shift when your hanging on to the bars by your fingertips to stay on the bike! I had to change my underwear when I got home! Scared me! I can't wait to do it again! Fred the fryguy :vrod: :angeldev: :D

·
Ghost Rider
534 Posts
Sounds like its time for a new seat. Why?

1. you soiled the current one :angeldev:
2. more support on acceleration :ride:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your right Juan!

I'm only 5'6" and I have to pull my self forward as it is, but accelerating, I'll need a Corbin seat with a backrest and a seatbelt! Wow, what fun! fredfryguy

ErVikingo said:
Sounds like its time for a new seat. Why?

1. you soiled the current one :angeldev:
2. more support on acceleration :ride:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fred,

How is the big rear tire at that speed? Did it turn well, or did you have to put a lot of effort into it? Just curious...

-Bry

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Speed in Gears.

Stock (30/72) 1-61mph, 2-91, 3-113, 4-132, 5-147

28T (28/72) 1-57mph, 2-85, 3-106, 4-123, 5-137

John

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going straight, thank God.....

Hi Bry, All kidding a side, the bike feels good to me in turns. Mine you that I never had a stock tire on this bike. I feel more comfortable in corners then I did with my various softtails. Not as good ay my 1999 101 hp Buell! But, really, I feel good in the turns so far and believe me I'm not afraid to push a bike. Hope this helps, Fred :angeldev: :diablo: :diablo:
bbruce65 said:
Fred,

How is the big rear tire at that speed? Did it turn well, or did you have to put a lot of effort into it? Just curious...

-Bry

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!!106-113 in third!!!!!

Ketsugo said:
Stock (30/72) 1-61mph, 2-91, 3-113, 4-132, 5-147

28T (28/72) 1-57mph, 2-85, 3-106, 4-123, 5-137

John
John, I did fail to mention the bike does have the 30 tooth 28mm offset front spocket. I have a 28 on order with Eurocomponents. Thanks for the feedback. With the 28 spocket what is your rpm's at 60 MPH? Thanks, fred :angeldev: :diablo:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
fredfryguy said:
Hi Bry, All kidding a side, the bike feels good to me in turns. Mine you that I never had a stock tire on this bike. I feel more comfortable in corners then I did with my various softtails. Not as good ay my 1999 101 hp Buell! But, really, I feel good in the turns so far and believe me I'm not afraid to push a bike. Hope this helps, Fred :angeldev: :diablo: :diablo:
:mrgr: :mrgr: I remember the first time I rode mine. I thought it would never turn. It seemed like I had to lean it onto it's side to get it to budge!! It was quite different from my old Honda. But once I got the feel of it, it's been a a blast!

Love the looks of your 240, unfortunately I don't have the cash to make that mod yet. :broke: Probably will upgrade to the 200 Metz first.

Have a good one, and ride a mile or two for me. Sounds like we get freezing rain tonight, then some snow tomorrow. Winter sucks!! :yak:

-Bry

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I guess it depends on what you're used to riding. When I made the switch to the v-rod from the sportster, it felt like all I had to do was think about it and the v-rod would turn, compared to that other one.

Still thinkin about that sportbike here...

We're due for 6-9" of snow tomorrow afternoon, Bry. Winter REALLY sucks!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
59 degrees in southern NC!

Sorry to be a spoil sport! Fred :angeldev: :goof: :goof:

Val said:
I guess it depends on what you're used to riding. When I made the switch to the v-rod from the sportster, it felt like all I had to do was think about it and the v-rod would turn, compared to that other one.

Still thinkin about that sportbike here...

We're due for 6-9" of snow tomorrow afternoon, Bry. Winter REALLY sucks!!!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Val,
I know that this is :eek:fftopic:, but how did you like the Sportster? A friend of mine at work is thinking of getting her first bike. Her husband's '01 Road King was totalled last week in a garage fire, and she's trying to talk him into a less expensive bike so she can get one for herself. She has never riden solo, but wants to try it. Would a Sportster 883 or 1200 be a better fit? She's about 5'4", 120ish.

-Bry

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
Bry, the v-rod is the better FIT. No beginner rider should get a sportster, IMNSHO. They're top-heavy and a real PITA without MAJOR modifications, and even then, they are still nowhere as easy to ride as a v-rod. I understand the cost issue, but I'd actually recommend some other brand of bike (heresy, I know) before suggesting a sporty. If she has to have an HD, a low-rider, fatboy or softail would be MUCH better to learn with than a sportster. It's not that she couldn't do it - even I learned to ride on one of the dammed things. It's just not enough fun.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
fred, did you check out the forward seat? (Did we have this discussion about seats?)

Val

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Val,

Thanks for the toughts, but the V-Rod is out. She won't even sit on mine! She's completely petrified of it! She's used to riding on fast bikes (husband owned a V-Max and a Maurader), but thinks it would be too much for her to handle.

I will pass on your thoughts. Thanks!

-Bry

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
fredfryguy said:
John, I did fail to mention the bike does have the 30 tooth 28mm offset front spocket. I have a 28 on order with Eurocomponents. Thanks for the feedback. With the 28 spocket what is your rpm's at 60 MPH? Thanks, fred :angeldev: :diablo:

Fred,
I don't remember for sure but you can figure it out if you know what it is with your 30T pulley. It will be 7% higher with the 28T. So if it was 3800 rpm with the 30T it would be 4066 rpm with the 28T.

John

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
bbruce65 said:
Val,
I know that this is :eek:fftopic:, but how did you like the Sportster? A friend of mine at work is thinking of getting her first bike. Her husband's '01 Road King was totalled last week in a garage fire, and she's trying to talk him into a less expensive bike so she can get one for herself. She has never riden solo, but wants to try it. Would a Sportster 883 or 1200 be a better fit? She's about 5'4", 120ish.

-Bry
i might be wrong but i think the 883 and the 1200 share the same frame.
i too have heard the sportster is a PITA to use as a first bike due to handling reasons.

Fred is'nt it great to be able to cruise to 60 in 1st before changing gears?
i love it.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Shawn, I'm sure that you are right. However, is there is a weight as well as power difference with the two engine sizes?

Personally, I think that she might be better off with a smaller Honda or Yamaha. Maybe a V Star Custom??

-Bry

-Bry

·
Metal Guitarist
5,201 Posts
the 883 weighs in at 555.0 lbs.
the 1200c at 554.0 lbs

A metric would probably be the best thing to start on ,i had a shadow 1100 (sold to my dad) and it was/still is a great bike...i put cobra drag pipes on it and it sounds more like a Harley than most new Harley's do...lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Val and Bry

My wife's 2nd bike and 1st harley was a sporty. She didn't have it for a week and she wanted to try something else as she almost got blown off the road due a strong sidewind. She tested a 1994 Fatboy lowered front and rear and loved it! Even know it is heavier it balanced so easily due to the low center of gravity. I'm with ya'all, sporties should not be beginner's bikes!Val, I haven't seen nor tested the forward seat but I will look to find and feel one! :angeldev: :ride: :mrgr: Fred

Val said:
fred, did you check out the forward seat? (Did we have this discussion about seats?)

Val

1 - 20 of 25 Posts