Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing these swingarm covers with LEDs in them and I think they look pretty good. Of course though there is nothing offered in this area for the V-Rod. Therefore, what about putting LEDs on the axle cover? I think this has potential - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I've attached a pic below of the swingarm covers I'm referring to as well as a little "mock-up" of what I had in mind for the axle cover - pardon the crudity. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Doc, could you do something like this?

Attachments

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
fehrc...You might try the leds on the inside of the swing arm, with everything shined up it will look good. just my :2cents:

·
Registered
696 Posts
fehrc said:
I keep seeing these swingarm covers with LEDs in them and I think they look pretty good. Of course though there is nothing offered in this area for the V-Rod. Therefore, what about putting LEDs on the axle cover? I think this has potential - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I've attached a pic below of the swingarm covers I'm referring to as well as a little "mock-up" of what I had in mind for the axle cover - pardon the crudity. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know!

Doc, could you do something like this?
I like these alot

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
those covers are cool, but in the tradition of Kuryakyn, they are not very bright. :)

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
those covers are cool, but in the tradition of Kuryakyn, they are not very bright. :)
The trickis to make them bright enough to notice, but not so bright that they are distracting to the cagers.. :driving:

-Bry

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
I don't believe any motorcycle sized light on the back of a bike could be so bright that it would distract a soccer mom, in an Escalade, yapping on her cell phone... if anything it would draw the attention of such oblivious drivers.

Think about it, no matter how "distracting" a light could possibly be perceived as, it is going to draw eyeballs to you, the invisible guy on the motorcycle that no one seems to see until you're lying in the street... it's all about visibility and conspicuousness.

Look how many lights are on the back of a semi or even a regular car... usually at least a minimum of 4 running lights and 5 brake lights in which 4 of the brake lights are usually coming in around 27 watts... that's a lot of light!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
To a point I agree. However, there is a limit if how much is too much. There is a Honda GoldWing in the Detroit area that has so many light on it glows like a christmas tree. Yes, it is very visible, but you can't tell what he is about to do because his brake and turn signals blend in to all of the other 'accent' lights. And yes, it is very distracting....

BTW: The GoldWing is :moon: ugly!!!

-Bry

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
Hey! I wasn't talking about GoldWings or people who can't comprehend aesthetics!!

;) :D :p

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've also seen that guy in downtown Detroit and bbruce65 is not kidding. Red lights, amber lights and white lights all coming on at the same time. It's hard to tell if he's turning or stopping......

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
Hey! I wasn't talking about GoldWings or people who can't comprehend aesthetics!!

;) :D :p
Regardless, I hope that you consider making them.

If you are going to make them bright, maybe incorporate the turn signals into them..... Maybe sequential...like a '68 Merc Cougar!! :rolleyes:

-Bry

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey Joe, I don't recall exactly how much room there is behind these covers, however my gut feel is that there isn't a lot. Would you need a lot of room to work your magic?

I don't have an extra set, however I'm sure we could work out some kind of arrangement. If you're interested in making these, or making a prototype, shoot me an email.

·
Banned
924 Posts
I just measured mine and it has plenty of room for a string of LEDs on each side. If holes are drilled or a slot is cut out with the leds sticking out I think it has plenty of room and would look really nice. I took my shock mounts off and removed the covers. I measured 5/8" clearance from the back of the cover to the back end of the swingarm. This stayed pretty consistent the full depth of the cover. I can easily put my fat finger between the cover and the back end of the swingarm.

This could easily become a new product that would sell. As running lights they would look slick. Not sure they would make a good turn signal or brake light. It’s very low to the ground and cannot be seen very well on the right side because the exhaust covers the view from most angles except the rear.

I’ve posted pictures here!

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
well, come come now... it's just a quick photo-chop I did... what do you think?

looks like ass?

looks pretty cool?

looks like dog ass?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts