Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What age/height do you recommenrd for pillions as a minimum? I know that maturity also comes into it, but what experience do you have? My daughter is 5 and a half and wants to go on the back of daddy's bike. I think she is too young and too short.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
Karl Scott said:
What age/height do you recommenrd for pillions as a minimum? I know that maturity also comes into it, but what experience do you have? My daughter is 5 and a half and wants to go on the back of daddy's bike. I think she is too young and too short.
I've seen young ones on the back of bikes. If her feet can touch the pegs I'd say try it.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
I'd tend to agree with you that 5 is too young to go on the back of a street-going motorcycle. I know it looks cute when you see a small kid tucked back there, but being a passenger requires resources of concentration and strength that I'm not sure such a young child has. If nothing else, its unlikely your daughter has arms long enough to reach completely around your waist.

One compromise you might consider is to offer to enroll your daughter in dirt bike school once she turns 6 (this is the minimum age for kids at Honda's school here in the US - it may be different in Oz.) The classes they run are completely age-appropriate, and are an excellent introduction to motorcycling in a safe and controlled manner.

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. I haven't actually sat her on there with me on it so the arm lenght thing I had not considered. The thing that worries me is if she just forgets to hang on properly. I should try the dirt bike school, I'll have a look around and see if she's keen. She already does ballet, swimming and ju jitsu, so I dunno where the time will come from, but she is a funny one - loves fairies and frills, but is the one dressed like Barbie in the Nutcracker who is knee deep in the mud with one boy in a headlock while she discusses the finer points of plaits with her girlfriend. A real girly girl when it suits, but takes no prisoners and always the filthiest child in the playground after a few hours.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
"but takes no prisoners and always the filthiest child in the playground", sounds like she might take after her daddy. No doubt, the sweetheart of his eye.

·
Registered
587 Posts
mines 5 1/2 also, I let her ride around the block with me and I never get out of first gear. I have a velcro strap with handles that I wear for her to hold on to my sides instead of around my waist I also have a back rest. It makes her happy for now, lol.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Karl
One of my best memories is of being taken to school on the back of my dad's bike when I was about 4 or 5 (though I was tall for my age then). OK it wasn't a V Rod - and I don't suppose there was as much traffic around then - but I don't think that matters because it would be the safest you have EVER ridden if you let her have a go on the back. Try a short ride first on a quiet road. She'll love it - and you even more than she does now.

Christine

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
my boys have all been on my bike... youngest is 11. I know, not quite the same, but I sure was careful that day

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
If her feet can reach the footpegs,
If her head can fit PROPERLY inside a helmet,
If she has PROPERLY FITTING jacket, gloves and boots,
and is capable of comprehending and executing what is expected of a passenger

Then she is old enough to be one.

The dirt bike thing is a great idea! My brother-in-law and I are already shopping for a first dirt bike for my nephew. He'll be three in August and we'll probably start him out in the spring. Look out WSB in 2020!

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Mine are 9(girl) and 6(boy) both of them love to ride they have a 4 wheeler of there own and love it. I just put a sundowner and back rest on mine so I feel better about riding them around the house. I started mine of when they were 3 and 5 so give the girl a ride. I make mine wear there dirt bike helmets
they look like Jack from jack in the box. :rofl2: :rofl2:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
My son is 9 and we rode 3hrs round trip saturday, I have the corbin dual touring seat.He said that his butt was sore but being a new seat it will get better with time.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My son is 10 now and has been riding with me since he was 4. I had a wide strap that went around my waist with handles on each end for him to hang on too. Can't remember where I purchased it from, some motorcycle accessory shop.
Initialy when he was 4 I would stick to the back roads, low traffic, for saftey. Now he rides anywhere with me.

·
skin changer
824 Posts
I'll be devils advacate----could you live with yourself if something (god forbid) terriable would happen?
You must know when YOU and the child feels comfortable.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Karl,

My daughter was 6 when I started her slowly on my Sportster. Little puts through the neighborhood and about a mile down the road to get an ice cream cone in the evening, after rush hour was well over. I had many talks with her about safety before and during those little neighborhood puts. We worked out a set of hand signals and such so she knew how to tell me to stop for whatever reason such as a bee in the helmet or equipment come loose...or maybe she just needs a break. Like I said, this communication is VERY important. A tap on the left shoulder means she needs to tell me something at the next stoplight and on the right means pull over as soon as possible. Little things like that.

I have only had one bad situation in 5 years of riding with her on back. I went through a swarm of yellow jackets (bees!). 5 got in my shirt and were stinging the shit out of me. Man, that was torture trying to stay calm with the painful stings of 5 bees in my shirt but with the kid on back, I was very able to keep cool untill I could pull over, shutoff the bike, and then dance around in front of some dudes house. He thought I was on methamphetamines or something! LOL Bottom line, things happen and you will need to be prepared.

She is now ten years old and my favorite riding pal. She knows to stay upright and let me do the leaning in the turns. I did not let her ride untill she could fully reach the passenger pegs flat footed with a slight bend in the knees.

Helmets. Be sure to get a full coverage helmet that is not too heavy for her head. Also, an overlooked fact of safety is the UV protective eyewear. They need this as well. Also, the rule was that she had to wear jeans and her leather hiking boots or she could not ride. Leather jacket also.

Ride slow and safely as well as plan your times to ride at "off peak" times. Take it easy and enjoy your time with your special girl! Summer is aproaching here in Michigan, USA now and she is already looking forward to those short little putts to the ice cream store!

Riding with the kid can be a very enjoyable experience with a little premptive safety measures...like asking the wuestion you did! Good onya!

Later,
Gary

·
Registered
45 Posts
If she can reach the pegs and be fitted for protective gear, all should be well. My son started riding with me at 9. My brother's daughters started riding with him younger than that. An interesting option is a "Childlens riding belt" I've seen on the internet. It is a body harness worn by the child with a pad behind the head so there head doesn't rock back and forth causing bumping of helmets. it also has a pad between the driver and the passenger with handlebars for the child to hold onto. Finally it has a strap that goes around the driver. I've read that the child can fall asleep and will not fall off the bike. It's good for children up to 90 pounds. If memory serves me right the belt costs about $140.00 delivered. If you are interested let me know and I'll look for and post a link to their website.

My son was over 80 pounds when he started riding with me so I opted to get him a full body harness. I wear a harness that is attached to the D-rings on his waist. He can either hold on to my D-rings and lean back or hug me around the waist. Either way if I needed to get off the bike quickly he would be attached to me, not the bike. May not be the coolest looking, but safety is always top priority, especially with my son.

Most importantly, change the seat. My son hated the stock seat but loves riding so much that he was always game to go out for short rides. But since I changed to the sundowner seat, he goes for longer rides without any complaints.

·
Riding around
7,736 Posts
I read somewhere that outlaw clubs start their kids riding at about 8. Must be the authoritative source there...

·
Yeah, but what if...
4,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the ideas, suggestions etc. If you can get me a link vrodjim, that would be great. Thanks. Any other references to those sorts of "aids" would also be appreciated. Dungeonworks, I like the signal ideas as well. I will start working on that with her. Bit of theory too, and practise in the driveway. Thanks again people, all good suggestions.

·
Get a Grip!
696 Posts
I say why not? Use the common sence God gave you, stay out of heavy traffic, keep your eyes open, keep the speed down, make sure she knows the basics...and you and she will have a great time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts